Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on decision for my .1GTS - DSC or COBB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Wizo
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Help on decision for my .1GTS - DSC or COBB?

Guys - Getting a little itchy on something to do for my 991.1. I haven’t really touched it for the past few months as I have been enjoying driving it. But as always, I seem to drool over wheels and mods for my car all the time.

Currently its got a healthy list I have already added which looks and performs well: Soul headers, Cats and exhaust. Rear diffuser, front chin and canards GT3ish, zunsport grills, new brakes, tires and some interior upgrades.

But I am going back and for on either doing the DSC V3 (with the GT3 Tour File) or Cobb with upgrade tuning for the mods that I have. Not sure which would have the most bang for the buck. I don’t plan at least for now tracking the car. Just a bunch of spirited drives.

I have had to replace the windshield from rock chips, replace the brakes and tires, repaint the front bumper and the top areas of the car since the previous owner did likely track it. Will be replacing the front headlights soon as well as they look like they would need a refresh - car has 17,000 miles.

But can you help me make up my decision on the Cobb or the DSC?

Old 10-28-2020, 02:19 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Have DSC V3 with the GT3 Touring file and I appreciate all it does quite a lot. My car went from less compliant than our base 992 to more compliant, all in 10 minutes of work. The file is great for normal and aggressive driving as the car just feels more in control and more able to handle any road irregularities. Just makes for a much nicer ride. My car already has the X51 performance package so power isn’t something I need more of. For a 991 it’s pretty visceral.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:47 PM
jskenefick
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this as well. Also a .1 GTS owner. The main complaint I have is the way the PDK shifts in regular and Sport mode. It upshifts way too soon, I am sure for economy sake. I understand that a Cobb tune can address this.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:48 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 294 Posts

For the 991.1 I would go with the DSC controller first. More bang for your buck there. The tune will help for sure but its not as noticeable as on the .2. You will love the DSC. Get it!!!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:48 PM
SF Neunelfer
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 34 Posts

DSC, suspension tuning will benefit you more than power gain. Then when your driving skills surpass the GTS power performance, then do the COBB upgrade.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:23 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

I'd like to add some color as I have tried a few tunes and have on the FVD for the ECU and DSC [GT3T] tunes. The DSC is pretty amazing and there is accord with regards to what it does so let me address the tune a little more for the NA cars. The NA cars benefit a lot from a tune but very differently than a 3.0tt car. For a tune on the NA cars, the top line number increase is like 15-20hp by itself, and that's being generous. The reason it makes such a big difference is the low/mid improvement and especially where you feel a dead spot around 4K rpm when the car comes on cam. A good tune will pretty much flatten this out and it is very noticeable.

With that being said, there is really only one logical answer to this: BOTH.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:37 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jskenefick
I'd like to hear some thoughts about this as well. Also a .1 GTS owner. The main complaint I have is the way the PDK shifts in regular and Sport mode. It upshifts way too soon, I am sure for economy sake. I understand that a Cobb tune can address this.
FVD offers a tunable PDK controller upgrade to any parameter you want. Faster shifting, different shift points, faster paddle response time, deactivation of kick down, different clutch pressure to eliminate slip...and a lot more. $1500.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Wizo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
FVD offers a tunable PDK controller upgrade to any parameter you want. Faster shifting, different shift points, faster paddle response time, deactivation of kick down, different clutch pressure to eliminate slip...and a lot more. $1500.

wow - this sounds money and I will look into it. I wish I could swing both and maybe I can but it’s also fun to do things in stages. I want to have my Porsche feel like a GT3 (speed and corner demon) in some aspects but love my functionality as I use it with the family some times such as last weekend.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 AM
Wizo
Rennlist Member

I contacted FVD and they were almost $4,550 for tune, pdk and controller - way too much!!

probably go Cobb and maybe dsc at the same time!

if I was to choose it seems like dsc is best accordingly to the responses.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 AM
s4one
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my DSC on my 991.2 CS, it makes a huge difference. I think the price is decent and you can install it yourself which is an easy mod. You can install in less than 10min and feel a real difference. I plan to do camber plates and set up my car with a more aggressive alignment but that will take more time.

Quick Reply: Help on decision for my .1GTS - DSC or COBB?