991.2 Vektor Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:20 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 991.2 Vektor Header Review

Hello all,

After spending a bit of time with my new-to-me 2018 911 Carrera T (manual trans) which I picked up this last November, I have to admit I was a bit dismayed at how quiet it was—especially in a T with less sound deadening. I knew the turbos would make things quieter, but not that quiet. Whether on hard throttle in comfort, sport, or sport+, there just was not that much excitement wrt the sound of the car, which really did seem a departure from Porsche tradition. I honestly wondered, “The car is so quiet, how do others find this acceptable?”

By no means am I a loud exhaust guy. I spent considerable time and money doing a custom exhaust for my BRZ, adding a large (20” Magnaflow) resonator to quiet things down. For the 991.2 cars, I am not even a huge fan of sport mode, as I find the pops and crackles a bit juvenile, and surely synthetic.

Another thing which stood out to me with my T was that there was so much torque, that it barely mattered what gear you were in! In fact I would forget what gear I am in, or not be able to tell during normal driving (the car is my daily)... They all felt the same. Ridiculous! Lol. Coming from my previous car, which is a light weight Subaru BRZ tuned to 300hp, my Carrera T was an upgrade in almost every way, but was actually less exciting to drive. Dare I say it reminded me of the E92 BMW 335i that I sold to get my Subaru. Tuned to 400hp/400 ft lbs with Dinan Stage 1, the E92 was powerful—but large, heavy, isolated, and a bore to drive beyond just straight line antics. How I came to treasure my tossable, little Japanese sports car (which handled like a dream with Ohlins coilovers) with a respectable power to weight ratio.

How could I get a little more sound and magic out of my T?

Plan was for headers and/or high flow cats, with an eventual tune. A primary concern was not letting the car get overly loud. I was not sure which to do first, headers or cats, but the decision was made for me as a set of slightly used Vektor headers popped up on Rennlist.

Well the headers have been on for a few days now. To cut to the chase, I LOVE THEM. Just as importantly, they have made me grow to love my T.

Observations while things are still fresh:

Comfort Mode:
* Sound - not hugely different from stock, just ever so slightly louder (neighbors would never notice a difference on cold start); cruising at maybe around 1900-2100rpm there is a midbass exhaust sound under slight load (but not droning, which would typically be considered a low/sub bass booming throughout the cabin)
* Driving Characteristics - car feels more "willing" (and thus lighter), turbos spool significantly faster (as evidence of this, I found that I had to readjust timing of clutch/throttle--before headers, in order to drive smoothly I had to build in a little delay in letting out clutch after applying throttle, whereas after header I can now time throttle on/clutch out closer together)

Sport Mode:
* Sound - surprisingly to me, louder than Sport+; exhaust note definitely has more "cabin presence" but without being loud, intrusive, or annoying; turbo spooling and whistling more prominent (as others have reported); pops and bags definitely louder, but more fun in an unapologetic way
* Driving Characteristics - a noticeable increase in power on the butt dyno, no discernable turbo lag, feels more free revving

Sport+ Mode:
* Sound - by far, now my absolute favorite mode for the car; quieter than Sport mode and with fewer pops and bangs, there is a fantastic return of the characteristic Porsche howl/growl--not loud, but definitely more exciting, aggressive, and very fun to rev out into the higher RPMs; I would say that now the combination of howl/growl with some pops/bangs and turbo whistles may sound *better* (ie, even more interesting/entertaining) than the nonturbo cars
* Driving Characteristics - free revving, smooth, powerful, fun, faster, no lag, car feels more raw and connected

Overall Impression:

The headers have led to a qualitative (no plan to dyno at this point) change in my experience of the car, by:
(1) restoring a classic mid-range Porsche howl which is intoxicatingly fun as you rev the engine out or come off throttle,
(2) basically eliminating the last remnants of turbo lag, giving the engine--dare I say--more of a naturally aspirated feel (which is quite an accomplishment); and
(3) without doubt, adding more pep in every gear and driving mode.

Thank you, Vektor. 10/10.

At this point I am contemplating adding Vektor high flow cats, then a tune. But still thinking about it, as I really do not want the car to get too loud. As mentioned, that was my biggest concern about the Vektor headers; instead their changes were subtle and refined, yet substantial. So probably, I should just go ahead and place that order...

Thanks all.

Last edited by devtec; 02-14-2021 at 08:47 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by devtec:
F1SML8R (03-03-2021), GT3FZS (04-18-2021), minh (01-29-2021), ngamountains (01-29-2021), tourenwagen (02-03-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:15 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

While you have -just- the headers, suggest posting a video from the inside / outside of the car. To my knowledge, there are no clips out there of just headers as people tend to do cats etc at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
devtec (01-30-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:20 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Great review. Makes me want to pull the trigger.
devtec (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 12:50 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 194 Posts

This is exactly what I need to hear. Thank you! I am days into owning a Carrera T and while I love it, the sound sucks. Granted, I’m coming from a GT350R—the best sounding American car ever—but the T sounds straight asthmatic.

Exhaust it is. I’ll look into Vektor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zylinderkopfdichtung:
devtec (01-30-2021), tourenwagen (02-03-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 01:43 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by I-Man
This is exactly what I need to hear. Thank you! I am days into owning a Carrera T and while I love it, the sound sucks. Granted, I’m coming from a GT350R—the best sounding American car ever—but the T sounds straight asthmatic.

Exhaust it is. I’ll look into Vektor.

Nice.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed in my new baby. But the howl and improved throttle response of the Vektor headers have solved that problem.

To be clear, and to temper expectations (I don’t want you to be doubly disappointed, coming from a raucous, awesome American V8!), it is not night and day. The differences described above are real, but for the most part you have to be looking for them. They are there to be appreciated.

I suspect that adding cats would make it all more explicit, and bring the changes into the foreground.

Good luck.

Last edited by devtec; 01-30-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Zylinderkopfdichtung (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:48 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

Excellent! I agree with the headers there is definitely more of a cabin presence and more of that howl as the rpm's climb.

Do the high flow cats, it wont be too loud at all with the stock PSE. I was still looking for more and went with the Kline full catless exhaust and it is much louder now all around, but its also a beast.

I documented the changes on my YouTube. While its not a Vektor product they are both equal length headers so result should be similar.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh8...FeEskQ_vHYuHFA

devtec (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

The only way a Carrera T could remind one of a bmw 3 series is if you're not driving the car. I've owned BMW's and 6 991's. Nothing about them feels similar. But I'm glad you like the headers. The smoother (GT like) tone they bring is reason enough.
XLR82XS (02-09-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 05:12 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm truly humbled by your post. Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience.

All of the hours spent designing, engineering, running sims, prototype testing, and repeat, are all worth it when I see others truly enjoying all that has gone into these headers.

I sometimes struggle with articulating how the headers improve the feel, performance, and sound of the 991.2 You've done a great job describing those changes. The 991.2 is really an awesome bang-for-the-buck sports car, very close to perfect, and our header brings it that much closer. Bringing changes to a more 'classic' sound and performance being 'how it should have come' from the factory.
The following 4 users liked this post by VektorPerformance:
devtec (01-30-2021), F1SML8R (03-03-2021), GT3FZS (04-18-2021), Sarawnty (01-30-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:17 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by myrr
While you have -just- the headers, suggest posting a video from the inside / outside of the car. To my knowledge, there are no clips out there of just headers as people tend to do cats etc at the same time.
One of our early customers created a well-written DIY on the install of our headers onto his GTS as his first modification on the car. He also created a video after the header install to document the sound in the different modes and street driving in normal mode. The header install was the first time he has ever done a modification install on a car if you can believe it! Obviously, I'm biased, but our headers being equal length give the car that smoother 'classic' Porsche GT engine character with that even and smooth windup with the revs. I would say much like how the even firing of the flat plane crank V8 in the GT350 sounds smoother and better than the regular 5.0 Coyote in the GT Mustang.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1102...l#post15349903

Last edited by VektorPerformance; 01-31-2021 at 12:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by VektorPerformance:
F1SML8R (03-03-2021), GT3FZS (04-18-2021), Sarawnty (01-31-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:02 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

You guys with T's really have the ultimate response 991.2. Lightest with smallest turbos. Add in the equal length headers and you get that near NA response and GT sound!
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
devtec (02-10-2021), GT3FZS (04-18-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update: still loving the Vektor headers and my T. Really appreciate the subtly improved sound and the increased linearity of the throttle. It really does make the car feel more connected and willing. Well worth it I think.

I have some Vektor high flow cats on order, will report back how the addition of those sounds.
F1SML8R (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:09 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Awesome review – these will be going on my car at some point.
F1SML8R (02-10-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
You guys with T's really have the ultimate response 991.2. Lightest with smallest turbos. Add in the equal length headers and you get that near NA response and GT sound!
Exactly! My T modification philosophy is to add lightness and to take the biggest advantage of the spool of those little turbos. I did the latter on my 9-2X Aero (a pretty WRX, basically) with ported headers, up pipe, and big down pipe. While it never made dyno numbers like the big turbo cars, I was always faster in real world street driving.

I just ordered Swain-Tech coated Vektor headers today. Looking forward to the install!
Old 02-11-2021, 10:37 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Man
Exactly! My T modification philosophy is to add lightness and to take the biggest advantage of the spool of those little turbos. I did the latter on my 9-2X Aero (a pretty WRX, basically) with ported headers, up pipe, and big down pipe. While it never made dyno numbers like the big turbo cars, I was always faster in real world street driving.

I just ordered Swain-Tech coated Vektor headers today. Looking forward to the install!
Oh yeah, I know the Saabaru! My bro-in-law had a bugeye wagon. When he took the kids to school, he'd stop a couple blocks away and then do a launch.
Zylinderkopfdichtung (02-13-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:52 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

As a quick FYI, in case you are wondering, the Swain coating is paintable with header paint.

The Vektor headers I purchased were used and had a few scuffs on them, so I wanted to give them a quick refinishing. I also wanted something more low key than the white/chalk finish of the Swain coating, something that would actually blend in and not call attention to itself.

Per the swaintech website,

"Because White Lightning™ really is a ceramic, it is not possible to offer color choices like you can get with paint based coatings. However, the white textured finish of White Lightning™ makes it an ideal base for a good high temperature paint if you want to change the color of the coating. The high temperature paints bond well to the natural textured finish of White Lightning and the paint will not impact the effectiveness or durability of the White Lightning™ coating."

I found this to be exactly the case. Followed directions for the header paint (in my case, VHT SP998 Flameproof Coating ceramic paint, "cast iron" color), and it is holding up perfectly so far, about a thousand miles and more than a few canyon runs later. Even matches the patina of the stock exhaust parts.

Before:

After:

Last edited by devtec; 03-03-2021 at 02:37 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by devtec:
Ecosse911 (03-03-2021), minh (03-03-2021), polobai (03-03-2021), tourenwagen (04-14-2021), VektorPerformance (03-03-2021), XLR82XS (03-11-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Vektor Header Review