Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue: Fault Engine Control + Misfire, Changed VVTSolenoids+SparkPlugs+IgnitionCoils

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:16 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I would boroscope through the spark plug before making a decision, maybe even replace injector #5.
Techron is a solvent cleaner, in this case sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. If the Techron helped I would continue to follow fueling issues although if you have carbon build up it could have helped there (hence the boroscope).
​​​​​Doubt you have a bad lifter at this mileage.
​​
Old 01-26-2021, 09:36 PM
Mop
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
I would boroscope through the spark plug before making a decision, maybe even replace injector #5.
Techron is a solvent cleaner, in this case sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. If the Techron helped I would continue to follow fueling issues although if you have carbon build up it could have helped there (hence the boroscope).
​​​​​Doubt you have a bad lifter at this mileage.
​​
Hmm this gives me some hope. It seemed the porsche tech was quite knowledgeable when discussing the lifter tap. I'm not an ICE expert but your points make sense. I hope i didn't waste $500 for a random diagnostics--

Sorry for the slew of questions:
- What would I be looking for assuming i bought a boroscope and took a quick peek?
- Anyway to test/isolate the fuel injector?
- Still worthwhile to look into fuel pump / regulator? Seems less likely since the replacement of the spark plug / ignition coil, for those 2 days, it ran smooth as silk. I'd imagine that wouldn't be the case if my fuel pump / regulators were damaged and more than just cylinder 5 would be triggering.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Mop
Hey folks, just closing the loop here and providing an update incase it helps others--

After a week of back and forth with Porsche of Redwood City in the bay area (would highly recommend, I worked with Greg from the service department and the service and attention to detail was impeccable. Did not attempt to sell me unnecessary things and helped to explain everything to a tee. As well as chatted with Michael, the service tech, who provided insight):
- Turns out, after another sparkplug and coil swap, which helped for about 2 days, the issue sprung up again specifically for Cylinder 5 misfiring (CEL, PSM, Start/Stop failures/lights). They were able to reproduce the issue in the shop and seems to be coming from the LIFTER/CAMSHAFT which points to an internal engine issue. There is a well defined lifter tap from cyl 5 and their guess is that it is gunked up and not opening/lifting as designed, hence, fuel additives seeming to temporarily help with the issue. Unfortunately, they would need to disassemble the engine to confirm this which would be an extensive job. At that point, it would make sense to make the swap out but at a cost of ~$9k. I called up some indies to see comparison but they pointed out some important factors: engine reassembly is a difficult job with high risk, mistakes can be catastrophic and 2 of them declined to even attempt/quote the job. Plus porsche dealership would offer a 2 year warranty on the parts itself.

Now just at an impasse with what to do:
- wholesale for a loss and just accept it
- continue to use fuel additives to see if it can help with the gunk assuming its the issue and continue driving
- repair, but i dont see myself forking over 9k. Might make more sense to move to a cayman gt4 or another 911 at that point.

Thoughts?
I'd give these guys a buzz with all the documentation you have available and see if they have ideas, they have rebuilt many 9A1 motors and I am sure are more knowledgeable about these motors than any dealership. Maybe they can point you in a better direction?

https://lnengineering.com/

These guys too....they do a ton of 9A1 motor work.

https://www.teambgb.com/category-s/158.htm

Last edited by Joec500; 01-26-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Honestly not sure what I would do first as there seems to be conflicting diagnostics.
Would still check fuel pressure under load as your misfire counters did rise on all cylinders.
Also would check leakdown and compression just to cover the bases.
With the boroscope you are looking for carbon build up and bore scoring (search for pictures).
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (01-28-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:09 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

This is definitely interesting, so please keep updating us with your results/findings.

In between my last two Porsche's, I owned an Audi S5 for short time. Those cars are notorious for the carbon build up issue, and the majority of the higher mileage cars had it. The carbon cleaning process was relatively inexpensive and resolved the majority of the multiple CEL codes that these cars would throw.

I haven't heard of too many issues with carbon build up on our DFI cars, but they are now getting into the mileage range. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm
This is definitely interesting, so please keep updating us with your results/findings.

In between my last two Porsche's, I owned an Audi S5 for short time. Those cars are notorious for the carbon build up issue, and the majority of the higher mileage cars had it. The carbon cleaning process was relatively inexpensive and resolved the majority of the multiple CEL codes that these cars would throw.

I haven't heard of too many issues with carbon build up on our DFI cars, but they are now getting into the mileage range. Good luck and keep us posted!
Sorry to digress, but what year Audi?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:36 PM
Mop
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Joec, I'll reach out to those folks. That's super encouraging given the indie's were quite adverse to working on the 9A1 motor. Guess it's still relatively new.
and thanks VII7, will do, good pointers.

Originally Posted by Jack F
- To add a question here, what specific carbon build up cleaning steps were taken? Seems like there are many routes and hopefully urs didnt involve disassembling the engine haha.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:42 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Mop
Thanks Joec, I'll reach out to those folks. That's super encouraging given the indie's were quite adverse to working on the 9A1 motor. Guess it's still relatively new.

- To add a question here, what specific carbon build up cleaning steps were taken? Seems like there are many routes and hopefully urs didnt involve disassembling the engine haha.
Somtimes walnut blast.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:34 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 213 Posts

My 981S had the same exact issue!

Permanent Fault Engine Control - Possible to Drive On Yellow light (used to be intermittent, is now present even after restarting the car)
Engine will heavily shudder / vibrate (I would assume misfiring) under hard acceleration or hard turning/driving and lose significant power for anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes -> this then would add the following yellow lights:
- Start/Stop deactivated
- PSM Loss

I took it to a local Indy and they ran the codes and the PSM Control Unit fault came up along with P1044 and P1433. There was also something about the PDK. The mechanic couldn't figure it out and cleared the faults. A week or so later, I started again getting the extreme misfiring and shudder after 10 min of driving. Before it would take about 20 or so minutes before it would start misfiring. I was in the process of purchasing a home and decided to sell the car to Carvana and not look more into it.

I am curious to see how this plays out for the OP. I would definitely get another opinion before shelling out $9k

Last edited by 3uros; 01-26-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:00 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Mop

I mean, even with the shipping cost $800-1000. It could be worth shipping your car to one of those shops if they are confident they know the cause and can make the repair. Then you have a nice roadtrip home
Old 01-27-2021, 01:24 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

I would continue with the Techron or a stronger solvent (liquimoly has a few options that are pretty strong) to see if it gets better. I would also give Jon @BGB Motorsports a ring as he is the 9a1 god (especially in the 981 chassis) to see what he suggests.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
It was a 2010 S5 (B8), last of the V8's with a 6sp manual transmission. It was a great car to drive around town, but just not the same anywhere else. Plus the Audi community was just not the same as what we have here.
See the before/after pic:

Old 01-27-2021, 11:55 AM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

if youre in socal, i highly recommend to try and contact House Automotive (Pasadena and Encino locations). Greg is the owner there and super knowledgable and helpful in diagnosing our cars. And he wont try to upsell you on anything unnecessary either. 100% honest and direct guy.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

If I was you, I would lean on what jeffm is saying. Almost all modern cars will have this carbon build up, our cars are no different. This is why a lot of guys use oil separators(oil catch cans). It catches most of the oil that would normally get sucked back into the intake and causes the carbon build up. I think one of the vendors here have already created an oil separator for our cars. Anyways, call around and find out who can do the carbon cleaning. For a few hundred bucks, wouldn’t hurt to do it. The Porsche techs seemed confident something could be gummed up. Or, get a scope and check yourself, or have a shop do it.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:27 PM
chip_962
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the verdict on this P0332/P1044 issue? Could the knock sensor output be weak, if the engine was misfiring a lot on Bank 2? Seems plausible.

Quick Reply: Issue: Fault Engine Control + Misfire, Changed VVTSolenoids+SparkPlugs+IgnitionCoils