Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 05:08 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket

https://werks911.com/products/body-c...se-plate-mount

Looking at that for a European front license plate bracket mount.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have other suggestions for a quick mounting of a license plate bracket?

Here's the problem: My 991 C2S arrives in Germany mid-April and it does not have a mount for a front license plate even though they are required and mandatory in Germany. I am traveling 8 hours to the port to pick it up and I will definitely be out of my element when I pick up from Customs so I need to have a VERY quick solution to attaching something like a tow-hook mount or something similar that can quickly be affixed to the front. I can try to leave the temporary plates in the windshield for the time being, but I'd rather not get pulled over by Polizei for something as inconsequential as that because they take their rules very seriously.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Not sure if this would work for Euro plates if they are the long rectangle version? (I'm in US so have no idea.)

I just installed this on my wife's Macan. It looks good -- much better than drilling into the bumper. The plate can be angled left to right to your preference (i.e. forward facing or parallel to the bumper). However, that ball is meant to be sandwiched between the two half-round brackets and I can't get it properly seated, so there is a small amount of wobble that I can't get rid of. It's securely attached and doesn't move outside of the 'wobble range', but I'm worried that it could get out of position over time and rub the paint if I don't keep checking it. I can take pictures later today.

You might double check the parking sensors in relation to the tow hook on a C2S. If I recall correctly, this might be an issue with a bracket that mounts the top of the plate at the same level as the tow hook. For that reason, I purchased this for my Carrera T: https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...t=924380233755. If you get the extender version, the plate is lowered and out of the way of the parking sensors.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Try this place: https://www.cravenspeed.com/

And talk to Danielle since she is a great person to help you there: support@cravenspeed.com
Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I’ll see about the options... know I need a solution relatively soon for end of April.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:24 PM
Praecox
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

My Euro plate goes into a plastic frame that I bent slightly to fit the front bumper curve... also able to easily bend the license plate to fit the curve... then placed Velcro on back of plate frame... used painters tape to help align the frame... and because the bumper dips inward a bit, used small rubber adhesive bumpers (the kind you might use behind a picture frame to avoid scratching the wall) half way up the back of the frame to get the plate to hang straight... lastly, take adhesive cover off the back of the Velcro and just stick it on... this lasted for years on my 997S... when I traded it in I just pulled the Velcro apart and the plate came off in seconds... good luck...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:46 PM
bchamber1
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Second for cravenspeed. I’ve used one from rennline and that is good too but aluminum seemed too soft as mine stripped after removing/installing a few times.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:23 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I've used tow hook mounts before and they are ok. Great temp solution at least, but I haven't found them to be incredibly stable. They seem to go off level after rattling around for awhile. I also don't know if they will work for the long Euro plate. I'm just not a fan of front plates in general. They are required in the state I live in but I have never been pulled over for it. I keep the plate in my glove compartment. All that said, I'm not sure how seriously the Germans take the front license plate law... or what the penalty is.
Whatever you do... PLEASE PLEASE don't drill into the bumper. I have actually seen this more than once and it kills me!!!
Old 03-27-2021, 04:25 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

If tow hook mounts or only temp solutions and I shouldn’t drill holes in the bumper then I’m not sure how to solve this issue immediately. I can drive with my plate in my windshield first day I get it so I’ll be fine there, but I need to figure it out for the inspection and Germans definitely do care if it’s done right...

I have some thinking to do.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:03 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Pics of the Rennline version on wife’s Macan

Hardware gets a little close to the paint, but the bracket is adjustable to allow for more distance from the bumper if wanted.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:12 AM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought Praecox had a pretty good solution... and Jeahbladejeah's Rennline mount definitely looks beefier than the ones I've used. It may work great!
Old 04-23-2021, 12:18 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Ended up ordering the Rennline euro plate mount. Hopefully it won't be an issue!
The following users liked this post:
AvgPorschefile (04-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Bracket