Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to the X51 Powerkit for 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021 | 05:59 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
You don't have to ever use the APR tune - you can install the turbos and then flash a cobb tune without ever installing an APR tune. They are, after all, OEM GTS turbos. As to the price, the X51 kit when it was available was some $8k+ at a minimum, with my dealer quoting me $12k for the parts alone. So, $6k for the turbos and all the seals, o-rings and gaskets to install it seems, to me at least, a reasonable price for something that I don't have to go around researching and trying to source individually. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the parts *weren't* marked up. It's also possible that they're able to get them at a wholesale price that you, given the qunatity of 1 left and 1 right turbo, won't be able to get. So while they may be marked up, they're still going to be cheaper than you sourcing it yourself and then having to find all the gaskets, o-rings, seals, etc. you will need.

If you consider that FVD provides the 600 series or 650 series remanufactured turbo - i.e., they take your existing turbochargers and change the internals and then return the same unit to you - you wind up paying $2,400 for the 650 series per turbo and $2,800 for the 600 series per turbo for a total of between $4,800 and $5,600. You don't get a 2nd set of turbochargers. Now, if you want to then consider that you can actually sell your original turbos if you get the GTS turbos, let's say you get - conservatively, $1k/turbo - and I'd be willing to bet that you'd be able to get more than that for them. That means your net cost for the APR turbos winds up being $4k. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to match that price anywhere.

As to bricking the car if you want to go from APR (assuming you ever flashed it) --> Cobb or some other tune - I have no real clue there. I know that Scott from Softronic has suggested that this is possible. I would imagine that you would need to revert from the APR tune --> a stock tune, and then from that tune to whatever the next one is. I have seen that other people have gone from one tune to another one, so it's clearly possible.
I totally agree with you on all counts, but I’m going to find the OEM part as provided to Porsche from Borg Warner.

I don’t want to buy the actual Porsche part. This is what’s included in the APR package. If I am correct, then the actual pricing should be closer to around 700-1000 per turbocharger.

I need the Porsche list to get all the other parts outside the turbos.
Old 04-26-2021 | 06:05 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

As for the tuning situation, I would be most comfortable using a COBB Protune with a local shop with dyno time like ByDesign or Gintani. This to me seems like a better option than just a OTS tune.
Old 04-26-2021 | 06:17 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by freshness
I totally agree with you on all counts, but I’m going to find the OEM part as provided to Porsche from Borg Warner.

I don’t want to buy the actual Porsche part. This is what’s included in the APR package. If I am correct, then the actual pricing should be closer to around 700-1000 per turbocharger.

I need the Porsche list to get all the other parts outside the turbos.
I'd be very surprised if you could get them for under $1k. Here's FCP Euro's price: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...er-53049880299 and https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...er-53049880298. Naturally they are backordered.

Outside of the turbos, it is literally just a set of o-rings, gaskets and seals at all the attach points for the turbos. I'd be really surprised if those were more than a small couple of hundred dollars.
Old 04-26-2021 | 06:44 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Pricing for just the turbos: $3800 each
https://www.porschepartsdepot.com/v-...and-components
Not sure how much cheaper or how much of a discount you can get off those prices.

Last edited by rugu6869; 04-26-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2021 | 07:36 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Pricing for just the turbos: $3800 each
https://www.porschepartsdepot.com/v-...and-components
Not sure how much cheaper or how much of a discount you can get off those prices.
​​​​​​​
Look at the post directly above yours.
Old 04-26-2021 | 07:37 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

I'd be very surprised if you could get them for under $1k. Here's FCP Euro's price: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...er-53049880299 and https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...er-53049880298. Naturally they are backordered.

Outside of the turbos, it is literally just a set of o-rings, gaskets and seals at all the attach points for the turbos. I'd be really surprised if those were more than a small couple of hundred dollars.
I appreciate you finding that for me, it will help tremendously. In fact, just that price alone I think is fine, if I can find it in stock!
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021 | 09:59 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Look at the post directly above yours.
​​​​​​​I was just posting "Porsche Part Price" for reference.
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:31 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

There's nothing to stop you from getting the turbo kit from APR and then getting an FVD or softronic or Cobb tuning for a GTS, because what APR supplies *is* the OEM GTS turbos. What you won't have from the X51 powerkit is the nice looking engine cover that says something like "X51" on it.
One more thing the owner won't have is existing Porsche warranty coverage, if something in the powertrain blows up or breaks.
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:39 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by PCA1983
One more thing the owner won't have is existing Porsche warranty coverage, if something in the powertrain blows up or breaks.
That’s kind of a given. Unless you actually get an X51 power kit and have Porsche do it - which is no longer possible - you’re going to have to go a tuner route and that effectively voids your powertrain warranty.
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:43 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

​​​​​​The Powerkit included GTS turbos, rear brake cooling ducts, and Porsche GTS software, and the larger rear axle bearings unless it has the RAS option. When it was available, the dealer-installed Powerkit could only be installed on the 991.2 S & 4S, and also required Sport Chrono. .
The following 2 users liked this post by PCA1983:
catdog2 (01-23-2023), freshness (05-01-2021)
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:48 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

That’s kind of a given. Unless you actually get an X51 power kit and have Porsche do it - which is no longer possible - you’re going to have to go a tuner route and that effectively voids your powertrain warranty.
True enough, but given that the internals of all of the 991.2 Carrera engines are identical, if you stay close to the power and torque of the stock GTS, your chances of a meltdown are minimal. Unless, of course, your tuner is an idiot.
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:01 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

I was just browsing around and realized this seems to be discontinued, while the 991.1 version continues to be offered.

is anyone aware of any reason why?
I don’t know if anyone ever answered your “why” question - I was told by Porsche North America that it was emissions related. If you recall there was a “reassessment” of GTS fuel economy and a settlement that went out to owners. Originally they withdrew the kit to recertify, then decided it wasn’t worth the cost of doing so. No plans to bring it back.
The following users liked this post:
freshness (05-01-2021)
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:06 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by PCA1983
​​​​​​The Powerkit included GTS turbos, rear brake cooling ducts, and Porsche GTS software, and the larger rear axle bearings unless it has the RAS option. When it was available, the dealer-installed Powerkit could only be installed on the 991.2 S & 4S, and also required Sport Chrono. .
Yes indeed. I was talking about what was in the APR GTS turbo kit.

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
True enough, but given that the internals of all of the 991.2 Carrera engines are identical, if you stay close to the power and torque of the stock GTS, your chances of a meltdown are minimal. Unless, of course, your tuner is an idiot.
LOL, yes. Hopefully APR is not a set of idiots (I jest, I jest, but of course that’s always in the back of one’s mind when doing a tune and obviously with the higher power from their tune there will be more wear and tear and shortened component lifespan).

Quick Reply: What happened to the X51 Powerkit for 991.2?