Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection before warranty expiration - What to look for? Should I extend warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 457 Posts
Default Inspection before warranty expiration - What to look for? Should I extend warranty?

So my recently purchased 2017 991.2 S has a factory warranty that is about to expire in about 3 months. The vehicle currently has only about 5k miles and was meticulously maintained by owner. He had yearly maintenance inspections including 10k and 20k servicing. Also, prior to delivery, the water pump was replaced under warranty.

I want to take the vehicle to an independent shop to have it thoroughly inspected prior to the warranty running out - this way I can have any discovered issues that would be covered fixed by the dealership under warranty. Given that the vehicle has such low mileage, I don't expect to find much if anything wrong that would be addressed as a warranty repair. I realize that it's not just mileage, but also time that causes certain issues to rear themselves, and this car is already nearly 4 years old.

What should I be vigilant about with regards to the vehicle inspection that might be failing and be covered by warranty? As I mentioned, the water pump was just replaced which I'm aware is a common issue. Anything else like that? Are there certain things that I should be asking the independent mechanic to look carefully/closely for?

My dilemma is that I have the opportunity to extend the factory warranty for 4 more years for about $4k, especially considering the very low existing mileage and anticipated mileage over the next 4 years. I'm not a HUGE gambler but I know my driving habits and style (no tracking or extremely aggressive driving) and I don't expect to put more than 5k miles per year on the car. I figure with my knowledge of the vehicle's prior service history which was impeccably maintained, followed by my own impeccable maintenance, I stand a good chance not to burn through $4k in repairs (outside of routine maintenance).

Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 266 Posts

If you elect to go for an extended warranty, do not pay the crazy Porsche price. Search “Fidelity Warranty” on this site for lots of information. With your low mileage, you’ll pay far less than $4K.

DaveGee
Old 09-15-2020, 02:49 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have found that inspections prior to warranty expiration, although necessary, are largely useless.
They usually only uncover maintenance issues, which may or may not be necessary, and usually you are aware of.
It is nearly impossible for these inspections to forecast an impending catastrophic failure.
Last year my wife's Mini Cooper S was coming off warranty. I took it to both an indy shop and BMW less than 1 week before the warranty expiration.
Neither shop found a single under warranty repair to be made.
Believe it or not, a couple of days later, exactly one day before the warranty was to expire, the timing chain snapped. Better to be lucky than good!
The $3k repair was covered, but still cost me about $650 in "while you're in there" replacement parts.
As far as your consideration of an extended warranty, it all depends on you risk tolerance.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:43 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 916 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
If you elect to go for an extended warranty, do not pay the crazy Porsche price. Search “Fidelity Warranty” on this site for lots of information. With your low mileage, you’ll pay far less than $4K.

DaveGee
I hadn't thought about an aftermarket warranty before since I've always heard/read that they are a hassle with Porsche and hard to file claims with when necessary. Nonetheless, I just called Fidelity and got a quote of around $4500 for a 7y/70k plan which is a bit higher than Porsche's 4 year plan. This is for their top of the line coverage which covers electronics and such. I guess I need to do a little research to find out people's experiences with Porsche claims under a Fidelity plan. The guy on the phone told me that all Porsche dealership service centers accept this warranty plan. Is this correct? If so, it seems like a good deal.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1139...-warranty.html

yes all porsche dealerships honor fidelity claims. check out this thread for contact info for a couple people who can get you a cheaper quote.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

my 17 just went out of warranty but i seem to get a new"used" one every 3-4 years usually w 2 yrs warranty left...

Quick Reply: Inspection before warranty expiration - What to look for? Should I extend warranty?