Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New potential owner asking questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

That's a loaded question OP. Your wife needs a new car, because you have a newborn and a 7 year old, so you'll probably throw some money there. Your current car seems to be holding up ok,($800 bucks for a repair on a 9 year old car, is not bad, BMW or not) and you put a decent amount of miles on your cars per year. Again, you asked for our opinions in helping you. make a smart decision.
I commented similarly on another post to someone. The early 991 gen is now starting to get down to that price range, where it's more attainable by the larger population. That's great, and I'm not advising people to shy away from that, but what you need to consider, is not the if you can afford to purchase the car, but can you afford to keep up with maintenance and small repairs that will needed to be done, as well as dumping 3-4k to get an extended warranty, a few grand for some other small tid bits of maintenance you will need to do, etc. If you don't go with warranty, just hope you don't need anything repaired on these cars. Prices can get extremely steep. For the most part, change the oil, some spark plugs and belt maintenance, per Porsche's maint. guide, and you'll be fine. Helps if you can do a lot of this yourself, these cars can be worked on, not that difficult. I'm just playing devil's advocate to share the other side of the story. Otherwise, go for it and enjoy in good health. These machines are great.

Last edited by NJ991; 01-31-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 AM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

Thats a big change to go from 5series to 911 imo with 2 little kids.
My suggestion is to get F80 M3 in manual.

I used to have 535i Msport and that car was amazing but it was a lease, zero issues.
Currently have F80 M3 and 991.2 T. 911 has much better suspension damping but is much louder inside, much less space, getting in/out is more difficult, putting kids in the back is a pain, zero storage inside etc.

Quick Reply: New potential owner asking questions