Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All season versus snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021 | 07:02 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andy515
I am running the Bridgestone Potenza 980AS on my 20” inch wheels (11” classic width) and they are fine. Same situation as you- I don’t drive in snow but want to get out when cold and I don’t track the car or drive crazy speeds. The tires are decent so far. Would some Mich summer tires be better in the summer- probably but I don’t have to switch my tires twice a year and time when to do it. I’m sure I give up some performance that I will never use so works for me.
Same here. Used them in light snow/ice the other night and they were great. I do have AWD though.
Old 01-28-2021 | 08:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This is completely false. All season tire compounds are specifically formulated for the tire to perform well in a wide temperature range and all weather conditions. That is why they are called "all season".

Are all season tires as good as full winter tires in ice and snow? Of course not. Are all season tires going to perform as well as a high performance summer tire in hot dry conditions? Again, of course not. An all season is a decent performer all around but with performance compromises compared to condition specific tires.

As others have written, for serious winter driving it is best to have dedicated winter tires on a spare set of wheels. If you daily drive your 911 and occasionally drive in cold weather with light snow all season tires might be great for that.
This ——^ x991

Old 01-29-2021 | 12:54 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chillinonahd
Good feedback, not planning to drive in snow only looking to be able to get in more nice weather days when the temps are too cold for summer only tires. So, all season should give a bit better performance than winter but less than sticky summer tires. Also, I should be able to use the same wheels. That's where I've landed from this thread. Now it's decision time. Thx!
Most of my winter driving in the 911 is on cold, dry roads. I don’t drive it in snowy conditions very often; I’ve got a truck for that. The winter tires available for the 911 are great in cold weather, and they handle well. I use Michelin Latitude Alpins on the Porsche. They’re not like the Blizzaks on my truck.
Old 01-29-2021 | 02:55 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This is completely false. All season tire compounds are specifically formulated for the tire to perform well in a wide temperature range and all weather conditions. That is why they are called "all season".

Are all season tires as good as full winter tires in ice and snow? Of course not. Are all season tires going to perform as well as a high performance summer tire in hot dry conditions? Again, of course not. An all season is a decent performer all around but with performance compromises compared to condition specific tires.

As others have written, for serious winter driving it is best to have dedicated winter tires on a spare set of wheels. If you daily drive your 911 and occasionally drive in cold weather with light snow all season tires might be great for that.
https://www.machinedesign.com/commun...d-winter-tires

https://www.wheels.ca/news/all-seaso...th-or-reality/

My point was that winter tires specifically designed for winter temperature ranges and shifts were far superior in winter than All seasons.

If you live in a climate that regularly goes below 5 degree celsius and sometimes it snows then winter tires are absolutely necessary and all seasons won't save you. This is if you are mostly in the North East and Northern part of the states. If you live in Florida or California then you can probably get away with just Summer tires and definitely a good set of all seasons.

I basically backed up everyone saying get winter tires because they're purposely engineered and designed for winter climates. It's strange being said "You're wrong" and then reading "Winter tires are better in the winter" in the same post. It's just weird and inconsistent.

All seasons are "jacks of all trades" types of tires and will never excel in cold weather performance or hot weather performance. Hell, all seasons aren't even necessarily better at wet performance than many ultra high performance summer tires, either.

My point still stands and I think it's good advice. If you live in a climate that has extreme temperature swings (like much of Northern US) then you should have a set of good winter and summer tires.
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:15 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Actually, winter tires do not perform as well as all season tires in non-snow conditions. Up to a point, even summer tires are better from a braking and traction perspective. Traction and braking performance of a winter tire is compromised *because* they are designed to work on snow, with wider sipes - take a look at this interesting video -

Now, it should be noted that those tests were done on new tires, and as we all know, performance changes drastically as tires wear, so the following is also informative - https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...erformance.htm

The TL;DR; version - it's really not as clear-cut as people think it is w.r.t. tires. If you live in a cold climate without much in the way of snow, and you want to have better braking and cornering performance, then all-season or 3 peaks tires are a better option for winter driving, with summer tires for summer. If, on the other hand, you want to optimize more for snow, then full on winter tires are a better option for winter.
Old 01-29-2021 | 09:41 AM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I just put a set of Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires on my 991.1 C2S, and couldn't be happier. The grip in both dry and wet cold is amazing. No regrets at all. I'm on 20" wheels as well. New wheels can be pricey, so keep an eye out on the classifieds. Wheel sets come up for sale all the time and you can pick up a set of genuine Porsche wheels at a fraction of the price of new ones.
same. I just have one set of wheels too, my dealer swaps them and stores the tires for me off-season.
Old 01-29-2021 | 10:13 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
https://www.machinedesign.com/commun...d-winter-tires

https://www.wheels.ca/news/all-seaso...th-or-reality/

My point was that winter tires specifically designed for winter temperature ranges and shifts were far superior in winter than All seasons.

If you live in a climate that regularly goes below 5 degree celsius and sometimes it snows then winter tires are absolutely necessary and all seasons won't save you. This is if you are mostly in the North East and Northern part of the states. If you live in Florida or California then you can probably get away with just Summer tires and definitely a good set of all seasons.

I basically backed up everyone saying get winter tires because they're purposely engineered and designed for winter climates. It's strange being said "You're wrong" and then reading "Winter tires are better in the winter" in the same post. It's just weird and inconsistent.

All seasons are "jacks of all trades" types of tires and will never excel in cold weather performance or hot weather performance. Hell, all seasons aren't even necessarily better at wet performance than many ultra high performance summer tires, either.

My point still stands and I think it's good advice. If you live in a climate that has extreme temperature swings (like much of Northern US) then you should have a set of good winter and summer tires.
Dude, no matter what you say my previous point is that your statement below was completely false and still is completely false. And most of what you have written above is also untrue. Stop spreading incorrect information. The OP is talking about driving in cold conditions without snow. An all season tire is probably his best choice for best performance.

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
You shouldn't be running all season tires across wide ranges of seasonal changes. All season compounds are engineered for specific environmental conditions.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-29-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2021 | 02:28 PM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I just put a set of Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires on my 991.1 C2S, and couldn't be happier. The grip in both dry and wet cold is amazing. No regrets at all. I'm on 20" wheels as well. New wheels can be pricey, so keep an eye out on the classifieds. Wheel sets come up for sale all the time and you can pick up a set of genuine Porsche wheels at a fraction of the price of new ones.
exact same boat, same experience. very pleased.
Old 01-29-2021 | 10:55 PM
SFernando
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Catharpin
Same here. Used them in light snow/ice the other night and they were great. I do have AWD though.
Bridgestone here on a 991.2 C2. Excellent grip, smooth riding, quiet. Some flat spotting if the car sits for a few days between drives but that disappears once the tires warm up. Can’t comment on snow because I have no plans to drive in those conditions.
Old 01-30-2021 | 10:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I spent *decades* commuting in and out of Boston, every day, on all-season tires. Boston commute is pretty much Death Race 2000 without explosives. Even Detroit traffic (and road condition) is better.

No wrecks.

The tightness of the nut behind the wheel is more important than the type of tire.

If you are going to routinely drive before the plows do their thing or drive on dirt roads in Maine during the winter then get dedicated winter shoes.

If you’re only going to drive in winter when it’s cold but dry, all-season tires will be ok.

Tire compounds have come a LONG way in the last 20 years. And that is a main point in one of the articles posted by Mr. All-season-tires-are-the-work-of-the-Devil.

On the other hand, if the nut behind the wheel is only hand-tight, then by all means winter tires are a must from September to June.

The most important tidbit is that Summer-only tires should not be used when it is wet and cold and only very carefully when cold.

Quick Reply: All season versus snow tires