Angry 911 Owners Sue Porsche Over Defeat Devices

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020 | 08:21 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default PM me

For info

Originally Posted by rnl
I spoke with the plaintiffs' attorney the other day. Seems reasonable...I may enter as a named plaintiff.
Old 10-23-2020 | 10:24 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
For info
Let's see.

There's a company that makes a product I love, and they make it really well.

I know, lets sue them over mpg, something that's clearly not our highest priority, and also something they've already addressed overall with the availability of electric cars, for those who do actually care about it.

Last edited by Porschejam; 10-23-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2020 | 01:57 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default actually

They do make a great product but they do not act right after to remedy mistakes. Things that come to mind, door panels, failing transmissions and on a previous version they neglected to include or fix head gaskets. If VW group takes a hit I am not going to lose any sleep. If it causes manufacturers to act right well great.

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Let's see.

There's a company that makes a product I love, and they make it really well.

I know, lets sue them over mpg, something that's clearly not our highest priority, and also something they've already addressed overall with the availability of electric cars, for those who do actually care about it.

The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (10-28-2020)
Old 10-24-2020 | 02:39 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
They do make a great product but they do not act right after to remedy mistakes. Things that come to mind, door panels, failing transmissions and on a previous version they neglected to include or fix head gaskets. If VW group takes a hit I am not going to lose any sleep. If it causes manufacturers to act right well great.

I have no problem holding them responsible for their product.

Suing them over the mpg of a used 911? That's biting the hand of one of the few manufacturers I actually like at the time when they're doing their level best to eliminate gasoline engines.

Porsche isn't perfect, but I like them better than I like the lawsuit lottery lawyers.
Old 10-24-2020 | 03:27 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Ok. Let's all agree on this. If we don't want to change the product, then - when we get the email/mail about the class action lawsuit, let's all who disagree opt out of the lawsuit. If nobody joins the class action lawsuit, then there is none
Old 10-24-2020 | 04:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

CA (and a number of other states and countries) missed a real opportunity that I believe would have been better for all involved 20-25 years ago. We ran an article in Excellence on the folly of smogging an early 911S back then, when you still had to smog cars that old. The car in question wouldn't pass the test even when its engine was rebuilt, its MFI was rebuilt, and everything was perfectly tuned. By then referred to a referee, the owner eventually got it to pass the test by raising the car's rear ride height and having a set of Ford F-150 tires (or similar) mounted on the 15-inch Fuchs—thus lowering the engine's rpm at a given speed. Yep. Totally ridiculous. But it worked. I don't remember now, but I think even the referee laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation—but the letter of the law had been satisfied.

In that article was a sidebar on a clever device that could have been further developed and employed on freeway onramps that would measure cars in real time and snap a photo if they exceeded a (gross) limit. No doubt, it could have been improved over time. Gross or heavy polluters would get a note in the mail that says fix your car and bring it in for a test. Everyone else would no longer have to drive to smog tests (fuel + emissions + time lost + an opportunity for a shakedown x millions of car owners/operators). It would have eliminated perhaps the dumbest thing of all with CA smog testing: It's at least as important for a powertrain to "look original" as it is for it to blow clean. Had they gone this way, "defeat devices" would have never worked because cars and trucks would have been measured in the real world from the 1990s forward. And think of all the round trips to smog stations that would have been saved...
Old 10-24-2020 | 05:56 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Just do the obvious.

Raise the taxes on gasoline.

For me a person who drives a Porsche 5,000 miles a year isn't doing more harm to the environment than a person who drives an efficient SUV 15,000 a year.

Last edited by Porschejam; 10-24-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2020 | 01:27 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Just do the obvious.

Raise the taxes on gasoline.

For me a person who drives a Porsche 5,000 miles a year isn't doing more harm to the environment than a person who drives an efficient SUV 15,000 a year.
So true...
Old 10-25-2020 | 01:29 PM
Levy
Racer

no need to fix anything. seriously.
world seems to have too many angry and aggrieved people looking to cash in on "being wronged. some are justified in seeking resolution/retribution. many are not . this case falls into the latter imho
Old 10-26-2020 | 11:10 AM
marcnyc
Instructor

So if this lawsuit goes forward and we don't agree / are not interested - could our car be still be impacted by a recall because of this?
Old 10-26-2020 | 07:55 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marcnyc
So if this lawsuit goes forward and we don't agree / are not interested - could our car be still be impacted by a recall because of this?
No recall unless government is involved. Right now it does not look like it. Also, you can opt out of the lawsuit.
Old 10-26-2020 | 11:42 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DHL
The odometer may be accurate, but the fuel flow sensors that measure gas consumption are not. You need both to compute mileage. 5 to 10% deviation is probably not out of the standard manufacturing tolerances for the flow sensors.
There are no fuel flow sensors. The engine management computer calculates the amount of fuel that is injected into each cylinder for every cycle. those individual injector pulses are totalized in the computer to generate the amount of fuel used. theoretically, it should be an accurate number, but the amount of fuel injected by the injector is never exactly what the computer asked for and over time and thousands of cycles those errors can add up.
Old 10-26-2020 | 11:46 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Southbranch
Yes they can and do. In addition to federal law, most states have laws that prohibit any person from tampering or modifying a vehicle's emissions control system, and every state has laws that specify minimum equipment for street-legal vehicles, e.g., headlights, wipers, a muffler, brakes, etc. A number of states or cities require that street-driven vehicles be inspected and/or tested regularly for compliance with these requirements.

Even so, it seems unlikely that Porsche would have to recall any vehicles for corrective modifications. More likely, they would just have to pay some hefty fines, promise not to do it again, and maybe agree to build vehicles in the future that overcomply.
I disagree. If the vehicles are out of compliance the government will force Porsche to fix the problem. The fines will be on top of that.

Also, while it's impossible to force an owner to bring a car in for modifications, the updates might be done if you bring your car to the dealer for any other service. The state probably won't notice unless the car fails the emissions check, but that is so primitive that the cars would have to be far out of compliance to trigger a failure.
Old 10-26-2020 | 11:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stout
CA (and a number of other states and countries) missed a real opportunity that I believe would have been better for all involved 20-25 years ago. We ran an article in Excellence on the folly of smogging an early 911S back then, when you still had to smog cars that old. The car in question wouldn't pass the test even when its engine was rebuilt, its MFI was rebuilt, and everything was perfectly tuned. By then referred to a referee, the owner eventually got it to pass the test by raising the car's rear ride height and having a set of Ford F-150 tires (or similar) mounted on the 15-inch Fuchs—thus lowering the engine's rpm at a given speed. Yep. Totally ridiculous. But it worked. I don't remember now, but I think even the referee laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation—but the letter of the law had been satisfied.

In that article was a sidebar on a clever device that could have been further developed and employed on freeway onramps that would measure cars in real time and snap a photo if they exceeded a (gross) limit. No doubt, it could have been improved over time. Gross or heavy polluters would get a note in the mail that says fix your car and bring it in for a test. Everyone else would no longer have to drive to smog tests (fuel + emissions + time lost + an opportunity for a shakedown x millions of car owners/operators). It would have eliminated perhaps the dumbest thing of all with CA smog testing: It's at least as important for a powertrain to "look original" as it is for it to blow clean. Had they gone this way, "defeat devices" would have never worked because cars and trucks would have been measured in the real world from the 1990s forward. And think of all the round trips to smog stations that would have been saved...
You're talking about the drive-by emissions testing rigs developed by Donald Stedman at the University of Colorado. It 's a great idea and is in use here in Colorado, though we still have some drive-in emissions tests as well. However, both the drive-by and drive-in state emissions tests are very crude and approximate measures compared with the tests used to measure emissions compliance for the EPA. It's a bit like measuring engine bearings with a tape measure rather than a micrometer. So neither method is likely to measure defeat devices that reduce emissions compliance by a modest degree. The various state tests are good at finding a misfiring spark plug, or completely clogged catalysts, but not much that is more subtle than that.

Also, in this discussion it's worth pointing out that smog emissions--unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and oxides of nitrogen--are unrelated to fuel economy. Then there are the carbon dioxide emissions--linked to global warming, that are directly related to fuel economy. The two are pretty much unrelated, and in many cases, the design measures that reduce smog emissions increase carbon dioxide emissions, and vice versa. In fact, in the case of dieselgate, the "defeat device" increased smog emissions while improved fuel economy, which reduced carbon dioxide emissions. Of course the lamestream media almost always conflates the two types of emissions because the typical reporter at the New York Times and the like knows as much about automobiles as a senile dog.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020 | 01:48 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Such a douche. There is a soul sickness in humans where we want to take take take. Self-centered and selfish. Plenty of people buy cars and don't like the MPG and they simply sell them. A-hole.

If you guys want to see some great stories go to Netflix and watch a series called Dirty Money. For cars nuts, there are two home runs: "Hard Nox" about Volkswagon Dieselgate and "Payday" about racecar driver Scott Tucker, who is now in prison after getting a 16-year sentence.. The Scott Tucker one is so interesting I've watched it more than once.. To look inside his head and see how he thinks he did nothing wrong. His one brother committed suicide from the law coming down, and his other brother is also going to prison on a related charge.

Quick Reply: Angry 911 Owners Sue Porsche Over Defeat Devices