Sponsored by:

Manual Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020 | 09:08 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Ox
Did you use a 1.5mm or 2MM ?
Indy shop or dealer, and how long did it take, $ charge, etc. ?
Thanks.
I did the 2mm that was recommended to my by John at Soul (he was able to get me everything I needed). It gives a great detent for the shifter and very easy to shift.
I had an Indy shop install. It is quite time consuming and not something that I was willing to take on. It's a buddy's shop and the tech I know personally, so everything is done to the Nth degree of precision. I can't say $ because I don't think it would be comparable to many other shops. He did spend about 5 hours total doing the install.

I can tell you this (as another positive review for this product) - Chris, the tech, said he was pretty shocked at the price of the shifter and cables. A little over $1K is pretty steep for a shifter. Then he drove my car before and after and he TOTALLY understands the cost now. He was blown away how much better the Numeric shifter and cables were than stock. Stock felt meh, lose, vague not very good at all (his exact words). The Numeric is just on another level and he said it's very much so worth it.

I will start another review thread specifically for the Numeric shifter and cables.
Old 11-12-2020 | 11:36 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
I did the 2mm that was recommended to my by John at Soul (he was able to get me everything I needed). It gives a great detent for the shifter and very easy to shift.
I had an Indy shop install. It is quite time consuming and not something that I was willing to take on. It's a buddy's shop and the tech I know personally, so everything is done to the Nth degree of precision. I can't say $ because I don't think it would be comparable to many other shops. He did spend about 5 hours total doing the install.

I can tell you this (as another positive review for this product) - Chris, the tech, said he was pretty shocked at the price of the shifter and cables. A little over $1K is pretty steep for a shifter. Then he drove my car before and after and he TOTALLY understands the cost now. He was blown away how much better the Numeric shifter and cables were than stock. Stock felt meh, lose, vague not very good at all (his exact words). The Numeric is just on another level and he said it's very much so worth it.

I will start another review thread specifically for the Numeric shifter and cables.
Good info, thank you. I watched Numeric YouTube install video, said it took them a little over 4 hours so 5 is what I was expecting. Labor rates do vary, I was more interested in the time so I know what to expect. I was leaning towards the 2mm, didn't want it to be too aggressive, sounds like it isn't. I already have a Porsche Short Shift Kit, still leaning towards a total Numeric replacement.
Looking forward to your review thread.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2020 | 02:52 PM
acwild70
Rennlist Member

Any Black Friday coupon codes for Numeric

Jay
Old 11-29-2020 | 07:22 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
Has anyone done this install themselves on the Numeric Racing Shifter on a 991? What's involved doing the cables? All done from the interior or does the car have to be lifted and go in from underneath? I'm considering a buy on this kit myself, but won't have someone install it.
Numeric recently posted an install video. It isn't extremely difficult but requires a bit of knowledge getting the interior parts off and a slight mod to a bracket back near/on the trans, but totally DIYable. You have to get under the car for the cable part. I am chomping at the bit to get this shifter, I might ask for it as an xmas present.
If you want some capable hands to assist with the install, I am local and would enjoy helping just to see how this goes.
Old 11-09-2022 | 11:12 AM
ShahulX
Intermediate

was this fixed? Im still having issues with mine when the car/trans get hot after driving about 30 minutes or so (if driving hard on backroads, starts getting hard to engage gears and tough to get into 1st at a traffic light)... had the clutch replaced, trans flushed and added the numeric shifter w/cables... the shifter feels great. That whole service was NOT cheap... but now again having the same issues when the trans gets hot after awhile... thoughts?

background have a 2013 C4s, has 8k miles and under CPO w/additional Porsche warranty. 1st owner must have garage queened the car , when I got it it had 6k... I put only 2k though in the last 6 months, had this issue after 1st track day..2nd it was raining so didnt do it... 3rd track day and some backroad runs and its still happening (not a garage queen). Maybe bushings dry? I assumed they checked slave/master when doing the clutch replacement
Old 11-09-2022 | 12:01 PM
polobai
Drifting

If it’s under cpo I would take it in. Could also be trans fluid now that the car is approaching 10 years old but not likely.
The following users liked this post:
ShahulX (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 12:52 PM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polobai
If it’s under cpo I would take it in. Could also be trans fluid now that the car is approaching 10 years old but not likely.
Yea its going next week.. I did a trans flush, 2 months ago... I want them to just replace everything, but I don't know. Its very frustrating to be driving a backroad or track quickly and then get to a turn and all of a sudden cannot downshiift
polobai (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 01:55 PM
JimEb
Racer

Originally Posted by ShahulX
was this fixed? Im still having issues with mine when the car/trans get hot after driving about 30 minutes or so (if …..... but now again having the same issues when the trans gets hot after awhile... thoughts?
You assuming your transmission is hot based on amount of driving or are you getting some temp message on the dash? Is transmission overheating? These transmissions are cooled and coolant flow is controlled via a vacuum piloted change over valve. Same one used in other places on the car that have been known to fail.
ShahulX (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022 | 03:55 PM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimEb
You assuming your transmission is hot based on amount of driving or are you getting some temp message on the dash? Is transmission overheating? These transmissions are cooled and coolant flow is controlled via a vacuum piloted change over valve. Same one used in other places on the car that have been known to fail.
Dont think the trans is really overheating, no warning lights or anything.. I cant think (or don't know honestly) why it would only have shifting issues after driving hard (or hard-ish) after 30 minutes or two-three laps around a roadcourse?

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting Problem