Sponsored by:

Road trip to the Dragons in the 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020 | 07:46 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Default Road trip to the Dragons in the 991.2

Hey rennlisters,
i recently moved from St. Louis to Atlanta.
im looking to do a social distance vacation with the wife and I.
The goal is to go from Georgia’s Dragon ( stay in Helen GA ) to tail of the dragon in the 911.
does anyone have recommended places to stay at Tail of the dragon and activities to do do? Great hiking trails etc.

pictures from Georgia’s dragon this last weekend

Last edited by snake eyes; 08-17-2020 at 08:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by snake eyes:
GT3FZS (08-25-2020), KWP1911 (08-17-2020), masti99 (08-18-2020), Wrtflyr (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 10:21 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Fontana Village Resort was scheduled to open today. Not sure if that happen, link to their website is below.
https://www.fontanavillage.com
Old 08-17-2020 | 10:52 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Hey rennlisters,
i recently moved from St. Louis to Atlanta.
im looking to do a social distance vacation with the wife and I.
The goal is to go from Georgia’s Dragon ( stay in Helen GA ) to tail of the dragon in the 911.
does anyone have recommended places to stay at Tail of the dragon and activities to do do? Great hiking trails etc.

pictures from Georgia’s dragon this last weekend

My Wife and I drove The Dragon about 10 years ago on our way to Asheville. I would just stay in Asheville. Great city, amazing breweries in the area. Spend some time around Lake Fontana or Nantahala along the way. Does the GT3 belong to Josh in the Atlanta area? Hope to drive with you guys some time.

Last edited by 737gdog; 08-17-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2020 | 11:42 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
Fontana Village Resort was scheduled to open today. Not sure if that happen, link to their website is below.
https://www.fontanavillage.com
thanks for the link, cabins look good! I’ll look into it
Old 08-17-2020 | 11:54 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 737gdog
My Wife and I drove The Dragon about 10 years ago on our way to Asheville. I would just stay in Asheville. Great city, amazing breweries in the area. Spend some time around Lake Fontana or Nantahala along the way. Does the GT3 belong to Josh in the Atlanta area? Hope to drive with you guys some time.
thanks for the tips, we love great breweries and I’ll look into Asheville as well. Tantrum up near Helen GA has been our go to place on our way back from the weekend trips into the area.
The GT3 doesn’t belong to Josh but another rennlist member. I actually just snapped that at the top of neels gap,
such a unique color, it is 737gdog’s ride. We weren’t cursing together. It is a Very popular road, from all the cars I saw..

ranking of georgia’s Dragon on my list.

Suches loop is so much better than the canyons ie latigo, stunt rd, mohulland, the snake in California..which are very bumpy by comparison
yes Angeles crest highway is still one of the best..
As far as when I lived in pacific NW.. best roads I’ve driven were MT St. Helens, and Vancouver wa side of Columbia river.
best road I ever been on period is glacier park “going to the sun road” spectacular... breath taking views.. and great driving road in general.
hope tail of the dragon takes them all down..and is number one

Last edited by snake eyes; 08-17-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2020 | 07:35 AM
Restore
Advanced

Highlands, NC is a quaint, but expensive town 20 min from the corner of GA (depending on the speed you take the curves). There's an inn in town, great restaurants, shops open... The trip from Franklin, NC is almost as curvy as the dragon I suspect (some curves are banked 30 degrees - more like switchbacks).
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Restore
Highlands, NC is a quaint, but expensive town 20 min from the corner of GA (depending on the speed you take the curves). There's an inn in town, great restaurants, shops open... The trip from Franklin, NC is almost as curvy as the dragon I suspect (some curves are banked 30 degrees - more like switchbacks).
But not 11 miles of no intersections and 318 curves like the dragon. Be careful.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gary JR:
tjg81296 (08-18-2020), tourenwagen (08-24-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 09:32 AM
tjg81296
Racer

That's just awesome....
The following users liked this post:
Gary JR (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:11 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

I HIGHLY recommend the Rennsport Dragon Rally. The next one is in the fall - Oct 23-25 I think. I went to the one in June and had an absolute blast. The organizer is local and set up 3 different days of the best roads I've ever been on. Several of them were more fun than the Tail, and MUCH less traffic.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:16 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YetiRojo
I HIGHLY recommend the Rennsport Dragon Rally. The next one is in the fall - Oct 23-25 I think. I went to the one in June and had an absolute blast. The organizer is local and set up 3 different days of the best roads I've ever been on. Several of them were more fun than the Tail, and MUCH less traffic.
count me in, would be interested in that...
thats the weekend after petit Le Mans at road Atlanta.

Last edited by snake eyes; 08-18-2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-18-2020 | 10:28 PM
jbs8917
Advanced

Originally Posted by snake eyes
thanks for the tips, we love great breweries and I’ll look into Asheville as well. Tantrum up near Helen GA has been our go to place on our way back from the weekend trips into the area.
The GT3 doesn’t belong to Josh but another rennlist member. I actually just snapped that at the top of neels gap,
such a unique color, it is 737gdog’s ride. We weren’t cursing together. It is a Very popular road, from all the cars I saw..

ranking of georgia’s Dragon on my list.

Suches loop is so much better than the canyons ie latigo, stunt rd, mohulland, the snake in California..which are very bumpy by comparison
As far as when I lived in pacific NW.. best roads I’ve driven were MT St. Helens, and Vancouver wa side of Columbia river.
best road I ever been on period is glacier park “going to the sun road” spectacular... breath taking views.. and great driving road in general.
hope tail of the dragon takes them all down..and is number one
GT3 does belong to Josh haha. We didn’t get a chance to actually meet, so no sweat on the name. I was running with the Lotus. Fun day, a bit slick on Wolf Pen, but never gonna complain about that!
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:22 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jbs8917
GT3 does belong to Josh haha. We didn’t get a chance to actually meet, so no sweat on the name. I was running with the Lotus. Fun day, a bit slick on Wolf Pen, but never gonna complain about that!
I got you mixed up with another member that pm’d me. Thought he was the GT3 guy until I got a pm from you lol
oh well all good.
Old 08-24-2020 | 02:42 PM
wschomburg
Intermediate

Talking Angels Crest memory

[QUOTE=ranking of georgia’s Dragon on my list.

[/QUOTE]
I took my Goldwing from DC to LA and back and spent 2 days on Angeles Crest hwy. Man I have never been on anything better in my 58 years. It's so good that I had several Haley riders passing me on my GoldWing and I was already damn near triple digits.
I hope to be able to do it again.
Old 08-24-2020 | 11:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I've been riding / driving the Roads in North GA my whole life. Some wonderful roads here.
Plus like said the Dragon and many many others within a short drive of North GA also.
Old 08-30-2020 | 09:55 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Finalizing my trip from Helen Georgia Suches loop to Tail of the dragon, starting the weekend after labor day. Any more must see's on my trip??

Quick Reply: Road trip to the Dragons in the 991.2