Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.1 GTS, options to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020 | 08:13 PM
yoda888
Racer

Default .1 GTS, options to get?

Been searching around on the Rennlist for references to a .1 GTS buyer’s guide but didn’t have much luck. If there is information out there I apologize for the re-post of questions. Also seems most GTS related posts are for the .2 GTSs.

I’m interested in a .1 GTS. What are the must have options? What are nice to haves? Was there a SPASM option for the .1s?

Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of? I guess this would apply to all 991.1 cars in general.

I’m coming from a 987.2 S with PDK. I would like to have a backseat so I can pickup/drop off my 5-year old to school (whenever they’re open again). So I’m looking at ‘larger’ cars. If not, I’d seriously consider a GT4 or a GTS4.0!

Old 12-27-2020 | 08:25 PM
afk
Racer

991.1 GTS Cab

Old 12-27-2020 | 08:30 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

1. Make sure it has a clutch pedal.....
The following 7 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
Brian E (12-28-2020), dd356 (12-27-2020), desmotesta (12-28-2020), Icon_911 (12-28-2020), jfischet (12-28-2020), NJ991 (12-27-2020), polobai (12-28-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:05 PM
afk
Racer

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
1. Make sure it has a clutch pedal.....
I love the PDK

its engineering in action!

shifts are smooth and crisp and works very well in many different situations !

if you want to go old school - feel free to listen to all the manual transmission guys

if you want ease of use and fun to drive in all situations go for the PDK

Thats my opinion - take it for what it’s worth

just my 2cents!
The following 4 users liked this post by afk:
991.1GTS (12-27-2020), desmotesta (12-28-2020), nzskater (12-28-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020 | 10:10 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by afk
I love the PDK

its engineering in action! = manual

shifts are smooth and crisp and works very well in many different situations ! = manual

if you want to go old school - feel free to listen to all the manual transmission guys - yep

if you want ease of use and fun to drive in all situations go for the manual

Thats my opinion - take it for what it’s worth

just my 2cents!
Got your back
Old 12-27-2020 | 11:58 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Most seem to be equipped with center-lock hubs, which look nice but aren't as practical as the 5 lug hubs, especially if you live in a climate where winter wheels/tires make sense.. Also, ventilated seats are worthwhile.
Old 12-28-2020 | 12:04 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

My 997.2 is a 6 speed but I really dig the PDK on my GTS. The cab has great noise. Amazing. If I had my choice I would pass on Alcantara. You have to keep up the maintenance on it, and you don't get air-conditioned seats with it. I don't know if air-conditioned seats work much anyway.
Old 12-28-2020 | 12:34 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

+1 on the PDK. It is brilliant although I have yet to come across a 991.1 GTS MT owner who has not loved his/her car as well. SPASM was available as an option on the coupe only. I agree with getting leather rather than alcantara and I can vouch that both the seat warmers and seat coolers work incredibly well. Another +1 on going with the cab. The NA engine sounds fantastic with the top down.
Old 12-28-2020 | 12:35 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

On a 991.1 a must have is sport exhaust, Spasm suspension, and sport chrono. Outside of those mentioned is entirely up to your taste and preference. The 991 is a very good and practical sports car.

Last edited by 2-Rotor; 12-28-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2020 | 01:42 AM
Bemo
Drifting

+PDK
+Leather
+Ventilated seats
+ 5-lug wheels
+Sport Chrono/Spasm
+Sport Exhaust

..then again i'm biased since I enjoy all of the above
The following users liked this post:
991.1GTS (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020 | 02:44 AM
yoda888
Racer

Sorry, no cab for me. I’m not a drop top kind of guy. Had a booster loaner from the dealer and had to pull off the freeway to put the top back up. =P. Too windy for me. I gotta conserve my hair!

A 3rd pedal would be nice. But they seem to be as rare has hen’s teeth based on my searches. The other thing with a manual is it would relegate the car to an only weekend car. I want to be able to drive it to work a couple of days a week too. My commute is no fun to drive manual. Though I do question when coved is over, what the new normal will be? Will people only commute 2-3x a week and thus traffic will be lighter? (I’m doubting this as I drove on 101 on the peninsula recently and it looks like they’re going to make 2 out of 4 lanes HOV lanes! WTF?!)

What’s the difference between SPASM and PASM? I don’t see a lot of cars with Sport PASM.

How is the wear/durability of alcantara? How is it to take care of vs. leather?

I would actually prefer no sunroof, but it looks like 95% of the cars have a sun or moonroof.

Old 12-28-2020 | 09:45 AM
Piacenza
Intermediate

My thoughts as follows:
Love MT and have owned many in the past but PDK was my final choice...probably just due to versatility of use. I have a 2015 991.1 GTS - GT Silver, with a Kline Inconel full exhaust and it sounds menacing with the NA motor at higher revs, but not obnoxious, I think

Options:
+SPASM
+Moonroof
+Alcantara (car is not a daily driver, otherwise leather would be my choice)
+PDCC (I have it but not required)
+18 way adjustable Sport Seats

Of course, many more modifications lie in your future...this is how you will make it your own 1 of 1

Last edited by Piacenza; 12-28-2020 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
991.1GTS (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020 | 10:14 AM
991.1GTS
Racer

This is such a personal thing ... what’s important to you and where do you live are key - IMO. For example I live in Florida and I didn’t want the moonroof as the sun is just to hot with a glass roof, yet I see another Floridian has it on his list. There is no right or wrong. With that said, ventilated seats were a must have for me 😎. The GTS is provisioned so well that I doubt you will be disappointed, it’s such a great car!
Old 12-28-2020 | 12:53 PM
SConn
Drifting

I've owned my 991.1 GTS Coupe for 14 months now.. It was my first Pcar and I love it.
I have nothing to compare it to, however, if I had to buy again, I would definitely be looking for one with:

Full Leather
PSE
Sport Chrono
SPASM
Glass Sunroof
Aerokit

I have PDK and have zero complaints, but if 2 identical cars were side by side, I would have jumped on the manual.
Old 12-28-2020 | 05:26 PM
993to991
6th Gear

Originally Posted by yoda888
Sorry, no cab for me. I’m not a drop top kind of guy. Had a booster loaner from the dealer and had to pull off the freeway to put the top back up. =P. Too windy for me. I gotta conserve my hair!

A 3rd pedal would be nice. But they seem to be as rare has hen’s teeth based on my searches. The other thing with a manual is it would relegate the car to an only weekend car. I want to be able to drive it to work a couple of days a week too. My commute is no fun to drive manual. Though I do question when coved is over, what the new normal will be? Will people only commute 2-3x a week and thus traffic will be lighter? (I’m doubting this as I drove on 101 on the peninsula recently and it looks like they’re going to make 2 out of 4 lanes HOV lanes! WTF?!)

What’s the difference between SPASM and PASM? I don’t see a lot of cars with Sport PASM.

How is the wear/durability of alcantara? How is it to take care of vs. leather?

I would actually prefer no sunroof, but it looks like 95% of the cars have a sun or moonroof.
I bought a 2015 GTS PDK SPASM about a month ago.

Nice thing is that all the performance options are taken care of for you with the GTS, so the only big choices left are the personal ones on PDK and interior.

Personally, I was sold on the PDK (along with the rear seats) to make it a viable second car for occasional commuting, driving in San Francisco, and child pickup.

I have SPASM - you can look up more info on this site about it, but in short, it lowers the car by an additional 10mm over the standard PASM. I did want it and still do... It's not such a huge difference that you'll always be scraping it and I don't think it makes the ride significantly worse either. Maybe a quarter of the GTS's I saw had it. I read some dislikes on how the PDCC changed the vehicle dynamics so that was an automatic no for me however. Order the DSC v3 (read all about it here too) in any case as that does make a significant difference in ride quality and performance.

I think maybe a third had the standard Alcantara, a third with the GTS interior package (leather plus more and contrasting stitching on the Alcantara), and then another third had Alcantara delete. I would have liked leather, or the GTS interior package, but I didn't see any of the former with the 18-ways, and the latter options were around $10k more. You should certainly check out the Alcantara - I didn't think I would like it but it seems to wear very well, has a nice feel and look to it. Would have loved full natural leather ... but not at the expense of losing SPASM, 18-ways, and the cost or waiting many months for the unicorn. If I buy next one new... I'll spec it like I want it with the exact color and trim. In the mean-time, I actually like the black aluminum trim better than the shiny carbon and the standard interior in black looks and feels fine. With Alcantara it is a bit grippier and you don't need ventilated seats either. But I think this is a personal decision based mostly on what you can find.

Other than that, mine is black and with darker colors, I think the moonroof is great. I drive with the shade open and it brightens it up (especially with dark interior). For red and lighter colors, I would prefer the body color metal sunroof, but most still had the moonroof. I didn't see any GTS without.

I have the LED headlights which wasn't common. I think the PDLS is already standard on the GTS, the LED does have the auto-high-beam which works well and the newer looking lighter ring. It's just a nice-to-have I think though.

Heated seats and entry drive (real keyless) were a bit more nice to have for me. Nearly all had the former, maybe half the latter. Park assist is common and with 2015 it comes with the camera, which is useful when you are used to having it.

I saw only one car with the 5 lug wheels (and it had almost no options). I do like the look of the center locks a lot though and not planning on doing wheel swaps so was happy to stick with that.

There are not a lot of GTS around... other option is just to find a S with all the relevant options. Or a 4s if you want the wide-body. I wanted RWD and wide body though, and happy to have the extra special bits (including the HP). And pricing wasn't necessarily on a different tier for GTS v.s. similar S.

Good luck with the search! When you get it, skip 101 though and take 280 and detour on Skyline
The following 2 users liked this post by 993to991:
Martin S. (08-19-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-29-2020)

Quick Reply: .1 GTS, options to get?