Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter and Cable Review for 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 11:47 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

I just really want to know if I should go with the 2 mm spring or the 1.5 mm spring before a spring for this pun intended. I drive a 991.2 C to S not a track vehicle but one that I want to feel like a track vehicle. I’m leaning towards the 2 mm sprain but just want some reassurance that it will not be overkill for an amateur driver. Would love to hear of people‘s experiences with that kit only and not the cables.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:54 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I just really want to know if I should go with the 2 mm spring or the 1.5 mm spring before a spring for this pun intended. I drive a 991.2 C to S not a track vehicle but one that I want to feel like a track vehicle. I’m leaning towards the 2 mm sprain but just want some reassurance that it will not be overkill for an amateur driver. Would love to hear of people‘s experiences with that kit only and not the cables.
2mm. That’s what’s comparable to the OEM SSK. 1.5mm will have substantially less and feels very light.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:11 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 299 Posts

I have the 2mm spring and it's not too heavy at all. IMHO, it's perfect and will give you the feel that you're looking for (track car for the street).
I was a little hesitant as well, but with the recommendation from John at Soul I went with the 2mm. He didn't even think about which one to get, he knew right away to go with the 2mm spring. I'm glad I did.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:43 AM
jeffucd
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up! Question for OP and those that have both the shifter and cable installed: if you already have the shifter installed, is it worth it to go back and do the cables as well? And a tougher question is how different would it feel?

I just purchased a 991.2 GTS with the Numeric shifter, but the previous owner believes the cables were not done

In its present form it feels awesome. The previous owner also put in a Function First shift **** and it makes a great shifting experience.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:05 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

I had both done right away as the reviews that I've read indicated that the cables were worth it. The stock cables look like toys compared to the Numeric.
The following users liked this post:
jeffucd (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

In addition to the shifter and cables, I strongly suggest also ordering the special wrench and silicone insulation. The wrench works well for the cable ends up by the shifter where there isn’t a lot of room to fit a regular wrench. I first didn’t install the silicone tubing and experienced some noise from the cables banging around between the firewall and transmission. I added the silicone tubing afterwards which completely cured the banging noise problem.

I agree with the comments so far re the cables. I did the work myself and I’d say 2/3 of the work involves getting the radio bits and front centre console apart. Installing the cables involves removing the rear seats and rear centre console. So might as well install the cables when you’re into 2/3rds of the work :-)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:48 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 665 Posts

Big fan. Had both installed by dealer when they put on my cat back Soul exhaust. A bit expensive but after watching the video, I knew there was no way I could attempt it, especially the cables. Very happy with the results.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:22 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeffucd
Great write up! Question for OP and those that have both the shifter and cable installed: if you already have the shifter installed, is it worth it to go back and do the cables as well? And a tougher question is how different would it feel?
I’ve had just the shifter installed for the last year and a half and will probably add the cables while on leave from work. I live close to Numeric, so I just have to stop procrastinating and find out what or if Numeric would charge for the install...
Old 01-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

I installed the shifter over the weekend. Pretty simple using the video in post #14, was a 1 beer job. Amazing difference. Sifts are positive and it feels so solid. It takes a bit more effort to shift which is perfectly fine. When I first got the car, the stock shifter was so vague and flimsy, I had to be careful not to shift into reverse gear when finding first. No way that mistake could be made now. I do find that you have to pay attention going into 6th gear, if you are gentle with the stick you will go to 4th instead. I haven't had it on the highway, so no chance to do the 7-5 shift yet, but with the stock shifter it's really easy to hit 3rd, a bit scary as well.
For a 6 figure car, this is the shifter that should have been in it to begin with. I also have a new set of cables, but haven't done that part yet. I might wait a bit and enjoy it the way it is.

rugu6869 (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:47 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

^ Nice! I know the cables are a bit more involved, hence why I didn't do it myself.
I had both done at the same time. From everything I've read, the cables do make a difference as well. I can only compare the stock shifter and cables to the Numeric shifter and cables, not seperately.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Decided to take a stab at making YouTube videos and my first one is a review of the installation of the Numeric Short Shifter (no cables). I’m no pro as you will see.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-21-2021 at 10:16 AM.
rugu6869 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:29 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sarawnty
...I first didn’t install the silicone tubing and experienced some noise from the cables banging around between the firewall and transmission. I added the silicone tubing afterwards which completely cured the banging noise problem.
I'll second this comment since I did the exact same thing with the same results. Initially, I didn't install the insulation and there was quite a bit of a very unpleasant noise from the rear of the car during moderate/hard acceleration. Very, very harsh sound and irritating. Really awful.

The silicone tubing completely eliminated the harsh sounds and IMO is absolutely mandatory and should be included.

As for the cables, there is no rubbery play once in gear and is a very nice improvement. It gets the car to as close to an S2000 as it possibly can be - not quite as good but almost there. A HUGE improvement over OEM.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:22 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
I'll second this comment since I did the exact same thing with the same results. Initially, I didn't install the insulation and there was quite a bit of a very unpleasant noise from the rear of the car during moderate/hard acceleration. Very, very harsh sound and irritating. Really awful.

The silicone tubing completely eliminated the harsh sounds and IMO is absolutely mandatory and should be included.

As for the cables, there is no rubbery play once in gear and is a very nice improvement. It gets the car to as close to an S2000 as it possibly can be - not quite as good but almost there. A HUGE improvement over OEM.
I am curious to the sound you are referring to, I DID NOT use silicon, and the only extra noise I get is gear whine, which kinda sounds like a supercharger. I LOVE IT, it sounds race car. Other than that it's similar if not equal to stock.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am curious to the sound you are referring to, I DID NOT use silicon, and the only extra noise I get is gear whine, which kinda sounds like a supercharger. I LOVE IT, it sounds race car. Other than that it's similar if not equal to stock.
My sound (maybe) wasn't gear whine - more like a rattle/whine that was inconsistent during acceleration, which is what made especially irritating. I would've recorded it if I had thought about it but my main concern was removing the bottom tray and getting the tubing on ASAP.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:03 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
My sound (maybe) wasn't gear whine - more like a rattle/whine that was inconsistent during acceleration, which is what made especially irritating. I would've recorded it if I had thought about it but my main concern was removing the bottom tray and getting the tubing on ASAP.

Ahhh got it, maybe there was just a little slack in your install causing things to rattle around. So it makes sense that foam or silicone resolves that.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter and Cable Review for 991.2