Normal Vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 PM
KRRM911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Normal Vibrations?

Hello guys,

I really can’t say enough to thank those who are sharing their knowledge and always there to help the members of this great forum. Nonetheless, I’ve recently purchased the car that I’ve been looking after for more than 2 years!! C2S 2013 with Chrono, PDCC and PSE (Stuck in Open Position)

I did get a PPI on the in a reputable garage in my area and everything turned fine with the car. Nonetheless, after having the car for over a week now, I just yesterday noticed a slight vibration in the car when it’s at idle or even when accelerating. However, the rate of vibration is steady and do not increase while accelerating nor decrease.

I’m wondering if this just happened when first I noticed it or it’s there since the first day I bought the car but my excitement prevented me from noticing it.

As I said, the vibration rate is low, NO rattle inside the car, passenger seat doesn’t vibrate noticeably, Steering wheel doesn’t vibrate but I can feel it from beneath in my legs and it’s annoying.

Is it normal??? Is it because of the sound of the exhaust? When the car is running, I touched the exhaust tips and it does vibrate at the same rate that I’m noticing but it’s way less felt in the cabin I’ve also placed a steel rod to check the vibration of different parts beneath the engine, Oil pan, muffler but no abnormal vibration were noticed, the MOST vibrations
is at the tips of the exhausts.

Unfortunately I’m not experienced with sports cars and this is my first, my previous car was a German luxury car and no such vibrations were there nor loud exhausts . However, as I recall, when the engine mounts went bad, I felt vibrations but at much higher rate and it was being transmitted to the steering wheel.

I’ve shot a video that might help to illustrate the vibration rate and its affect on bottle of water and how it changes when I rev the car.

I hope it’s not caused by the engine mounts since the car is equipped with a dynamic ones which cost $$$$.

FYI, Spark plugs were recently changed.

Last edited by KRRM911; 04-18-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

I think it's normal. These cars are not that smooth especially on start up. Give it a good flogging on the highway and it will smooth out a bit.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:14 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

I don't know what gas you use but Shell 93 smoothed out the idle on my'19 C4S significantly.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (04-18-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Nah, every 911 I've been in has a little bit of a wag at idle. Just a harmonic thing with a flat six, if I had to guess.

These aren't packard straight 8s you can balance a coin on. The 911's always been a bit of a raw car. Loud, smelly, and finnicky.

Quick Reply: Normal Vibrations?