Sponsored by:

Oil measurement/consumption 2015 911 2S

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:45 AM
911red
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil measurement/consumption 2015 911 2S

Hi all! Brand new to rennlist forum here and did do some searches about this topic however could not find anything specifically to my situation. I purchased a 2015 911 carrera S with 48k miles. Previous two owners had taken care of the car and pretty much all scheduled maintenance was done on time. When I purchased the car, the oil had just been changed about 4 month before. However it was missing about two clicks from the top (full) .. today I noticed after driving about 350 miles it's down another click but when I got home it went back up to 2 clicks again.maybe I am over thinking it and should just add about a quart until next oil change. I have no idea how it was driven before I bought it and since the last oil change was done. There aren't any oil leaks or at least that is visible or on the floor.

Another question is in regards to the carbon soot build up that is on the flange of between the exhaust tip and the pipe. I do have a after market soul exhaust system. Everytime I start the car to warm up there seems to be condensation or excessive moisture dripping where the flange is. I have no idea why this is happening. If you look at the picture closely. I've circle where water is dripping everytime I start the car to warm it up. The drips are quite dark in coloration I am thinking it's moisture mixed with carbon build up from the exhaust system however have no idea why is water coming down from that location of the exhaust. If it was cold usually it blows up from the end of the exhaust tips? I also noticed after a drive I smell burning of sorts from behind the car. Might be the after market exhaust and the carbon.

Any insights on the above is appreciated.

When warming up. Water (blackish) drips from the flange. As pictured, black soot is built up around the flange as well. This is on both sides.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:08 AM
911red
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911red
Hi all! Brand new to rennlist forum here and did do some searches about this topic however could not find anything specifically to my situation. I purchased a 2015 911 carrera S with 48k miles. Previous two owners had taken care of the car and pretty much all scheduled maintenance was done on time. When I purchased the car, the oil had just been changed about 4 month before. However it was missing about two clicks from the top (full) .. today I noticed after driving about 350 miles it's down another click but when I got home it went back up to 2 clicks again.maybe I am over thinking it and should just add about a quart until next oil change. I have no idea how it was driven before I bought it and since the last oil change was done. There aren't any oil leaks or at least that is visible or on the floor.

Another question is in regards to the carbon soot build up that is on the flange of between the exhaust tip and the pipe. I do have a after market soul exhaust system. Everytime I start the car to warm up there seems to be condensation or excessive moisture dripping where the flange is. I have no idea why this is happening. If you look at the picture closely. I've circle where water is dripping everytime I start the car to warm it up. The drips are quite dark in coloration I am thinking it's moisture mixed with carbon build up from the exhaust system however have no idea why is water coming down from that location of the exhaust. If it was cold usually it blows up from the end of the exhaust tips? I also noticed after a drive I smell burning of sorts from behind the car. Might be the after market exhaust and the carbon.

Any insights on the above is appreciated.

When warming up. Water (blackish) drips from the flange. As pictured, black soot is built up around the flange as well. This is on both sides.

Opps I posted this in the wrong section. Can a admin move this post to 991? Thanks so much.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I’m the previous owner...PM me.
The following users liked this post:
911red (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:20 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,118 Likes on 666 Posts

Don’t add a quart-you will be very overfilled. Add 2-4 Oz at a time-but honestly if it’s between the two marks you are fine.
Rich_Jenkins (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:30 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 88 Posts

All of that is normal, “full” oil is 2 down from the top, the smell you have is because the mufflers are behind the rear tires, I swear my car has different seasonal smells, more burning oil ish after fall rains from oil and water splashing up, and pretty intense after a wet track day for a day or two. Oil consumption of half a liter or so per year isn’t uncommon, I’d see more after hard track days, so keep an eye on it. There are good threads on this, so search here and you’ll learn a ton.
911red (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:46 AM
911red
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsteding
All of that is normal, “full” oil is 2 down from the top, the smell you have is because the mufflers are behind the rear tires, I swear my car has different seasonal smells, more burning oil ish after fall rains from oil and water splashing up, and pretty intense after a wet track day for a day or two. Oil consumption of half a liter or so per year isn’t uncommon, I’d see more after hard track days, so keep an eye on it. There are good threads on this, so search here and you’ll learn a ton.

Good to know. Thank you so much. I'll keep on the look out.
dsteding (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Each bar is about 400ml. Never add more than 200ml at a time when adjusting the oil level to reduce the risk of overfilling. Do this between drive cycles.
Rich_Jenkins (03-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Oil measurement/consumption 2015 911 2S