Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 11:36 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

i just tried this today in auto. Didn’t work. I’ll update tomorrow a manual mode test.

Originally Posted by Wrtflyr
I have a 2017 CS and it works in auto mode! I use it at every long stop light and in heavy traffic that comes to a stop!
Old 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,375 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Still can't get it to work in auto or manual. Does the auto stop have to be on?
Do you have Sport Chrono Package?
Old 03-26-2021, 09:45 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Do you have Sport Chrono Package?

Yes I do.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:50 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,375 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Yes I do.
This is a guess ....but one explanation could be that your vehicle came from the factory with the two thumb button steering wheel. It was subsequently changed to the paddle steering wheel which is a common plug and play upgrade.. In that situation, you need to have the dealer use PIWIS to enable the dbl paddle pull= neutral feature. You might also check with a Durametric Pro which may allow you to code/program it. I am uncertain.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,148 Likes on 687 Posts

Can't putting car in neutral coasting to a stop or at a stop be problematic? If you need to suddenly and unexpectedly accelerate to avoid something like a car coming at you out of control or something of that nature - being in panic mode - stepping on it and getting nothing could mean the difference between avoiding something or not.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:57 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Can't putting car in neutral coasting to a stop or at a stop be problematic? If you need to suddenly and unexpectedly accelerate to avoid something like a car coming at you out of control or something of that nature - being in panic mode - stepping on it and getting nothing could mean the difference between avoiding something or not.
you would be putting it in neutral when stopping at a light or stop sign. Not for everybody or every time.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:59 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

This is a guess ....but one explanation could be that your vehicle came from the factory with the two thumb button steering wheel. It was subsequently changed to the paddle steering wheel which is a common plug and play upgrade.. In that situation, you need to have the dealer use PIWIS to enable the dbl paddle pull= neutral feature. You might also check with a Durametric Pro which may allow you to code/program it. I am uncertain.
If you look at previous posts I have it working now in manual and auto. I was not pulling the paddles quickly enough. They need to be pulled together quickly as others have said
Old 03-26-2021, 11:18 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I don't see how it is anymore problematic than putting a manual transmission in neutral. If you need to go just pull either paddle.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:30 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I don't see how it is anymore problematic than putting a manual transmission in neutral. If you need to go just pull either paddle.
Yes, same issue with manual. In a panic situation, you want to just go step on it and get out as fast as possible to avoid a incident. Stepping on it and getting nothing or having to think "I gotta put it in gear" within milliseconds can make a difference. I think muscle memory makes a difference too, but more so with a manual as you are used to putting it in gear at every stop. But with PDK, more than half the time you are probably not putting it in neutral at a stop, and in a panic situation trying to remember if this is the time you are in neutral could mean avoiding or not avoiding.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Yep, just another reason that this isn't something that's intended for daily, normal use. The car won't go into gear in this condition, either! I've revved at a group drive leader ahead of me at a stop sign, tried to put it back into gear.. and it wouldn't comply. Ended up having to shift it into park and back to drive for it to behave again.

Technically, in my state at least, having it in neutral on a public road is illegal as you are not in direct control of the vehicle. Barely enforceable, but the law came up when I got backed into in a parking lot, as if they were trying to establish blame.

I've been thinking about this thread over last day or two trying to come up with a legitimate, legal, and useful reason for using this feature. The only thing I've come up with so far is the shifter on the console broke, the car is in drive, and you need to put it in neutral to push it/pull it onto a trailer or something. Even so, I bet there's a pin or something like on BMW transmissions you can pull from under the car to get into neutral/out of park -- hell, I think there's a trim removal tool in the frunk toolkit to get at the guts of the shifter assembly for this very purpose.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:16 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts
Default No it does not

I saw the following posts but responded here. The answer is no, it is not problematic at all. In fact, in normal mode (Sport Chrono), when at speed (say 50 mph) and you take your foot off the accelerator, the PDK shifts out of gear to neutral. Of course, when you nearly stop, all else being ok, the engine will actually shut down.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Seems not to work on the multifunctional steering wheel in a 991.1. No neutral while driving.
Can anybody confirm that this is not working with this wheel?

Old 03-26-2021, 03:05 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Yep, just another reason that this isn't something that's intended for daily, normal use. The car won't go into gear in this condition, either! I've revved at a group drive leader ahead of me at a stop sign, tried to put it back into gear.. and it wouldn't comply. Ended up having to shift it into park and back to drive for it to behave.
If you double paddle to neutral when stopped, you have to have foot on brake for it to re-engage a gear. Safety reasons.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:05 PM
spiderspider
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

This must explain why it doesn't work for me. I had just swapped the thumb shift wheel for the paddle shift wheel
Old 03-26-2021, 04:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Quick Reply: Paddle neutral