Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will these wheels fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021 | 01:11 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Default Will these wheels fit?

Im in the process of vetting a 2018 C4S and the dealer says they have a set of new Turbo S wheels that they can work into the deal (since i didnt like the wheels on the car currently). They are selling them to me at $5,000, allegedly retailing at $12,000. I attached a picture.

They tell me it will fit the 4S since its wider but im not really confident in the sales guy. They show they are 305s which from what I have been able to see, most Turbos all come with 295s so im not really sure what the deal is. They said they were taken off a new vehicle. Also i'm not sure what year they are from.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-11-2021 | 01:20 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

20x8.5 +51, 20x11 +70? if so, they'll fit perfectly fine
Old 02-11-2021 | 01:25 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
20x8.5 +51, 20x11 +70? if so, they'll fit perfectly fine
Thanks. I have no clue what the offset numbers mean but i guess the tire size is the same as the 4S. Does anyone know what year these wheels are from or if there is some sort of OEM wheel finder website i can check?

Old 02-11-2021 | 03:26 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lawyered
Thanks. I have no clue what the offset numbers mean but i guess the tire size is the same as the 4S. Does anyone know what year these wheels are from or if there is some sort of OEM wheel finder website i can check?
hmmm, looking at that chart you posted tho, it looks like the wheel specs i posted might be too narrow/sunken-in for the widebody (4's/GTS/Turbos). you can simply throw on like 15mm spacers but that kinda defeats getting wheels from a dealer and then having to do additional things to make it "fit better".

The wheel specs i posted however were from a quick search for those turbo ii style wheels. It would help if you got the exact wheel specs of the turbo wheels that the dealership is offering you to do a real comparison of wheel fitment.
Old 02-11-2021 | 03:57 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

hmmm, looking at that chart you posted tho, it looks like the wheel specs i posted might be too narrow/sunken-in for the widebody (4's/GTS/Turbos). you can simply throw on like 15mm spacers but that kinda defeats getting wheels from a dealer and then having to do additional things to make it "fit better".

The wheel specs i posted however were from a quick search for those turbo ii style wheels. It would help if you got the exact wheel specs of the turbo wheels that the dealership is offering you to do a real comparison of wheel fitment.
I have half a dozen pending "to dos" for this sales guy already. It's surprisingly hard to find wheel specs online. After he gets through some ill get some firm specs on the exact wheels. I'm assuming here that OEM Turbo S wheels fit the exact specs from the manual, so all would have the same width and offset. Let me know if that's a bad assumption.

According to the charts i posted the rear wheels have the exact same specs, so i dont think the rears will be a problem. If they fit on the Turbo S it would be the same factory specs as the 4S.

The front however are different and im not sure how much it matters or if there is some wiggle room in there.

4S Front: 8.5J x 20 RO 49
TS Front: 9J. x 20 RO 51

I'm assuming the 8.5/9 is the wheel width. Since they use the exact same tire i doubt this would cause any issues.

I'm guessing the RO number means offset. So only 2mm difference. I cant see how that would matter at all but im far from an expert.
Old 02-11-2021 | 04:26 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

I have half a dozen pending "to dos" for this sales guy already. It's surprisingly hard to find wheel specs online. After he gets through some ill get some firm specs on the exact wheels. I'm assuming here that OEM Turbo S wheels fit the exact specs from the manual, so all would have the same width and offset. Let me know if that's a bad assumption.

According to the charts i posted the rear wheels have the exact same specs, so i dont think the rears will be a problem. If they fit on the Turbo S it would be the same factory specs as the 4S.

The front however are different and im not sure how much it matters or if there is some wiggle room in there.

4S Front: 8.5J x 20 RO 49
TS Front: 9J. x 20 RO 51

I'm assuming the 8.5/9 is the wheel width. Since they use the exact same tire i doubt this would cause any issues.

I'm guessing the RO number means offset. So only 2mm difference. I cant see how that would matter at all but im far from an expert.
correct, in that format the "[X]J" the [X] is the wheel width in inches. 20 is the diameter with the last number being the offset.

So based on those numbers, the TS wheels sit closer to the hub by 2mm compared to the 4S wheels, BUT because the 4S wheel is 0.5" narrower (~12mm total, 6mm each side) the face of the TS is actually about 4mm further out than the 4S wheels. Basically just looking at the wheel faces and distance relative to the front fender lip, the TS wheel will sit as if you put 4mm spacers on the 4S wheel. 4mm is negligible in terms of OE wheel fitment concerns.
Old 02-11-2021 | 04:28 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

correct, in that format the "[X]J" the [X] is the wheel width in inches. 20 is the diameter with the last number being the offset.

So based on those numbers, the TS wheels sit closer to the hub by 2mm compared to the 4S wheels, BUT because the 4S wheel is 0.5" narrower (~12mm total, 6mm each side) the face of the TS is actually about 4mm further out than the 4S wheels. Basically just looking at the wheel faces and distance relative to the front fender lip, the TS wheel will sit as if you put 4mm spacers on the 4S wheel. 4mm is negligible in terms of OE wheel fitment concerns.
Awesome. Thank you for all of that.
Old 02-11-2021 | 05:11 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

1/2" is about 12mm, so wouldnt it stick out net 10mm on each side?
Old 02-11-2021 | 05:21 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Id consider spending a couple grand more to get some forged one piece you like that are built for the car, the Pirelli tires are nothing great and Keeping the OE wheels is always nice for snows or sell em for a couple grand and be out about the same
The following users liked this post:
Stevelev (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021 | 05:43 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

1/2" is about 12mm, so wouldnt it stick out net 10mm on each side?
Nevermind. I get what you are saying. 12MM total width difference, so 6mm on the inside and 6mm on the outside, since the hub is on the inside it moves it 2mm closer in, making the total 4mm.

Im keeping the original wheels also, so ill use those for winter. I am an OEM fan so i dont really want to get something aftermarket.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021 | 07:06 PM
daddiomk2
Intermediate

I have these wheels and love the look. Tough to keep clean but no wheel is going to eliminate some need for elbow grease. I'm having a hard time locating the reference but I believe the turbo wheel upgrade was $1300 each.Suncoast had the wheel/tire combo at one point but is now out of stock but can give you some sense of cost for comparison.

Old 02-11-2021 | 07:28 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

That's why it's hard to really find out what they are worth. I found a set for like $7,000 that were from a 991.1 Turbo and then i think they stopped making them until the 2019 Turbo, and they added the black two-tone to it. At least that is what i have gathered. I did confirm these wheels came off a 2019 Turbo S, tire manufacture date is 2218, so they were made around June 2018. Annoying the Porsche builder is gone for the 991, wish they would have left a legacy link or something.

Im moving forward with it though. From everything I can tell these wheels are made for the car and I cant really ask for a better wheel for that price. Front ends are the same so i think they just throw that extra 1/2" of wheel for stability or something, and i would assume adding more metal to a wheel increases the cost.

Quick Reply: Will these wheels fit?