Sponsored by:

Deactivate Porsche Entry and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021 | 03:44 PM
Cobalthamster
3rd Gear

Default Deactivate Porsche Entry and Drive

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether it possible to permanently deactivate Porsche Entry and Drive feature on a 991.1?

I live in London, and personally know three people who have had their high value cars stolen off their driveways through RF amplifiers / signal cloning - lots of different makes (mercedes, tesla, and BMW) all using what I assume to be a similar technology in the Porsche. One of them was my neighbour!

I've found an ideal spec 991 to replace my 997, but I'm concerned as the 991 I have found has Porsche Entry and Drive and therefore would be at higher risk of being stolen very easily.

Is it possible for the Porsche Entry and Drive feature to be deactivated permanently, so that the key acts like a 'normal' key? I know this feature can be deactivated temporarily by pressing a sequence of buttons on the key, but I understand the feature is reset the next time the car is unlocked. I'm not keen on the hassle of using Faraday pouches or wrapping myself or the car in foil

Has anyone deactivated it permanently, and could you share how you achieved this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Cobalthamster; 03-09-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2021 | 04:11 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

the dealer should be able to code it out with their PIWIS II or III, but you'll probably get some interesting questions from them and a bill for an hour of shop time. not sure what that means for the difference in hardware in the car, though. using the key in the key slot instead of the dummy key blank should work just the same.

the self-inflicted inconvenience to prepare for what is ultimately a statistically improbable situation is kind of funny to me, if I'm honest. between removing a single attack vector for stealing my car and enjoying entry+drive, I'd much rather enjoy the entry+drive and deal with the police and insurance mess in the extraordinarily unlikely scenario in which someone would successfully steal my car.

Last edited by asellus; 03-09-2021 at 04:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carrera991 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 04:39 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

You just need to put your key in a faraday cage when you're at home. I think they even make a faraday pouch to put the key in, so you can carry it with you.

Edit: found in amazon,
Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by drdantheman1:
CT_Peter (03-10-2021), myrr (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 04:53 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Yes, dealer can code it off. A friend on another forum had the dealer turn off the entry & drive feature on his Macan.
The following users liked this post:
m5biemer (03-11-2021)
Old 03-10-2021 | 05:16 PM
Cobalthamster
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice - good to hear it's possible 👍
Old 03-12-2021 | 06:29 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I don't like the appearance of a permanent key easily visible from the driver's side window. I think this was a stupid design by Porsche. Much better to have a push-button ignition if you're going to have keyless start, rather than tease potential thieves into thinking that you left your key in the car.
Old 03-12-2021 | 08:00 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
I don't like the appearance of a permanent key easily visible from the driver's side window. I think this was a stupid design by Porsche. Much better to have a push-button ignition if you're going to have keyless start, rather than tease potential thieves into thinking that you left your key in the car.
Most people don’t know that the key is on the left. If someone is going to steal your 911 then they are not looking to see if you happened to “leave” you key in the car. Porsche might not go button start in the 911. Ever. I’m not sure I would call it stupid but you are entitled to you passionate opinion. It’s just a key in the end.
Old 03-13-2021 | 12:51 AM
achtung6
Racer

Just put your keys in a metal box. Nothing fancy. I use a box that condoms came in. Works great. I can put the box with the key inside right next to the car and it doesn't work. No need to go through the complexities of deactivating this very handy feature you will miss.

Quick Reply: Deactivate Porsche Entry and Drive