991.2 Ohlins or Bilstein Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:33 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 152 Likes on 77 Posts

Just want to chime in here with some of my thoughts on suspension upgrades for the 991. As some of you know we make a supercharger for the 991 base/S/GTS/GT3/RS, a kit we developed on our shop 991 C2S, which we track extensively.

I have tried various spring rates with the stock PASM shocks, everything from 200-400 up front, and 500-800 in rear. Our shop car has 75k on the stock shocks. We have found the stock shocks to be very durable and versatile in terms of the spring rates they accommodate.

For MOST folks purchasing new PASM compatible shocks is simply an unnecessary expense. Thats why we make a coilover conversion kit with fully articulating top camber plates (the only coilover conversion that has this feature).

Currently we are also working with Penske Racing Shocks on a more affordable 2 way adjustable coilover (non-PASM).

Rafi

Online Store: www.RR-Racing.com
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-21-2022, 12:46 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Just want to chime in here with some of my thoughts on suspension upgrades for the 991. As some of you know we make a supercharger for the 991 base/S/GTS/GT3/RS, a kit we developed on our shop 991 C2S, which we track extensively.

I have tried various spring rates with the stock PASM shocks, everything from 200-400 up front, and 500-800 in rear. Our shop car has 75k on the stock shocks. We have found the stock shocks to be very durable and versatile in terms of the spring rates they accommodate.

For MOST folks purchasing new PASM compatible shocks is simply an unnecessary expense. Thats why we make a coilover conversion kit with fully articulating top camber plates (the only coilover conversion that has this feature).

Currently we are also working with Penske Racing Shocks on a more affordable 2 way adjustable coilover (non-PASM).

Rafi

This is interesting. Any idea on cost?
EDIT: Misunderstood the picture. That is your current kit (so OEM shocks).

Last edited by mic_crispy; 09-21-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:44 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,212 Likes on 609 Posts

Rafi
Are those camber plates adjustable, and if so, approximately how much additional camber do you get compared to stock?
Old 09-21-2022, 05:03 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
This is interesting. Any idea on cost?
EDIT: Misunderstood the picture. That is your current kit (so OEM shocks).
More details and cost here for the complete conversion kit INCLUDING the upper mounts, please message us, we have special discount code for Rennlist members:
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...991scnvk01.htm

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Are those camber plates adjustable, and if so, approximately how much additional camber do you get compared to stock?
Our upper mounts allow an additional -1.5deg camber.

And one more thing that I forgot to mention. We DO NOT USE thick aluminum upper camber plate mounts. There are 2 reasons for this:

(1) We use 1/8" thick stainless steel vs. 1/4" to 3/8" aluminum most others use. This is to maximize suspension travel of the stock PASM shocks and allow us to use an articulating upper perch without losing suspension travel.

(2) The relatively thin but ductile stainless mount is designed to bend in case of a massive impact such as a high speed curb at the track or a pothole. When it bends it is easy and inexpensive to replace. By bending rather than transferring all the load to the cast aluminum strut tower, we reduce impact load to the relatively brittle cast aluminum strut tower. This is an important consideration given the number of issues with GT3's and GT4's using solid upper mounts. It makes much more sense to make the camber plate sacrificial than the strut tower! We have extensively tested these plates at Watkins Glen with all-out assaults on the bus stop curbs without issue.

-Rafi

Last edited by RRRacing; 09-21-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:13 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

More details and cost here for the complete conversion kit INCLUDING the upper mounts, please message us, we have special discount code for Rennlist members:
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...991scnvk01.htm

Our upper mounts allow an additional -1.5deg camber.

And one more thing that I forgot to mention. We DO NOT USE thick aluminum upper camber plate mounts. There are 2 reasons for this:

(1) We use 1/8" thick stainless steel vs. 1/4" to 3/8" aluminum most others use. This is to maximize suspension travel of the stock PASM shocks and allow us to use an articulating upper perch without losing suspension travel.

(2) The relatively thin but ductile stainless mount is designed to bend in case of a massive impact such as a high speed curb at the track or a pothole. When it bends it is easy and inexpensive to replace. By bending rather than transferring all the load to the cast aluminum strut tower, we reduce impact load to the relatively brittle cast aluminum. This is an important consideration given the number of issues with GT3's and GT4's using solid upper mounts. It makes much more sense to make the camber plate sacrificial than the strut tower! We have extensively tested these plates at Watkins Glen with all-out assaults on the bus stop curbs without issue.

-Rafi
I was referring to the upcoming Penske system.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:28 PM
RRRacing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
I was referring to the upcoming Penske system.

Sorry! The upcoming Penske system will be around $5500 COMPLETE.... by complete I mean with springs and upper mounts ready to install (other systems usually come without upper mounts). For reference, Penske currently makes a pro race setup for around $9-$12k. Our setup will have very similar shocks in rear, but in order to reduce cost we are using a non-inverted strut up front.

It will utilize Penske 7500DA shocks in rear, which are double adjustable with independent compression and rebound. Up front the strut will also be double adjustable.

Rafi
Old 09-21-2022, 05:51 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Sorry! The upcoming Penske system will be around $5500 COMPLETE.... by complete I mean with springs and upper mounts ready to install (other systems usually come without upper mounts). For reference, Penske currently makes a pro race setup for around $9-$12k. Our setup will have very similar shocks in rear, but in order to reduce cost we are using a non-inverted strut up front.

It will utilize Penske 7500DA shocks in rear, which are double adjustable with independent compression and rebound. Up front the strut will also be double adjustable.

Rafi
Not too bad. With my B16's i think i spent 3200 + 1000 or so for the Elephant uppers.
With a cost delta of about 1k between both setups, i would have gone with the Penske kit for sure, although id have to factor in a PASM delete module.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 09-21-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:10 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I've read somewhere that the b16s aren't as good in adjustments as OEM because they don't have rebound capabilities? digitally anyway...maybe dsc tom can chime in
Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 PM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Rafi

Any idea on timing for your non-PASM two-way coilover solution? Love my 991.1 C2, but know a suspension upgrade will be needed sometime

Old 08-23-2023, 10:30 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Rafi

Any updates ?
Your website does not offer suspension options for 911s past 2016.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:33 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 667 Posts

Rafi
So in the Queens English, 400 Front and 800 rear is 70/140.

What most guys with dual duty that want to do well at the track will need is 100/150, which is roughly 570fr/850rear in your speak. How do you think stock shocks or even B16's will go with that spring rate?

I run 685fr / 970rear on my Tractive setup. For reference.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
The Ox (08-24-2023), thesaintusa (08-24-2023)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Ohlins or Bilstein Coilovers?