Sponsored by:

Cobb / Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020 | 03:21 PM
owl_and_octo
Cruisin'

Default Cobb / Warranty

Hello!

We just purchased our current Porsche last week and drove it home from LA to Seattle. We noticed a few issues during the drive (I believe the coil packs may be bad, and a few smaller non mechanical issues) which resulted in a number of codes and we are taking it into the dealer to have them looked at. The car has a Cobb tune currently installed.

Does it make sense to put the factory tune back on prior to bringing it in? Or will that erase the codes that are there?

This is our first Porsche dealer experience so not totally sure what to expect.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2020 | 03:28 PM
polobai
Drifting

I would put the tune back to stock so they dont do any finger pointing. It will clear the codes, but if they are misfires or anything serious, they will come back-just drive it for a bit before taking it in.
Old 12-14-2020 | 03:59 PM
owl_and_octo
Cruisin'

Makes sense. Just reset it. Will see how it goes. Thanks
Old 12-14-2020 | 04:26 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Couple of points. and I make those not knowing the full extent of the issues with your car.,.

Dont "tune" the car if you cant deal with the consequences. Adding tune to push the engine to further limits, and then removing the tune before taking the car into dealer is basically "Warranty Fraud".

Porsche, or any other manufacturer warranties their car based on their R&D and original equipment. I am amused by people pointing fingers at others committing employment fraud, insurance fraud etc, while all day every day, people are significantly modifying their cars, having issues and reverting back to stock and pretty much lying and playing dumb about the issues on the car, expecting at the same time for the manufacturer to pick up the tab.
Now I am not saying that issues with your car are because of the tune, I am just saying reverting back to stock is a behavior not different to committing fraud but somehow became an acceptable practice.

just my 2 cents
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
George from MD (12-16-2020), Scott McMurran (01-03-2021)
Old 12-14-2020 | 04:34 PM
owl_and_octo
Cruisin'

I agree with you. I've taken a factory lotus with warranty into a full race car and understand at a certain point, you're accepting responsibility for the vehicle. In this case, we didn't tune it - the prior owner did. We just purchased the car and drove it home. I'd perfectly happy operating the vehicle in stock ECU format so seems worth starting off with a clean slate.
Old 12-14-2020 | 04:37 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by owl_and_octo
I agree with you. I've taken a factory lotus with warranty into a full race car and understand at a certain point, you're accepting responsibility for the vehicle. In this case, we didn't tune it - the prior owner did. We just purchased the car and drove it home. I'd perfectly happy operating the vehicle in stock ECU format so seems worth starting off with a clean slate.
Understood and good luck with the diagnostic.

Also, kudos for actually reading my post not reacting with a knee-jerk defensive response (so often seen on forums).

Old 12-14-2020 | 05:29 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Couple of points. and I make those not knowing the full extent of the issues with your car.,.

Dont "tune" the car if you cant deal with the consequences. Adding tune to push the engine to further limits, and then removing the tune before taking the car into dealer is basically "Warranty Fraud".

Porsche, or any other manufacturer warranties their car based on their R&D and original equipment. I am amused by people pointing fingers at others committing employment fraud, insurance fraud etc, while all day every day, people are significantly modifying their cars, having issues and reverting back to stock and pretty much lying and playing dumb about the issues on the car, expecting at the same time for the manufacturer to pick up the tab.
Now I am not saying that issues with your car are because of the tune, I am just saying reverting back to stock is a behavior not different to committing fraud but somehow became an acceptable practice.

just my 2 cents
I don't see how there is any fraud involved. Tuning the car doesn't void the warranty unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the the tune is the direct cause of the failure. Tuning back to stock lessens the chance the manufacturer will wrongly use the tune as an excuse to deny a legit warranty claim.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020 | 05:30 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim991
I don't see how there is any fraud involved. Tuning the car doesn't void the warranty unless the manufacturer can demonstrate the the tune is the direct cause of the failure. Tuning back to stock lessens the chance the manufacturer will wrongly use the tune as an excuse to deny a legit warranty claim.

George Carlin has a pretty funny joke about other people skimming the system but not when I do it.. something along those lines.. check it out

Last edited by desmotesta; 12-14-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2020 | 05:54 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

George Carlin has a pretty funny joke about other people skimming the system but not when I do it.. something along those lines.. check it out
I can live with myself even after the great tuning warranty fraud. Sleep like a baby.
Old 12-15-2020 | 06:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim991
I can live with myself even after the great tuning warranty fraud. Sleep like a baby.
...every single night, when I dream about passing others with my Cobb tune.
Old 12-15-2020 | 07:02 PM
uphoto
Pro

No, he is right, it’s the law actually. They cannot turn down a warranty claim on a modded car if they can’t prove it led to the faulty part.

The mod police are worse than the dealers.
manifold danger (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020 | 01:23 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
No, he is right, it’s the law actually. They cannot turn down a warranty claim on a modded car if they can’t prove it led to the faulty part.

The mod police are worse than the dealers.
"unapproved modifications to the spark and fueling caused improper loads in the engine leading to premature failure of (insert part here)"

there's all the proof they need, historically speaking.
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
desmotesta (12-16-2020), George from MD (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020 | 02:34 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
"unapproved modifications to the spark and fueling caused improper loads in the engine leading to premature failure of (insert part here)"

there's all the proof they need, historically speaking.
Exactly, hence the recommendation to remove the tune before going to the dealer. If the person has a tune and they blow an engine or seals because of raised engine temp etc and are trying to get it warrantied then that's another issue and is fraudulent.

But we all know and have heard those stories of "oh you have an aftermarket suspension, we can't warranty that water pump for you" type of bs, so always good to take something like a tune out of the equation to not let the dealers get too creative
polobai (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020 | 06:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
Exactly, hence the recommendation to remove the tune before going to the dealer. If the person has a tune and they blow an engine or seals because of raised engine temp etc and are trying to get it warrantied then that's another issue and is fraudulent.

But we all know and have heard those stories of "oh you have an aftermarket suspension, we can't warranty that water pump for you" type of bs, so always good to take something like a tune out of the equation to not let the dealers get too creative
Oh for sure. Those instances have been sued into the ground, a lot of dealerships (at least around here) are pretty scared to pull that kind of crap these days.
Old 12-16-2020 | 06:37 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Also, kudos for actually reading my post not reacting with a knee-jerk defensive response (so often seen on forums).
My response was audibly a bit knee jerk to say the least. But I still read it

Quick Reply: Cobb / Warranty