Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Water temp skyrocketing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

For those that had coolant leak into the control block, did you also notice a tiny draping leak underneath the car? Again, I see only one tiny wet spot right underneath the pump and can see calcified hints of coolant on the metal bar that goes across the rear bottom of the car, right below the water pump pulley.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:31 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
For those that had coolant leak into the control block, did you also notice a tiny draping leak underneath the car? Again, I see only one tiny wet spot right underneath the pump and can see calcified hints of coolant on the metal bar that goes across the rear bottom of the car, right below the water pump pulley.
Thats a sign that your water pump is bad/ leaking. Read through the "Did you (h)wave the water pump replaced" thread. Lots of pics of failing water pumps in there. When the water pump starts leaking, supposedly it does allow coolant into the vacuum lines. Seems like your exhaust work was just an unfortunate timing coincidence. When mine failed, I never had coolant puddles on the garage floor. I did smell the occasional sweet smell of coolant burning off my exhaust and did have dried coolant stains on and in the area of the pump.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

See my earlier post. My 2016 991.2S had water pump replaced in Feb under warranty. Overheated again in Sept, they said must have been air in the vacuum lines. This week it shot up again. Replacing the water pump a second time now but still not 100% sure why the sporadic occasional overheating.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Outside of the Lemon law, has anyone been able to convince PCNA to buy back under warranty under these types of circumstances?
Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Peter80
Instructor

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Outside of the Lemon law, has anyone been able to convince PCNA to buy back under warranty under these types of circumstances?
Main issue I think is that all 991.2's from 2016 to 2018, before they modified the dodgy water pump, should have been subject to recall. I wonder how many people have had the water pump go just after the warranty expired.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:45 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

On the first post of this thread I immediately suspected the water pump, it was just coincidence it coincided with the exhaust work. Water pumps have bearing failures and can be intermittent when they begin to go. It usually shows as a small drop(s) of coolant and the beginning of an overheat issue. Then they get worse over time as bearings do until they fully fail. Shutting off the vehicle lets the bearing cool off and when it engines is run again, the bearing may run true the next time. This is the case with most all water pumps - not Porsche specific. Just replace it now, makes sure the coolant lines are purged of air (long run to the front radiators) and you should probably be good to go.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
On the first post of this thread I immediately suspected the water pump, it was just coincidence it coincided with the exhaust work. Water pumps have bearing failures and can be intermittent when they begin to go. It usually shows as a small drop(s) of coolant and the beginning of an overheat issue. Then they get worse over time as bearings do until they fully fail. Shutting off the vehicle lets the bearing cool off and when it engines is run again, the bearing may run true the next time. This is the case with most all water pumps - not Porsche specific. Just replace it now, makes sure the coolant lines are purged of air (long run to the front radiators) and you should probably be good to go.
The quick overheat issue isn't due to the water pump directly, it is due to coolant leaking into the vacuum lines and not letting the coolant shut off valve, and water pump switching valve perform their functions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh(PA):
Gus_Smedstad (11-14-2020), Peter80 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 11:53 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
Only issue is that mine's never leaked or been gradual. Just all of a sudden as if total cut off to coolant circulating, it rockets up in a few seconds. Then after cooling down it's fine again, until the next time. I'm no mechanic but it's got be some sort of valve sticking.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
The quick overheat issue isn't due to the water pump directly, it is due to coolant leaking into the vacuum lines and not letting the coolant shut off valve, and water pump switching valve perform their functions.
so it's an internal leak as well? I definitely have an external one as evident by the pink spots I see at the bottom. Going to make sure that my SA also replaces any affected COV from this leak. Now to find the tech bulletin so that I can take that with me and the new procedure that when the water pump gets replaced, the COV's have to be replaced as well.
The following users liked this post:
Peter80 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

so it's an internal leak as well? I definitely have an external one as evident by the pink spots I see at the bottom. Going to make sure that my SA also replaces any affected COV from this leak. Now to find the tech bulletin so that I can take that with me and the new procedure that when the water pump gets replaced, the COV's have to be replaced as well.
That's the way the dealership explained it to me. When the water pump leaks, coolant finds its way into the vacuum lines. According to the dealership, Porsche just recently updated the work order for .2 water pump replacements to also replace the vacuum lines and valve block. You should check with your dealer to be sure they aer following that practice.

barncobob posted in the water pump thread that this is what he had replaced. I'll get mine back tomorrow and update as well.

according to the invoice....heres what they replaced....valve block,coolant pump, vacuum pump,control line and bolts, gaskets,etc...vacuum line to coolant pump

invoice says paraphrased..coolant has escaped,entered vacuum line for thermostat,,also removed/replaced brake booster vacuum pump due to coolant intrusion...

service guy said it was $3500 all under warranty in last week of warranty:}

has been perfect since, runs at 194
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Perhaps Porsche is leaning towards the highly vaunted Ford Pinto rationale.
Unless there is a proven risk to life and limb or the car catches fire, they will NOT replace these known failing water pumps, or launch a voluntary recall.
Rationale being if your engine overheats and cracks after the warranty expires, you saw the warning to pull over..

You can also forget the Lemon Law, as it only applies if they can't repair your car after xx number of attempts, and it's been in for repairs for xx number of days.

I'm not sure how the popular belief can be that Porsche stands behind its products, especially when the issue is based on the premature component failure.
And the so-called cases of goodwill are too few and far between.
Peter80 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 01:38 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

So for those of us who had just the water pump replaced (version C), are we OK if the temp seems normal?
Peter80 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:17 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter80
Main issue I think is that all 991.2's from 2016 to 2018, before they modified the dodgy water pump, should have been subject to recall. I wonder how many people have had the water pump go just after the warranty expired.
Any specifics as to what modification was done to water pumps starting on ‘19 models? Anyone with a ‘19 had a pump fail?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Any specifics as to what modification was done to water pumps starting on ‘19 models? Anyone with a ‘19 had a pump fail?
Theres an entire thread with polling on the 1st or 2nd page. Check it out. It does show some 2019’s were/are affected.

It may be more time/mileage dependent then any updates to the components. Need to perform a more advanced statistic (conditional probability, bayesian, etc.) to get a better idea though.

Last edited by Purekoryo; 11-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Theres an entire thread with polling on the 1st or 2nd page. Check it out. It does show some 2019’s were/are affected.

It may be more time/mileage dependent then any updates to the components. Need to perform a more advanced statistic (conditional probability, bayesian, etc.) to get a better idea though.
I see it now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Help! Water temp skyrocketing!