Sponsored by:

991.1 MT Back-Up Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Colvin84
the back-up switch is just two wires, with only one function (off/on). There is a metal rod/button on the backside of the back-up switch that goes into the transmission - this is designed to compress and decompress when the transmission is shifted into and out of Reverse. The piece inside the transmission is apparently defective from ZF. A vehicle is not in reverse that often. No legitimate reason to break other than being defective by design or manufacturing. Maybe Porsche will goodwill more or design a more permanent fix if these continue to merge. In automatics I believe the switch is with the gear selector.

experience suggests that porsche probably won't do anything.

the current workaround is effective but there is still room for improvement, leaving an opportunity for the aftermarket to make some money and build a kit. the higher the failure rate the more likely we'll get a kit.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jfischet
experience suggests that porsche probably won't do anything.

the current workaround is effective but there is still room for improvement, leaving an opportunity for the aftermarket to make some money and build a kit. the higher the failure rate the more likely we'll get a kit.
My car is at the dealer now - hoping Porsche will do the right thing after it’s diagnosed and a goodwill request is made.

This issue - at least as I’m experiencing it - I believe is far more concerning then losing reverse lights. The piece that is falling off is large and poses a severe safety risk. If it moves around, could result in wheel locking up and a catastrophic loss of property and/or life.

I’ve circled the piece that’s no longer present in my car and I assume same issue for others. Photo of bore scope with car in reverse - as you can see - the bracket/piece that engages the back-up switch is not there.

No shavings at all from transmission oil change. No idea how this piece was attached to transmission - but presumably it is at the bottom of my transmission for the time being.

Last edited by Colvin84; 10-12-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:32 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I guess it's time to remove my transmission and send it to California to fish that thing out and get some shorter gearing while they're in there
Old 10-13-2020, 08:38 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Report it

On the nhsa web site. Who knows if it presents a safety issue we may get a fix.

Originally Posted by Colvin84
My car is at the dealer now - hoping Porsche will do the right thing after it’s diagnosed and a goodwill request is made.

This issue - at least as I’m experiencing it - I believe is far more concerning then losing reverse lights. The piece that is falling off is large and poses a severe safety risk. If it moves around, could result in wheel locking up and a catastrophic loss of property and/or life.

I’ve circled the piece that’s no longer present in my car and I assume same issue for others. Photo of bore scope with car in reverse - as you can see - the bracket/piece that engages the back-up switch is not there.

No shavings at all from transmission oil change. No idea how this piece was attached to transmission - but presumably it is at the bottom of my transmission for the time being.

Quick Reply: 991.1 MT Back-Up Switch