Sponsored by:

Power socket anomoly

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 10:27 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Power socket anomoly

Just wanted to alert folks about something I found a while ago about the "auto-off" feature of the power sockets in the footwell and console.
They normally stay on for approx 30mins after leaving the car, however if you charge the battery via the commonly added tap into the battery you will find the sockets power up and stay so after the charger is removed.
So if you have your dashcam and radar detector plugged in to that very convenient footwell socket, be aware that a top up charge will turn into a continuous discharge when the charger is removed.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:32 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Not understanding, so are you saying that if you have say a CTEK charger connected to battery and charging, the footwell socket does not go off? Then when you remove the CTEK charger, the socket still does not go off and will drain the battery?
Old 04-22-2021, 10:54 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

You understood well, that's exactly it.
Pretty sure you could unlock and lock the car and it would go back to normal.

Last edited by _RS_; 04-22-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure what’s wrong with your car, but mine act normally. Ctek on for 2 months. Remove. Start car. Plug radar detector into same socket. Shuts off on it own when turning off car.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:54 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
Not sure what’s wrong with your car, but mine act normally. Ctek on for 2 months. Remove. Start car. Plug radar detector into same socket. Shuts off on it own when turning off car.
As I said "Pretty sure you could unlock and lock the car and it would go back to normal."

This is when you DON'T do anything but charge through an externally accessible battery port. Previous GTS and current GT3 the same.

Last edited by _RS_; 04-23-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:18 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,211 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Just wanted to alert folks about something I found a while ago about the "auto-off" feature of the power sockets in the footwell and console.
They normally stay on for approx 30mins after leaving the car, however if you charge the battery via the commonly added tap into the battery you will find the sockets power up and stay so after the charger is removed.
So if you have your dashcam and radar detector plugged in to that very convenient footwell socket, be aware that a top up charge will turn into a continuous discharge when the charger is removed.
Yes, RS speaks truth. I have noticed this. As a matter of fact, connecting battery charger will turn on those sockets when charging, so you dash cam and radar detector will be on for the entire time you are charging if it is connected to a socket.. At least in my case. Note: this applies to the sockets - if you have you RD or dash cam hard wired, there will be no effect.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 04-23-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Power socket anomoly