991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the best way to find a car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020 | 11:59 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Default What’s the best way to find a car?

I’m starting to get in the market (~8 weeks from purchase). I was between 992 S and 991.2 GTS but after driving a .2 S I’m in love and I prefer 991 styling. I’ve got daily search on Cars.com and Autotrader, scour the classifieds here.

looking for
(hard)
.2 GTS Coupe PDK
not white (have 2 white cars already)
full leather interior/ vented seats OR GTS interior (Need that leather dash)

soft
RAS
CL’s

with only 900 C2 GTS across the run, assuming 2/3 are PDK coupes, it’s just being patient right? I made contact at a local dealer...anything else to do? Anyone looking to sell this fall?
Old 08-10-2020 | 12:32 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

You've covered most of your bases. Add the Porsche Car Finder to your list - https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/ The Hubby's found our last couple of cars on CarGurus.com, so that's a good resource, too. Good luck with your search. That's half the fun, sometimes!

Last edited by macanakey; 08-10-2020 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 12:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Become a member
Ask / post a wanted here
Patience
Look daily here, Porsche locator, auto trader, etc
Have cash ready
Don't think too much, act fast
Good cars go FAST

You can also pay a broker.

I'd been looking for a 991 to daily for several months. Right car local came up showed up that day paid cash. If I didn't car would have sold that day to someone else as he'd had many, many calls. I beat out someone wanting a PPI too, PPI are a hassle. I know these cars well enough and able to scan DME/codes that I'm ok w/o one... many may not be.

Old 08-10-2020 | 12:42 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’d be looking at the Porsche preowned section like was recommended. List inventory at Porsche dealers nationwide. Somewhat easy to find what you are looking for. Good luck.
Leadoffhawkeye (08-12-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 12:44 PM
enve46
Instructor

I exhaust all the search engines to find exactly what Im looking for. Ad Cargurus to your list as well. I search am, mid day and late evening and take out specific models are sometimes they're not listed correctly and you'll miss some results. Search by color, year and eliminate as you go. I was searching for Guards Red, slicktop, PDK C2S and found it, with sports design to boot.
Old 08-10-2020 | 12:50 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Become a member
Ask / post a wanted here
Patience
Look daily here, Porsche locator, auto trader, etc
Have cash ready
Don't think too much, act fast
Good cars go FAST

You can also pay a broker.

I'd been looking for a 991 to daily for several months. Right car local came up showed up that day paid cash. If I didn't car would have sold that day to someone else as he'd had many, many calls. I beat out someone wanting a PPI too, PPI are a hassle. I know these cars well enough and able to scan DME/codes that I'm ok w/o one... many may not be.
Agree & disagree on on the jump fast thing. Good cars may go fast, but I've seen people pay some crazy prices lately for vehicles without doing their homework. It seems like there's a bit of a buying frenzy out there right now. Demand & pricing slow down a bit as winter approaches, so if the OP can hold off for a few months, they may be better deals & choices to be had.
Old 08-10-2020 | 12:54 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

add cargurus and truecar to your list of national websites. Set up a search on ebay, some dealers list there for the attention. Check the classifieds here and on 6sponline and watch the PCA (porsche club of america) classifieds along with the pcarmarket auctions ection. Use the Porsche N/A CPO search tool as well. Be patient and find the car you want.
Old 08-10-2020 | 03:18 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Setup a search at Autotempest.com.
You'll instantly get search results from cars.com, ebay, BAT and you can click at the bottom of the search to get autotrader, cargurus and Facebook searches with the same search criteria.

I've setup a search here. It's easy. Just stick with it. Once you find the car you want, go get it! It's exactly what I did.
https://www.autotempest.com/results?...nsmission=auto

You can also search the Porsche Pre-Owned Vehicles website. Not always the most up to date, but you might find something here that wasn't listed somewhere else.
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/
Old 08-10-2020 | 04:04 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

As previously stated, when you find "the one" be ready to move. I had someone come in to buy my car as I was signing the paperwork in the dealership.
I went down to the dealer @ lunch and negotiated a price. I then wanted to have a talk with my wife before I signed, sales manager was annoyed and rolled his eyes, but whatever, I wanted full agreement. I went back to work and when I talked to her she said to call them back right away and tell them I was coming to finish the deal. She said "do it now" and insisted I leave work immediately to seal the deal.
Apparently the dealership had additional interested parties, they even mentioned that to me. While I was back at work thinking/talking it over, the other party embarked on a 2 hour trip to come and buy the car. Thanks to her insistence on haste I got the car. If I had waited 10 minutes more it would have been gone. In the last 9 months I have had it, I have only seen one close to this spec show up, it sold quickly at a premium.
Good luck and post up pictures when you land her.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
GT3FZS (08-12-2020), Rich_Jenkins (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 04:42 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

The Porsche finder typically doesn’t update as fast as a dealer site does. I don’t know how many cars I found on Porsche finder only to realize they were already gone, so check it, but don’t rely on it.

Car Gurus seems to have a more comprehensive listing but some dealers will only post on autotrader or cargurus, not always both. So you have to check them both. Also a simple google search will turn up others. I found two available Targas only listed on the dealer sites I wouldn’t have found anywhere else. A simple 911 gts search might uncover what you’re looking for.

Also if you are looking for CPO, don’t select the certified filter on car gurus or autotrader. Sometimes Porsche dealers don’t mark CPO cars for whatever reason as certified so you might miss one. Also if you want CPO for the peace of mind, most dealers will do it for extra cost or you could negotiate it as part of the deal etc.
Old 08-11-2020 | 07:58 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Some advice from someone that has owned 485 (45 Porsche's) cars. Do not look for a car 8 weeks before you are ready to buy, unless you are prepared to buy it right away. Used car inventory is in high demand right now due to shortages caused by the pandemic, many suppliers in certain parts of the world are not able to run their factories at 100% and critical parts needed to build cars are not available in the volume they used to be. My advise wait until you are ready, seeing a car today that you cannot buy does you no good and it will not help you when you are ready. It does help to have a relationship with dealers (it took my dealer less than two days to find my 2019 Targa 4S), but I've know these people over 25 years and they know when I say I want to buy, I buy. Hopefully the dealer you went to sees you as a serious buyer, but even if they do they are not likely to look for a car now if you told them you want to buy it 8 weeks from now. A lot can happen in 8 weeks. Good luck.
rugu6869 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020 | 08:05 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c1pher
The Porsche finder typically doesn’t update as fast as a dealer site does. I don’t know how many cars I found on Porsche finder only to realize they were already gone, so check it, but don’t rely on it.
This. They are still listing a T that Beachwood sold weeks if not months ago.
Porsche's web site has become less and less useful with every "improvement". It worked fairly well back in '09 when I was deciding between a new 997 and another 993. It's hard to believe that it isn't intentional, but I swear it was "better" back then. At least to me.
Old 08-11-2020 | 09:07 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Some advice from someone that has owned 485 (45 Porsche's) cars. Do not look for a car 8 weeks before you are ready to buy, unless you are prepared to buy it right away. Used car inventory is in high demand right now due to shortages caused by the pandemic, many suppliers in certain parts of the world are not able to run their factories at 100% and critical parts needed to build cars are not available in the volume they used to be. My advise wait until you are ready, seeing a car today that you cannot buy does you no good and it will not help you when you are ready. It does help to have a relationship with dealers (it took my dealer less than two days to find my 2019 Targa 4S), but I've know these people over 25 years and they know when I say I want to buy, I buy. Hopefully the dealer you went to sees you as a serious buyer, but even if they do they are not likely to look for a car now if you told them you want to buy it 8 weeks from now. A lot can happen in 8 weeks. Good luck.
i was upfront. Said I was surgeon starting new job. Gave time frame, said first car, would like to compare 14 vs 18 ways and test a 991 S. He knew going into I was not purchasing a car today, but that prior to starting a search I should know exactly what I want? Hardly think that’s wasting his time. Did not ask him to search in earnest but to let me know if he hears of anything coming in. I’ve rushed other car purchases thinking I had to get the best car available that day...and inevitably compromised. I have no intentions of that this time.
Old 08-11-2020 | 09:55 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macanakey
Add the Porsche Car Finder to your list - https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/
^^^ This. I found my CPO that way last year. Mrs. Rich is a former Auto Broker. She found my E92 M3 on Autotrader, but I think the OP mentioned that already.

How about the PCA national web site? I think non-members can also browse the ads. Good price reference as well, albeit from Porsche owners via private sales.

https://mart.pca.org/

Old 08-11-2020 | 10:03 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Emphasis on bolded. I agree. If you aren't prepared to move on a used 911 'right now', chances are that if it is priced right, and optioned well, in good condition, it will go very soon.

It seems to me recently over the last few months I've seen several posts by prospective buyers 'testing the waters' by posting car ads for sale, only to report back in a few days "well, that car sold."

Of course on the other hand, I sympathize with new buyers, because they don't know what they don't know. Is this car what I want? Do I need this option? What if I don't get that option? Are 911s reliable? Etc. etc. It is pretty difficult to navigate without some context and perspective on history or experience, because these folks have none. And of course what to some might be a third or fourth car, or a rounding error on their Portfolio, to some (me buying a used 911 might be at the top end of their "I want a Porsche" affordability options, and they don't want to make an expensive mistake. So there's that.
1Carnut (08-12-2020)

Quick Reply: What’s the best way to find a car?