Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my car to dealership. What non-mechanical services would/could you ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 460 Posts
Default Taking my car to dealership. What non-mechanical services would/could you ask for?

Taking my car to dealership to get my spark plugs changed per recommended 4 year interval. So far I'm doing all the other maintenance stuff on my own. What non-mechanical services would/could you ask for? For instance, would you ask for a DME report? Can I get them to reprogram my keys so that the windows and sunroof close when the door-lock button is pressed on the remote? Is there anything else you can think of that one may want the dealer to do through reprogramming etc that I would otherwise be unable to do on my own? I just changed by oil and brake fluid but I'm guessing they wont reset that service interval but I can ask. Since they're changing the spark plugs which is part of a 4 year major service, I'm guessing they'll have to reset that service interval request. Also, I know that my dealer charges in 30 min labor intervals. I'm figuring that anything PROGRAMMING or REPORT related like this shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Is that reasonable?

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 04-22-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Well, here's the list of thigs they SHOULD NOT DO:

1) Change tire pressures
2) Wash car

The following 4 users liked this post by LexVan:
desmotesta (04-22-2021), Omega4 (04-22-2021), Rich_Jenkins (04-22-2021), SConn (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

1) Change tire pressures Overinflate the tires to bone jarring ride levels
2) Wash car Add swirl marks all over your car and take the wheel brush down the front of your hood

Agreed
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 05:47 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

cup of coffee,,not anymore since Covid:{
Old 04-22-2021, 07:25 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Off hand, from my recent 30K service for plugs on my '17 991.2, notes below. (I DIY'd the oil change and both filters prior to arriving at the dealer.)

- Asked about DME report, my SA said sure, they run those all the time. Nominal fee (which I interpreted as $50, but didn't confirm. Probably varies by dealer). I might do this next time.
- They stamped/signed my Porsche service book. I am a bit OCD about this, and I know these days it's all "in the computer" but I am old school and am used to the Dealer stamping the car docs.
- Following the plug replacement, my SA did an inspection for the "30K", provided me the report, and reset the service minder appropriately. This was complementary (I brought in a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed, which may or may not have helped. )

I did catch my SA and tell him NO WASH, thank goodness. On the way home, there was enough vibration that my back molars were coming loose. Sure enough, I checked the TPMS and realized they had jacked up the pressures to the service limit, full load, Autobahn speed levels. Geez. I dunno why they do that - liability!? Anyway, I deflated them to my normal levels and all was well.

I have never heard of a feature where the windows/sunroof close if you press/hold the lock button (last car that did that was my '09 E92 M3), so can't help you there. That would be a cool thing, if so.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 04-22-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:39 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

The dealer will definitely charge more than half an hour for spark plugs. Parts alone are eye watering. If you have a sunroof maybe have them check the drains and make sure they are open. If you can find a good Indy shop you’d probably be better off.

NF
Old 04-22-2021, 08:48 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Yeaaaah... plugs are a little longer than half an hour. List is 2.3 hours. The plugs themselves are just shy of $100 from most places.

Unless OP is asking if things like service reset/DME readout/etc. are going to be 30 minute charges, in which case that depends on the dealer. Local dealer here wants $75 for a DME printout, which is a bit under the value of 30 minutes of tech time. Interestingly enough, the service advisor can (and has) done this for me in the past.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:11 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

how about an insurance policy against some random technician f#@$-ing up your car?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Extra fresh warm chocolate chip cookies and a well stocked espresso machine
Old 04-23-2021, 08:28 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Yeaaaah... plugs are a little longer than half an hour. List is 2.3 hours. The plugs themselves are just shy of $100 from most places.

Unless OP is asking if things like service reset/DME readout/etc. are going to be 30 minute charges, in which case that depends on the dealer. Local dealer here wants $75 for a DME printout, which is a bit under the value of 30 minutes of tech time. Interestingly enough, the service advisor can (and has) done this for me in the past.
Sorry, I updated the OP as the way I had written it was misleading. Yes, the spark plugs are ridiculously expensive. $913 + tax to be exact (parts incl). A reputable indy wanted $700 but they told me they charge the same for the 991.1 and the 991.2 suggested to me they were unaware of the difference in the labor and probably haven't done many 991.2 spark plug changes. The dealer will also perform a multipoint inspection and the service will show up on CarFax so I guess that's what I get for the extra $200.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:29 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

1) Change tire pressures
2) Wash car

Amen!
Old 04-23-2021, 09:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Go somewhere else

Where they won't abuse you sexually.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Taking my car to dealership to get my spark plugs changed per recommended 4 year interval. So far I'm doing all the other maintenance stuff on my own. What non-mechanical services would/could you ask for? For instance, would you ask for a DME report? Can I get them to reprogram my keys so that the windows and sunroof close when the door-lock button is pressed on the remote? Is there anything else you can think of that one may want the dealer to do through reprogramming etc that I would otherwise be unable to do on my own? I just changed by oil and brake fluid but I'm guessing they wont reset that service interval but I can ask. Since they're changing the spark plugs which is part of a 4 year major service, I'm guessing they'll have to reset that service interval request. Also, I know that my dealer charges in 30 min labor intervals. I'm figuring that anything PROGRAMMING or REPORT related like this shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Is that reasonable?
For what they will charge you for fee for reprogramming, consider buying a Durametric Pro to do yourself and then you still have the Durametric for future use. If you do not want to pay cost of Durametric Pro, review posts/threads on here re Foxwell NT 530 which members report here has limited reprogamming capabilities.

Also consider replacing coils with plugs. Coils tend to be a weakness on these cars due to heat. While others may disagree,I automatically replace coils with plugs as no additional labor.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

For reference, at the dealer here in Tampa in Feb I paid $150 for six plugs (they are $17.60 at Sunset, each, so $25 retail is not bad I guess). The big cost was the labor, $481.91. That job probably books out at 2 and a bit hours, so at their $200 an hour shop rate, that makes sense, given what you have to do.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:30 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
For what they will charge you for fee for reprogramming, consider buying a Durametric Pro to do yourself and then you still have the Durametric for future use. If you do not want to pay cost of Durametric Pro, review posts/threads on here re Foxwell NT 530 which members report here has limited reprogamming capabilities.

Also consider replacing coils with plugs. Coils tend to be a weakness on these cars due to heat. While others may disagree,I automatically replace coils with plugs as no additional labor.
I would change the coils if it weren't for the fact that my car only has ~8k miles on the odometer. 4 years old which is why I'm getting the service done now. My biggest concern albeit an unlikely issue was the plugs seizing due to time. If the coils were in need of replacing, that would be a lot more straightforward and less likely to cause more costly headaches. Perhaps the next go around I'll do the coils with the plugs.

Good point on the durametric pro. I was thinking maybe the Autel 808 or I-Car-Soft POR 2.0 as I've seen a lot of reviews on them including specifically for the 991.2 (2nd gen 991).
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (04-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Taking my car to dealership. What non-mechanical services would/could you ask for?