New to me! Carrara White 991.2 Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:17 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaBoy911
So fun!

What are the differences between Cobb/APR and Softronic tunes? I am a newbie. Any risk to damaging the car (I have tuned my previous BMWs with no issues).
COBB was one of the first to come out with a tune and of course, it comes with their Access Port device which can datalog. Their early maps were aggressive, but have since been detuned. With Cobb installed, you can get a custom tune from one of their Pro Tuners such as M-Engineering. APR likely has the highest performance off-the-shelf tune, but it is a one size fits all tune (with specific tunes for specific fuel octanes, but not necessarily optimized for bolt-on mods) with a specific drivability built in. That said, people with bolt-ons and the APR tune, its still likely the highest performance OTS tune. You have to get flashed at an APR dealer. COBB and APR provide performance data on their tunes along with their customers actually taking their cars to a dyno. The other options have not provided data that I am aware of and their customers have not dyno'd their cars before/after at this time, that I know of. APR is working on a flash-at-home solution, but it'll be a while.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:37 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

this forum is raining folks with GTS's...love it. Congrats!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:48 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice car, and if it were me and I was going to use the car in the winter in New England, I would go back to stock height. As far as tunes, and this comes from a lot of experience (and having to buy new ECU's), I advise never going with a tune that you do not have the stock tune stored and can return it to the car yourself. I have used smart tops in other cars (I didn't buy my Targa for the same purpose as most owners and have taken the top down twice since I bought it), and they work well, I am also unusually sensitive to drive by wire throttle delay and have controllers on almost all of my cars. To me they make a huge difference, but not everyone even notices (some of you have probably never driven a car that does not have it) things like that. I use Alpin P4's in winter on my 911's and they work very well. Good luck, stay safe and enjoy.

Quick Reply: New to me! Carrara White 991.2 Targa 4 GTS