Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020 | 02:37 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Default Ventilated seats

Can you add seat ventilation to a 991 seat after the fact?

I live in Florida, so seat ventilation is reasonably important, but I sure hate making that the difference between buying or not buying a car that has all the other features I like.

Anybody have some experience in this area? Can you add seat ventilation to certain kinds of seats?
Old 09-06-2020 | 02:42 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

It would be quite difficult. You're going to have to source the seats, then wire it in, get a new button panel for the center console to allow for it and then code it into the car. It would not be worth it when you can buy a car right away with cooled seats. Are you concerned about getting sweaty when you're in the car sitting, or the hot seat when you get into a car after it's been in the sun. If mostly the latter, then get a high quality ceramic tint on all windows including the windshield and that should make a decent difference. Or get a lighted colored interior. If it's sweat when sitting, then definitely get cooled seats.
Old 09-06-2020 | 02:48 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

My back gets soaking wet on long drives. Gets rather unbearable. I don't know why I have that problem, but it is what it is.

I suppose I'll hold out for ventilated seats. Pity.
Old 09-06-2020 | 02:55 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

It can be costly, but it can be done. You wouldn’t need new seats per se, but would need the vent motors, correct padding, the console switch, and likely a wiring harness from that switch to the seat. The parts are order-able via GetPorscheParts.com.
Old 09-06-2020 | 03:09 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I'm in Tampa. I have black interior. I don't (personally) find the ventilated seats on my 991.2 all that necessary...I forget to switch them on sometimes. The car cools down very quickly; there are four vents facing you and it's not all that large an interior. It would not be a deal breaker for me. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 03:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Also keep in mind that Porsche does not sell complete seats. You have to assemble, unless you're talking about their bucket seats.

I was thinking it would be easier to just buy the seat from someone on here selling, rather than trying to retrofit it in, since you're going to have to remove the leather off of the seat, which is going to be some labor.

I would also try and sit in a car with them first. The ones on my 997.2 were far from good compared to other cars that I have been in with ventilated seats.
Old 09-06-2020 | 03:39 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

I’m in Tampa too. They were a must have option for me as I have them in my Cayenne and love them. Most people don’t understand that Porsche ventilated seats work opposite of other manufacturers. They “suck” rather than “blow.” So the ventilation is more subtle, and only sucks in the ambient air around the seat. Subsequently, they can take a bit more time to cool down.
Old 09-06-2020 | 03:42 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Depends how much you're willing to spend, but it is certainly possible.
I'm fortunate to have vented seats in my 991. Without them my (hairless) back gets extremely wet.
Only happens in this car, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
You might find two complete seats (with vent fan) and I think all the cars and pre-wired, but you'd still have to get the buttons for your instrument cluster.
Selling your non-vented seats would make the conversion less painful on your wallet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-OEM...cAAOSwXBdeQaYJ
Old 09-06-2020 | 06:52 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

For me, it's a must have option for the driver's seat. May need to make it a priority in my search.
Old 09-06-2020 | 07:07 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschejam
My back gets soaking wet on long drives. Gets rather unbearable. I don't know why I have that problem, but it is what it is.

I suppose I'll hold out for ventilated seats. Pity.
Some people won't buy a Porsche without the Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, rear axle steer, etc...
For everyday use, don;t miss out on Porsche's ventilated seats. Best in the business.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
Bob815 (09-07-2020), maschinetheist (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 08:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Ordered ventilated seats in one car, and skipped them in the next. They definitely work, and I can see where they might be a must for some individuals and/or regions, but their cooling effect comes at a cost: less padding and—for me, anyway—sore spots on long drives that didn't crop up in Porsches on either side with the same 4WSS+ seats. A Porsche engineer confirmed that seats with more motors or ventilation have less padding, ergo…

I never get sweaty in my 991.2, as the A/C is indeed excellent, but my older 911s and my 914 with black leather or vinyl seats were positively awful. Drenched, even on a mild day. A pair of Scheel seats with corduroy centers were revelatory in the 914, and that's an advantage that will work in a modern Porsche too. Cloth seat centers—whether factory materials or otherwise—are brilliant for this, and can be sewn in by a competent shop. They're also more comfortable and grippier too. YMMV…

maschinetheist (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 09:11 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I’m in Tampa too. They were a must have option for me as I have them in my Cayenne and love them. Most people don’t understand that Porsche ventilated seats work opposite of other manufacturers. They “suck” rather than “blow.” So the ventilation is more subtle, and only sucks in the ambient air around the seat. Subsequently, they can take a bit more time to cool down.
Thanks! Never knew that.
Old 09-06-2020 | 09:19 PM
omaralt
Racer

I’m also in Tampa! I didn’t realize how effective they were until I had to spend a week in a loaner without them. My back felt muggy and swampy. The ac is great but there is no air flow when you are sitting in the seat between you and the seat. I wouldn’t buy a car without them if it was a daily driver; which my 911 is
Bob815 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 10:39 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Vent seats are a must, now messaging seats... Nope
Bob815 (09-07-2020)
Old 09-06-2020 | 10:41 PM
omaralt
Racer

Originally Posted by B Russ
Vent seats are a must, now messaging seats... Nope
My wife has massaging seats in her GLS and they’re great on longer trips. Wish I had massaging seats lol

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats