Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Stringent Are You Following Porsche Maintenance Schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:39 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
The plugs on a 991.2 are far from easy and the recommended interval is 3 years. I was able to do the plugs on my 997.2 without too much difficulty, however I am still staring at the ones on my 991.2 and wondering if and how I am going to get the Turbos off. I do plan on doing it myself at some point. Maybe the heat cycles of a turbocharge car accelerate the galvanic action of the plugs and the heads. My instinct tells me this recommended interval is too conservative. I am sure it is a very expensive trip to the dealer to have it done.
Some extensions, a wobble adapter, and torx bits. You can do it on the ground with a floor jack even, it's not too bad. At least we're not dropping the exhaust like on a 964...

Sure, it's no Honda Civic or Mazda Miata four minute job, but it's no more difficult than, say, a mid-2000s Subaru Impreza.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you guys know the plug threads are coated right
Ah yes, the impenetrable coating that completely eliminates the possibility of galvanic corrosion. Forgot about that!

The coatings help, yes, which is why you can go as long as you do between changing plugs.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Some extensions, a wobble adapter, and torx bits. You can do it on the ground with a floor jack even, it's not too bad. At least we're not dropping the exhaust like on a 964...
Do the turbos need to come off to access the plugs?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Do the turbos need to come off to access the plugs?
No, you just remove the black U-pipe on the inlet side of the turbo to gain access.
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
911BOSS (09-30-2020), luv2sleep (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 206 Posts

No, you just remove the black U-pipe on the inlet side of the turbo to gain access.
Most excellent. Thank you for that!
Old 09-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Sure, it's no Honda Civic or Mazda Miata four minute job, but it's no more difficult than, say, a mid-2000s Subaru Impreza.

Ah yes, the impenetrable coating that completely eliminates the possibility of galvanic corrosion. Forgot about that!

The coatings help, yes, which is why you can go as long as you do between changing plugs.
I guess porsches are special. I just removed the plugs from my wife's 2011 e90 bmw with 88k miles and the original plugs came out with no problems whatsoever. Not only that, the plugs looked fine and replacing them resulted in no improvement.

This 4 year nonsense is a money grubbing scam. period
Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Thought I would add to this thread. My ‘19 T is due for two year maintenance. A local dealer quoted $1,470! In addition to oil/filter, brake fluid flush and pollen/cabin filter they added wiper blades, w/s washer fluid, fuel cleaner, fuel ethanol treatment, oil conditioner??, cabin air treatment and odor/allergen whatever that is. I plan on oil/filter, brake fluid flush and possibly the two filters done by me if inspection shows it is needed. My T has about 6.5k miles.

Last edited by 737gdog; 10-22-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Thought I would add to this thread. My ‘19 T is due for two year maintenance. A local dealer quoted $1,470! In addition to oil/filter, brake fluid flush and pollen/cabin filter they added wiper blades, w/s washer fluid, fuel cleaner, fuel ethanol treatment, oil conditioner??, cabin air treatment and odor/allergen whatever that is. I plan on oil/filter, brake fluid flush and possibly the two filters done by me if inspection shows it is needed. My T has about 6.5k miles.
talk about packin the repair bill for profit items
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Paid under $1,000 at my local dealer in April for two year service on my Carrera T (minus windshield wipers). Lots of other checks included (main thing that keeps me going in to dealer is having somebody who knows the cars having a good look every so often).
Old 10-22-2020, 02:44 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by supercroc
Paid under $1,000 at my local dealer in April for two year service on my Carrera T (minus windshield wipers). Lots of other checks included (main thing that keeps me going in to dealer is having somebody who knows the cars having a good look every so often).

I understand that. Having said that, there is a German repair shop near me and they have a Porsche master mechanic that has worked on Porsche’s since the ‘70s. Doubt many at the dealership have that kind of experience. I’d like to use the dealer while the car is under warranty but can’t stand being nickle and dimed over frivolous things.

Quick Reply: How Stringent Are You Following Porsche Maintenance Schedule?