991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says it is impossible to change geographic area of nav system

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022 | 09:47 AM
rainer
Instructor

we're still looking at PCM4, not PCM3.1 (which is a totally different system).

Dealers won't help converting a PCM4, that's at least what I've seen, but those can easily be patched with a new firmware which skips checks like e.g. region.
It also can enable Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and some more PCM4 features.

All for FREE, using some slick scripts and only an SD card (no PC required), can be found under mibsolution.one website.
Also, required maps can be downloaded from VW or Skoda websites for free, I was able to make a PCM work with nav which came w/o nav from the factory.

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Sorry to hear this. My 991.1 (2014-PCM 3.1) has both US and Euro maps loaded since I lived in both regions with my car. Very simple. Dealer loaded the Euro maps when I got over there and activated them with the license code I paid for. (Note, dealer pays for the maps, you pay for the activation code). Simple keystroke in the PCM 3.1 to switch regions. When I got back to the USA, I selected North America and in about 10 seconds I was good to go.

Call Suncoast Porsche parts and speak to Aldo. He may be able to help you.

Last edited by rainer; 02-22-2022 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lluisfr (03-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2023 | 08:53 PM
Moffie
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rainer
Well,

I don't think maps are all pre-loaded, but I'm rather confident that the issue can be fixed.

I managed to enable Nav including Europe maps in a car that came w/o nav function (plain PCM, no nav ordered) and was imported from the US (first to Italy, later to Germany). The US-Italy conversion (coding) was already done for the car, coding to Germany we had to use Piwis.
However, not an issue for any PCM function anyway.

Patching it, plus loading the suitable database for EURO maps solved it all. The poor guy also was told earlier by the dealer that nav could not be enabled, nor CarPlay.
Well, he now has it all...

Here's how I think we can get the conversion to work:

1. Patch the PCM4 with a modified FW (ifs-root-part2 patch, available for the various FW versions). This has become extremely easy, including the backup, using M.I.B. tool. The tool works purely from SD card now, no network access to PCM required anymore since a couple of weeks.. :-)
  • This patch basically prevents the FW to check FECs for certificates, hence validity.
  • One can insert additional FECs now..

2. Add the suitable Region FEC to the FEC container and insert it into PCM4 with MIB toolkit. Thus, as addition to the patch above one single file must be injected.
  • The tool has had some recent changes which should easily support FEC additions.
  • I assume you'll need the Asia/Pac map FEC, which would read 063900FF (900= AsiaPac, FF = lifetime (ca. 2075)).
    • Else replace "900" for region as follows:
      • Region 000 = Europe, 100 = USA and Canada (NAR - North America Region), 400 = Middle East (AGCC - Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE), 401 = AGCC + Turkey, 402 = AGCC + Israel, 500 = South Africa, 600 = Australia and New Zealand, 700 = India, 800 = Argentina, Brazil and Mexico, 801 = Chile, 900 = Asia / Pacific, D00 = Rest Of the World (ROW - Rest Of the World)
  • This opens up the PCM to accept maps from other regions than the one it originates from
  • This can also enable stuff like AA, CarPlay (if not enabled yet), log book using other FECs on top
  • (It used to change the "Exception List" previously, but now uses FEC. I used EL until now, will convert to FEC some day.)
3. load Region Map.
  • Most maps can be found free in Volkswagen and Skoda web spaces for download. Usually as 32 GB zip file. I easily found a 2021 Europe map. You may have to do a little research for AUS map. It can be obtained on SD card at the dealer in worst case
  • Unzip map to either a USB or SD card, load it into the PCM
  • A plain, empty PCM w/o any map database accepted to load the map db update from USB
  • A PCM w/ Euro map database also accepted the new map
4. Coding (possibly required)
We had to code the previously plain PCM to accept nav and the suitable nav db. the MIB tool provides coding by directly altering binary values in the PCM for that, they might be EURO as default however.
Not sure we would need it at all in the current case, but possibly. An alternative would have been to code that with Piwis.

Piwis coding would code the following 2 values - obviously in our case here to another region than EU (I don't recall all options, but may look them up and Piwis offers pull-down options anyway).
I believe it required Developer Mode in Piwis, which is one reason dealers cannot easily convert.
  • SDS_Region_Flag = „REGION_EU“
  • Kodierwert: byte_3_Country_Navigation = “EU”
Hi Rainer

You seem to be very well versed on the Porsche PCM systems and I have not got a clue ! I have just imported my UK 2014 991.1 Turbo S into Australia. I would like to change the UK map to an Australian map. How do I go about this ? Seems from other threads my PCM is a version 3.1 ?
Old 02-01-2023 | 02:30 AM
rainer
Instructor

Pls see thread above: we‘re talking about PCM4. No clue whatsoever regarding PCM3.1, this is a totally different system.
Old 09-24-2023 | 07:26 AM
Kiwi2turbo
AutoX

Default Hi, did you get this sorted?

Originally Posted by Moffie
Hi Rainer

You seem to be very well versed on the Porsche PCM systems and I have not got a clue ! I have just imported my UK 2014 991.1 Turbo S into Australia. I would like to change the UK map to an Australian map. How do I go about this ? Seems from other threads my PCM is a version 3.1 ?

Hi, I imported a 991.1 Turbo S convertible from the UK to New Zealand. Did you get the Sat Nav sorted? I would like to get my one on NZ maps. Cheers
Old 09-25-2023 | 06:07 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

This is an interesting thread - another case of OEM electronics being "fixed" via non-OEM solutions that are far better.
Old 09-26-2023 | 08:32 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

If it seems like it is too technical to do yourself, try asking Sima Servis who is on this forum. He may be able to assist.
Old 11-19-2023 | 02:54 AM
WEE911
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kiwi2turbo
Hi, I imported a 991.1 Turbo S convertible from the UK to New Zealand. Did you get the Sat Nav sorted? I would like to get my one on NZ maps. Cheers
Hi I had my Turbo S 991.2 Cabriolet Maps changed from GB to NZ at Euro Surgeons however the nice friendly people at Porsche wiped them when the vehicle was serviced

Old 11-19-2023 | 03:13 AM
rainer
Instructor

they likely did a firmware update and deleted the patched firmware which was installed before.

just go to mibsolution.one and get yourself the toolkit to re-install the patch. There‘s patches available for all common FW versions. Also, there‘s a link to github where the latest MIB toolkits can be found.

if they did a map change to EU (including GB) as well, you‘ll have to update to a map which includes NZ back again. You can check which maps are currently installed in the system menu. Same for firmware. All‘s available freely on the net. I just did an update to 2024 maps yesterday.

can you post a screenshot which shows map database and firmware version so we can see what the current status is?

Originally Posted by WEE911
Hi I had my Turbo S 991.2 Cabriolet Maps changed from GB to NZ at Euro Surgeons however the nice friendly people at Porsche wiped them when the vehicle was serviced

Last edited by rainer; 11-19-2023 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2023 | 03:37 AM
WEE911
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rainer
they likely did a firmware update and deleted the patched firmware which was installed before.

just go to mibsolution.one and get yourself the toolkit to re-install the patch. There‘s patches available for all common FW versions. Also, there‘s a link to github where the latest MIB toolkits can be found.

if they did a map change to EU (including GB) as well, you‘ll have to update to a map which includes NZ back again. You can check which maps are currently installed in the system menu. Same for firmware. All‘s available freely on the net. I just did an update to 2024 maps yesterday.

can you post a screenshot which shows map database and firmware version so we can see what the current status is?

Thank you
Martin
Old 11-19-2023 | 04:01 AM
rainer
Instructor

You have the Europe maps again as assumed, suitable to the keys of the unpatched stock firmware.

So your NAV system should be working, but with Europe maps. You’re back to stock, then. Very old maps btw., since beginning of October the 2024 map is available.

1. Download the patch required from mibsolution.one. You can just unzip all patches to an SD card
2. Download the MIB toolkit from github and patch your firmware. Link to github toolkit is on mibsolution.one. Current version of toolkit is 3.6.0 I believe.

3. you need to find and download the maps suitable for your region. Might be APAC, not completely sure, but those maps for MIB2 systems are all over the net and are the same for all VW/Audi/ Skoda MIB2/MHI2 units, so fairly easy to find if you look around a little. Probably not yet a 2024 version like for Europe, but a 2023 version.
mibsolution.one has the latest Europe map, don‘t think I saw an APAC map.

the Fw patch enables the possibility to use maps from other regions (your PCM will still be on Europe firmware, but can then work with other maps as well).

Did that conversion for a friend‘s US model brought to Europe.

After patching, make sure you clear the SWDL error stored in the PCM with the menu item in the toolkit. Else a permanent software error remains and asks for Piwis final step of a firmware upgrade. This might habe been the reason the dealer put your system back to an old factory firmware version (as he stepped across the error code and a non-consistent map vs. firmware combination). If this step is done and error vanishes, this should not happen again at next service. I had no issues so far.

Last edited by rainer; 11-19-2023 at 04:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WEE911 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-19-2023 | 04:19 AM
Kiwi2turbo
AutoX

Smile Cheers for the replt

Originally Posted by WEE911
Hi, thanks for the advice on the Sat Nav. I’ll check them out. Well, I think your the third 991 Turbo S convertible I’m aware of in NZ. I think there was only about 5 in total, when I was registering my car. Cheers

Quick Reply: Dealer says it is impossible to change geographic area of nav system