Sponsored by:

ABS / PSM fault during autocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020 | 08:15 PM
Silverion77
5th Gear

Default ABS / PSM fault during autocross

Hey all,

For the past couple track and autocross events this season, I've been trying to chase down a ABS / PSM fault that shows up pretty much exclusively to when the car is tracked.
After a couple heats, my ABS & PSM fault warning lights pop on. Car is fine except the warning lights and it won't let me put the car into any sport modes. They self clear with time, or after a couple restarts. This past time, it happened after my heats heading to paddock and parking. Left the car untouched til a mechanic looked at it with his Durametric (and without me looking thinking it may dirty the ECU).

He pulled:
U0418 - Software incompatibility w/ brake system control module
U0318 - CAN fault, Brakes

Not sure where to go from here other than to bring it to a dealer. Mostly concerned that since you can't make the car trip until its on a track that I have no real way to tell if the work they do actually fixes the problem and they have no way to really verify.
Leading up to this, I replaced the battery with a fresh AGM and we also swapped a wheel speed sensor that we thought was problematic. There was a host of other errors leading up to this, but just showing the most recent info we have.

Any advise would be helpful!
Old 11-13-2020 | 12:09 AM
polobai
Drifting

My guess is dirty wheel speed sensors that get a bit dirtier from heavy braking at the track. Try pulling them out and inspecting/cleaning. Same thing happened to my Mercedes glk truck after driving through really heavy rain for a few hours. Worth a shot.
Old 11-13-2020 | 01:18 AM
usccharles
Pro

same here. PSM fault only on the track during heavy left/right cornering. the dealer could not replicate it and it took me nearly 2 years of back and for with Porsche service. I finally filmed my car on a Go Pro showing them the fault coming on during track driving and that finally got them to replace the PSM module. now its fine.
Old 11-13-2020 | 09:48 AM
Silverion77
5th Gear

Originally Posted by polobai
My guess is dirty wheel speed sensors that get a bit dirtier from heavy braking at the track. Try pulling them out and inspecting/cleaning. Same thing happened to my Mercedes glk truck after driving through really heavy rain for a few hours. Worth a shot.
Yea, we're planning to get the car up for some small work and oil. While its there, we can certainly get the wheels off and check those sensors.

Originally Posted by usccharles
same here. PSM fault only on the track during heavy left/right cornering. the dealer could not replicate it and it took me nearly 2 years of back and for with Porsche service. I finally filmed my car on a Go Pro showing them the fault coming on during track driving and that finally got them to replace the PSM module. now its fine.
This is definitely something I worry about, especially given the new software/CAN bus complaints. I can only imagine how much that will set me back before I cross my fingers and pray that it resolves the issue.

Quick Reply: ABS / PSM fault during autocross