Sponsored by:

Out of State Buying Advice for Cosmetic Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 11:43 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Out of State Buying Advice for Cosmetic Issue

Greetings all - I'm looking to move from my 2015 Boxster GTS to a 991.1 and after six months of searching, I've found my unicorn. Unfortunately, she comes with a scuff that's on the side of the bumper, just in front of the driver's door. Looks like someone turned a little too wide in a parking lot and scuffed it on a curb (which, on a somewhat related note, a valet did to my Boxster a couple of years ago).

Since I won't be able to look at the car in person, thoughts on asking for it to be repaired by them so when it rolls off the shipping truck I can inspect it versus asking for $X dollars off and taking care of it myself? I had a picture of the scuff at some point but can't find it anymore and since the dealer is holding the car for me (they've been the most honest car dealer I've ever had the pleasure of working with thus far), they've taken the car off their site. I'll try to get an up close pic and add to this thread later...
Old 04-05-2021, 11:55 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Either would work imo. Personally I would want to see how bad it is before it’s covered up. Can you FaceTime the dealer and have them show you?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:30 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 421 Posts

Where is the car?

Someone on here that's close could look at it for you as well.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:39 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Car is currently at a Porsche dealer having some extended warranty work done, so it isn't at the actual selling dealer, which is in Santa Barbara. Once it gets back I'll get some more detailed pictures/video, just trying to figure out in advance of that if there's a preferred method amongst the collective brain trust here! A PPI is going to be done at Schneider Autohaus before I's get dotted and T's get crossed.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:25 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Fly to see it and decide for yourself after getting eyes on it. I don't think you will be able to not accept it if it's shipped to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carl Over:
Rich_Jenkins (04-07-2021), SConn (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:13 PM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Where is the car?

Someone on here that's close could look at it for you as well.
^This.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a C4S out-of-state and FaceTime "tour" of the vehicle worked great! Although using technology, I was able to get eyes on the vehicle from bumper to bumper. Video is definitely superior to pics. When it arrived, I received exactly what I paid for.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:56 PM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AvgPorschefile
I bought a C4S out-of-state and FaceTime "tour" of the vehicle worked great! Although using technology, I was able to get eyes on the vehicle from bumper to bumper. Video is definitely superior to pics. When it arrived, I received exactly what I paid for.
I have done the same in the past on 2 vehicles. (disclaimer: I am more **** than most) Often times the video/photos do not pick everything up...I had to sell the first one immediately (it was inspected by a master judge) due to issues that would have stopped me from the purchase had I personally looked at the car. The second not long after purchasing. I never trust someone else's opinion because everyone's "ok", "mint", "excellent" is totally different. I ALWAYS take the time and spend the money to look at the car myself since those issues...but that's just me and my experiences because I hate surprises.
The following users liked this post:
SConn (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 04:40 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

As someone who sold a 991 in the last 6 days, I can tell you this market is red hot and any car you are looking at, at least 10 others are looking as well. If this car is a true unicorn, I would do a FaceTime tour and get as close as you can and move on. There's definitely other folks who are local and "cash in hand" who are also looking at the car and if it's more work for the seller to do the deal with you, they'll just sell it to someone else and make it easy on themselves.

It doesn't mean that you should accept anything outside of your standards, but just remember the more contingencies you put on a sale, the more likely someone else is to get the car from under you. It's the same reason real estate transactions go to cash sellers with lower offers all the time, people don't want a hassle if they don't have to.
Rich_Jenkins (04-07-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 PM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's wrong with the Boxster? I had a 2014 Boxster S that I traded for a 2017 991.2. The 991.2 is a great car, but
I missed the Boxster enough to buy a 2016 GTS and keep the 991.2 as well. Not very clever of me, and another car
must stay outside while two expensive to own cars take live in the garage.

Learning the hard way.l
Old 04-07-2021, 09:31 AM
DOG ON
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by K9PJ/4
What's wrong with the Boxster? I had a 2014 Boxster S that I traded for a 2017 991.2. The 991.2 is a great car, but
I missed the Boxster enough to buy a 2016 GTS and keep the 991.2 as well. Not very clever of me, and another car

Learning the hard way.l
^Actually, yeah... what's wrong with the Boxter? I (and a few guys I know around here) have bee toying with the idea of picking one up. Feel free to post a link if you have it listed anywhere.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
PPI with lots of clear pictures. Negotiate accordingly for the car as is. This way you can get it remedied to your standards and have confidence it was done right. Anything done by the dealer will simply be an attempt to pacify you and they will operate knowing the more they have to spend the more it cuts into their margin with no regard to quality. You’ll hear the phrase “within spec” a lot in these situations.
^^^ This.

I think you need to evaluate the deal based on the best info you have, then move forward.

If you can't physically get to SB to check out the car, then you'll have to rely on other's opinions, photos, videos, whatever. But as @darylbowden said, there are other folks lined up to see this car.
darylbowden (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K9PJ/4
I'm 6'5" and the Boxster is fine for short trips, but anything that approaches two hours or more and I start to get uncomfortable, as a little more seat travel would go a long way.

And to update this thread with a very sad ending, the car was on consignment and the seller changed their mind, so decided to not sell it. Not 100% sure I believe the sales guy, but since nothing was in writing there's not much I can do.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:05 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DOG ON
^Actually, yeah... what's wrong with the Boxter? I (and a few guys I know around here) have bee toying with the idea of picking one up. Feel free to post a link if you have it listed anywhere.
Nothing other than my height wrong with the Boxster. It's seen about a dozen track events, and shows some evidence of that, so it's lived a good life doing what it was engineered to do, and given me (and my wife, who was my student until recently passing her solo check ride!) hundreds of miles of smiles! I'm not planning on selling it until I find a Targa to replace it, unless I got an offer I couldn't refuse!

As you can see from my avatar, I recently acquired a Cayman S as a dedicated track car for us, so just looking to move from the Boxster into something more comfortable for road trips.

Last edited by PTSFX; 04-07-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Out of State Buying Advice for Cosmetic Issue