Sponsored by:

Guidance Needed re CPO 991.2 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM
WonderBuck
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Guidance Needed re CPO 991.2 Purchase

I am shopping for a 991.2 C4S Cabriolet, preferably silver and preferably CPO. I am considering two candidates, both of which are a long distance away from my home.

Car A has about 18K miles and is listed for just under $100K. It has no reported issues on CarFax. It lacks the sport chrono package which I would like but do not require. I had it independently inspected, revealing several deep scratches on the hood and one fender, a small dent on the driver's side door, extensive scratching to the underside of the bumper, a nail in one tire, and a leaking water pan. The dealer has agreed to repair all of those issues and to include those repairs in the original price.

Car B has about 37K miles and is listed for just over $100K. It does have the sport chrono package. It has no reported issues on Carfax, however, I found the auction listing where the dealer obtained the car (for about $82K) and the auction site indicates that the car was in a rear-end accident in 2017 which required body work and replacement of suspension components costing around $12K. The auction site also has dozens of pictures and the car looks squeaky clean. I have tentative plans for an independent inspection in a few days.

I've never owned a Porsche before, so I'd like to get some opinions on whether either of these cars would be a good buy and whether one would be a better buy than the other. I can post links to the cars if that would be helpful (and if it's not against forum rules). Thanks in advance for your help.

Buck

Last edited by WonderBuck; 10-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:07 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Not trying to be "cute"; but what about choice C? Something closer to home, no real issues/repairs/faults? Are you in love with either of these 2? Is time an issue? If not, cast a wider net, and when the eright one is in there, you'll know it and you'll bring it home! Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by SFZ GT3:
HkPlinker (10-08-2020), manifold danger (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:12 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 945 Posts

first and foremost, at that price point NEVER accept a car with accident history. Regardless of how much you love this new addition, it will one day be for sale by you. and having accident history is a no go for many people.

As for CPO.. take it with a grain of salt. If you are unable to fly, inspect, fly back and have the car transported then you are risking a lot. Dealers are extremely shady and I learned this the hard way via Fremont Porsch earlier this year on a CPO 991.1

They will hide as much as they can and you cant trust them at ALL.. so may be $100K is not a ton of money for you.. but if it is.. and you value your investment in this glorified toy.. do what you can to make sure the dealer keeps his word. Once the deal is done and that car leaves that lot, you are dead to them.. (exaggerating but you know what I mean)..
my 2 cents
The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
Freddie Two Bs (10-10-2020), George from MD (10-10-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:14 PM
WonderBuck
Track Day

Thanks, Steve. If neither of these cars would be a particularly good buy then that's what I want to hear, certainly. I'm not set on either of these two cars and time isn't an issue as I live in the upper Midwest and I intend to garage the Porsche through the winter in favor of my RS7 (when the roads are clear) and F150 (when there's snow on the ground). - Buck
Old 10-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Not trying to be "cute"; but what about choice C? Something closer to home, no real issues/repairs/faults? Are you in love with either of these 2? Is time an issue? If not, cast a wider net, and when the eright one is in there, you'll know it and you'll bring it home! Good luck!
I second this. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. That’s part of the fun. Also, a cab headed into winter - you may be able to score a deal. Take your time and continue to search if not in a rush. Convertibles don’t typically sell well in winter. At that price point, I’d have some concerns with the examples you’ve presented. Just my $0.02. Best of luck all the same!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Talk about **** and sh!ttier.

Between the 2, choose **** (or Car A).
Old 10-08-2020, 09:22 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by WonderBuck
Thanks, Steve. If neither of these cars would be a particularly good buy then that's what I want to hear, certainly. I'm not set on either of these two cars and time isn't an issue as I live in the upper Midwest and I intend to garage the Porsche through the winter in favor of my RS7 (when the roads are clear) and F150 (when there's snow on the ground). - Buck
Well thought out WonderBuck. Start your search here, the major trading sites, and various dealer sites. Post a WTB ad in the classified. The last 3 Porsches I bought came to me as a result of posts that I read and responded to on this forum, PM's to people looking at but not choosing that car, and people reaching out to me based on my comments. This thread itself could easily yield just what you are looking for.

And, as was said above, don't "settle". The right car is out there and you will find it!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:30 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Be patient. I almost bought four "perfect" cars that were not the perfect car for me. I kept on the Porsche NA Pre-owned CPO web site and found the right car with all options I wanted as well as others I never thought I wanted.

I love it!

Be patient, there are thousands of cars out there for you
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (10-10-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:32 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/...briolet-212519
Old 10-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Glad to hear you are looking for a .2, or is that "still" looking?!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:00 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Your PP inspections are paying off very well

I tip my imaginary hat to you 🎩

Keep looking, maybe one will pop up for sale on here, or someone here will suggest one

Glwys
Old 10-08-2020, 10:07 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

no on accident damage car
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

First, excellent color choice!

Like others said, there are more candidates out there. Car B sounds like bad news, and over-priced. Car A is not so bad, with superficial problems--as long as you don't care as much about original paint as some hard core Porsche owners.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:36 PM
WonderBuck
Track Day

Thanks for all of your replies. There seems to be a consensus that I should pass on both cars. I've notified both the dealer and potential inspector of Car B that I'm passing. I'll probably also pass on Car A, due to the advice I've received here and because I have the impression that it may have been handled carelessly by the prior owner.

My next question is about pricing. These two cars were both listed for about $100K. I see a lot of 991.2 C4S Cabs for sale well above that price point. Do you expect that cars listed for circa $100K will tend to have issues like these? Will I likely need to increase my price ceiling in order to get an issue-free car?
Old 10-09-2020, 12:50 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

How about this one..

https://www.themiamigarage.com/detai...6hs154518.html

Quick Reply: Guidance Needed re CPO 991.2 Purchase