Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know anything about evap system? (check engine light)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021 | 01:17 AM
enzotcat
Pro

In the meantime, here is the description of the operation of the DM-TL from the 997 model service information.

One

Two

Three

Four
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021 | 09:54 PM
phi399
Intermediate

I installed the APR tune and about a month later got the same code. I would erase and it would finally come back. Started coming back sooner. Removed the tune and got it to come on again. Usually happened under hard acceleration. The dealer replaced the sensor. I drove it home and it came on again. Went back to the dealer and they replaced the tube going from the front to the back of the car which fixed it. They said there are check valves and one must have failed.
The following 2 users liked this post by phi399:
Omega4 (04-19-2021), William Zimmerma (04-30-2022)
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:11 AM
Omega4
Advanced

Originally Posted by phi399
I installed the APR tune and about a month later got the same code. I would erase and it would finally come back. Started coming back sooner. Removed the tune and got it to come on again. Usually happened under hard acceleration. The dealer replaced the sensor. I drove it home and it came on again. Went back to the dealer and they replaced the tube going from the front to the back of the car which fixed it. They said there are check valves and one must have failed.
Good info...anyway to clarify which tube? Was it a fuel line?

thanks!
Old 04-19-2021 | 02:26 AM
3DMetal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Omega4
Good info...anyway to clarify which tube? Was it a fuel line?

thanks!
I have the same issue on our car .
P04F0 is what the scan tool reports . Comes on intermittently. Error lights up as you roll into boost,
takes a few ignition cycles to go away.

It could be related to the check valve lines , it’s the only thing I can find. Part number 9A211009501, it’s superseded by -03 . About 226$

i ordered it , hopefully it resolves the issue

Old 04-19-2021 | 05:04 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Hi

I am not familiar with the APR tune - is that just SW update for the Engine control unit and same engine hardware or is the engine hardware modified (turbo, and parts of EVAP system)?

if there are some hardware changes, my understanding is that if the Venturi pipe (item n7) or any pipe connected to the EVAP system are modified (i.e. the internal shape of the Venturi or pipe are modified), then this will have an influence on the pressure measured by the EVAP pressure sensor (item n5) and will trigger false detection of EVAP codes.
Old 04-19-2021 | 10:04 AM
phi399
Intermediate

It was the check valve lines. I went back and looked at the paperwork.
Omega4 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 10:52 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by 3DMetal
I have the same issue on our car .
P04F0 is what the scan tool reports . Comes on intermittently. Error lights up as you roll into boost,
takes a few ignition cycles to go away.

It could be related to the check valve lines , it’s the only thing I can find. Part number 9A211009501, it’s superseded by -03 . About 226$

i ordered it , hopefully it resolves the issue
Thanks @3DMetal - do you know if that part number is common between the base Carrera/T/S/GTS or if they are different?

Originally Posted by Watson
Hi

I am not familiar with the APR tune - is that just SW update for the Engine control unit and same engine hardware or is the engine hardware modified (turbo, and parts of EVAP system)?

if there are some hardware changes, my understanding is that if the Venturi pipe (item n7) or any pipe connected to the EVAP system are modified (i.e. the internal shape of the Venturi or pipe are modified), then this will have an influence on the pressure measured by the EVAP pressure sensor (item n5) and will trigger false detection of EVAP codes.
The APR tune is just software in most cases *unless* you get their K04.3 GTS turbo upgrade, which changes the stock turbos for the OEM GTS turbos - essentially a 3rd party version of the X51 kit.

Originally Posted by phi399
It was the check valve lines. I went back and looked at the paperwork.
Thank you! I now have 2 avenues to explore - one is that the vacuum tube (not sure which one) was cut by the serpentine belt pulley and replaced. I'll need to check to see if they replaced it with an OEM tube or a 3rd party tube. The 2nd one is the check valve lines. I will have those replaced.
Old 04-19-2021 | 01:49 PM
Omega4
Advanced

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Thanks @3DMetal - do you know if that part number is common between the base Carrera/T/S/GTS or if they are different?

The APR tune is just software in most cases *unless* you get their K04.3 GTS turbo upgrade, which changes the stock turbos for the OEM GTS turbos - essentially a 3rd party version of the X51 kit.

Thank you! I now have 2 avenues to explore - one is that the vacuum tube (not sure which one) was cut by the serpentine belt pulley and replaced. I'll need to check to see if they replaced it with an OEM tube or a 3rd party tube. The 2nd one is the check valve lines. I will have those replaced.
Here’s the one that was cut by serpentine belt on mine. It’s designed to go over the Y pipe, but if accidentally reconnected under the Y Pipe, it’s very easy for it to get buzzed by the belt. Easy mistake if not paying attention...like me...

Old 04-19-2021 | 06:26 PM
polobai
Drifting

The diameter of that line should have no impact as it is just feeding boost to the cov for the blow off valves. As long as the line isn’t leaking or torn/broken, it would be fine. Even if it were blocked completely it should have no impact as the car is still holding boost.
Omega4 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021 | 06:50 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by polobai
The diameter of that line should have no impact as it is just feeding boost to the cov for the blow off valves. As long as the line isn’t leaking or torn/broken, it would be fine. Even if it were blocked completely it should have no impact as the car is still holding boost.
But if the line was cut and then patched with a different type of tubing, as I believe was the case for me at least, it’s possible that there is perhaps some kind of a leak there. Also, my dealer told me that boost affects the evap system, and it is fairly sensitive. Given that this is the one thing that two of us have in common, I’m going to have that tube replaced with a new OEM one to see if the problem goes away. If it doesn’t, next up will be the tube going from the front of the car to the back to see if that resolves it.
Old 04-19-2021 | 08:39 PM
polobai
Drifting

Doesn’t hurt to check it. My money is on the line with the check valve.
enzotcat (04-19-2021)
Old 04-30-2021 | 07:45 PM
mitchellreed
Track Day

Have the same code, dealer took the car apart and found the boost pressure control solenoid vacuum line to be disconnected. Cleared the code, test drove it and returned to me. Gave it a bit of gas same day (3-4k) and light popped up again. It’s going back to them next week. Will report in.
Old 04-30-2021 | 07:59 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Update: vacuum tube replaced. CEL came back on again today. Next up - line with the check valve.
Omega4 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-01-2021 | 11:35 AM
biggreek
Instructor

My 17 GTS is in for the same code (P24D6). They found the pressure sensor at fault. It came on during a normal, non spirited drive, actually. Should be done next week, hopefully in time for my vacation.
/five (09-09-2023)
Old 05-05-2021 | 01:00 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Anyone got the schematics for the check valve lines and the line that runs from the front to the back of the car? @phi399 - can you check your service record and fill us in on the part number(s) if any were supplied?

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about evap system? (check engine light)