991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera Aftermarket Intercooler Poor Performance On Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023 | 05:23 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Looks like World Motorsports' kit is for the Turbo or Turbo S cars, not the 3.0 cars?
Old 11-28-2023 | 09:17 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Looks like World Motorsports' kit is for the Turbo or Turbo S cars, not the 3.0 cars?
In this car we used a kit that we make for the 992 turbo and converted some parts on our meth kit to adapt it to a water sprayer kit.
We were planning to build a sprayer kit for the 992 platform when we purchased some nozzles we discovered that we were sure would do the trick. When Fritz called inquiring about the kit the timing was pretty good because I was already in search of the parts to do our own kit. After quite a few phone calls with him we decided it was a good idea to install it on Fritz's car, he was going to really be able to put it to the test. This could become our test car to see if it even works. What is the point of building something that does not even work?

We have had many Weissach package GT2's in the shop and have seen and used that sprayer system, the performance from that system leaves a lot to be desired so we never pursued it. About a year after that we had a GT2 Clubsport come in for some work and that sprayer system was way more robust. It used a real pump and a real tank along with some nicely sized lines and much different nozzles.

Many of the same parts that we use on our methanol Injection kit could be used for this sprayer kit as well. All we need to do is change the pump for the sprayer kit and we can reuse all the other components from the meth kit that go under the bonnet. Since we already did all the work to securely mount the tank and pump for the meth kit correctly, now we just use it as a water tank.
We still had to do is re-engineer everything outside of the tank area but half the battle is done.

The unique nozzles that we found worked exactly how we hoped. The intercooler gets incredible coverage and a huge improvement in heat soak and the water in the tank lasts a long time before needing refilled. These were all requirements that were addressed when we did this kit. Fritz does 3 20 minute sessions on the track to a tank of water and we are going to make it last twice as long on the final kit.

In terms of performance he found a 30 degree drop in intake temperature and an additional 3 M.P.H. at the end of the straights. It sounds like a successful first test of the kit.

We still have many little things to work out before we can ship a ready to install kit but it is definitely something that we can install at our shop for now.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
The following 3 users liked this post by Staff@WORLD:
Dark_horse (11-29-2023), fsmich (11-28-2023), IRunalot (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023 | 09:32 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

I would be very interested in a true 991.2 3.0 kit
Old 11-28-2023 | 09:54 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Nice!!!! Any more details or pics you can share? Line routing or any pics of how they mounted the sprayers in your intercooler cages? I have heard World Motorsport is great.
Sorry, no additional pics yet.
The sprayers definitely work. I had a lap that was a full second faster than my previous street tire (3r's) PB.......with 90deg air temp and day 3 tires that were ready to cord!
Old 11-28-2023 | 10:55 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by dsddcd
…reprogramming the rear spoiler for maximum angle of attach
Presumably you mean angle of attack, right? More importantly, is this the super aggressive angle you see when the spoiler is deployed and the sunroof is open? How is that reprogramming achieved? PIWIS III? Do you know if it increases the downforce at the rear? If it does, that could be interesting from a track perspective. I suspect I’d need to come up with some more downforce at the front of the car, though, to compensate and to ensure that the front end doesn’t get too light at speed.
The following 2 users liked this post by enzotcat:
IRunalot (11-29-2023), Tier1Terrier (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023 | 06:14 AM
Dark_horse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
In this car we used a kit that we make for the 992 turbo and converted some parts on our meth kit to adapt it to a water sprayer kit.
We were planning to build a sprayer kit for the 992 platform when we purchased some nozzles we discovered that we were sure would do the trick. When Fritz called inquiring about the kit the timing was pretty good because I was already in search of the parts to do our own kit. After quite a few phone calls with him we decided it was a good idea to install it on Fritz's car, he was going to really be able to put it to the test. This could become our test car to see if it even works. What is the point of building something that does not even work?

We have had many Weissach package GT2's in the shop and have seen and used that sprayer system, the performance from that system leaves a lot to be desired so we never pursued it. About a year after that we had a GT2 Clubsport come in for some work and that sprayer system was way more robust. It used a real pump and a real tank along with some nicely sized lines and much different nozzles.

Many of the same parts that we use on our methanol Injection kit could be used for this sprayer kit as well. All we need to do is change the pump for the sprayer kit and we can reuse all the other components from the meth kit that go under the bonnet. Since we already did all the work to securely mount the tank and pump for the meth kit correctly, now we just use it as a water tank.
We still had to do is re-engineer everything outside of the tank area but half the battle is done.

The unique nozzles that we found worked exactly how we hoped. The intercooler gets incredible coverage and a huge improvement in heat soak and the water in the tank lasts a long time before needing refilled. These were all requirements that were addressed when we did this kit. Fritz does 3 20 minute sessions on the track to a tank of water and we are going to make it last twice as long on the final kit.

In terms of performance he found a 30 degree drop in intake temperature and an additional 3 M.P.H. at the end of the straights. It sounds like a successful first test of the kit.

We still have many little things to work out before we can ship a ready to install kit but it is definitely something that we can install at our shop for now.
I’ve researched a lot and this offering would be amazing to solve a major problem on the 991.2. I would also be interested to know how much this kit and installation would cost at your shop.
Old 11-29-2023 | 08:23 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Presumably you mean angle of attack, right? More importantly, is this the super aggressive angle you see when the spoiler is deployed and the sunroof is open? How is that reprogramming achieved? PIWIS III? Do you know if it increases the downforce at the rear? If it does, that could be interesting from a track perspective. I suspect I’d need to come up with some more downforce at the front of the car, though, to compensate and to ensure that the front end doesn’t get too light at speed.
In this thread they talk about how to adjust the angle of attack on the spoiler. It can be done with PIWIS or other two way diagnostic service tools like that Autel Max.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1164...e-install.html

In theory you are correct that this should require additional downforce at the front.

The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023 | 08:30 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

You can always go to a GT3 front bumper which substantially reduces lift at the front. This should help balance the rear down force.

This is my plan if I every find a duck tail.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (04-02-2024), Tier1Terrier (07-02-2024)
Old 11-29-2023 | 09:04 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I saw some pics of prototype front cannards for 991.2 bumper that cancels the lift and another that adds a little DF. The factory bumper generates lift.

You can change height of spoiler with coding tools, just a numeric value

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-29-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Tier1Terrier (07-02-2024)
Old 11-29-2023 | 09:34 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

A lot of the lift is caused by the radiator outflow which is going under the car versus the GT3 that vents at the top of the bumper. Even with a good spoiler it wont eliminate that lift although it could negate it with added down force.

It's around 60lbs of lift but I can't remember at what speed that figure is quoted for.

Last edited by IRunalot; 11-29-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2023 | 09:51 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRunalot
A lot of the lift is caused by the radiator outflow which is going under the car versus the GT3 that vents at the top of the bumper. Even with a good spoiler it wont eliminate that lift although it could negate it with added down force.

It's around 60lbs of lift but I can't remember at what speed that figure is quoted for.
Flow analysis from the engineer that designed them showed it cancelled the lift.
IRunalot (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023 | 09:52 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

That makes sense thank you
Old 12-27-2023 | 11:38 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Did you test the sustained power output with headers? I was also told these cause the turbos to spool slower due to lower exhaust gas manifold pressures. Unless the engine is built I was told to leave the stock exhaust manifold.
Unfortunately we did not have a full test mule car with data logging capabilities for external sensors. APR has done a lot of test though and they have published a fair amount of details on their car. Changing the manifolds will change the performance both static and dynamically. Without getting into too much detail designers look at total pressure, velocity pressure, volume..... My guess is that factory manifolds would create a better spool around town but there would be some reduction in the back pressure at higher flow rates with aftermarket designs. Based the little testing that we did complete I would suspect an increase in performance on the track with headers especially with increased flow rates.

https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...911-carrera/9/

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
In this thread they talk about how to adjust the angle of attack on the spoiler. It can be done with PIWIS or other two way diagnostic service tools like that Autel Max.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1164...e-install.html

In theory you are correct that this should require additional downforce at the front.
Our original test car has the Sports Design spoiler and early on we noticed the additional lift with the sunroof open. This lead to "Tricking" the system by momentarily pushing the sunroof which increased the AOA but did not open the roof. Eventually we programmed the spoiler for an AOA to better match the base car or GT3T. In all our testing the HS understeer was not any different or problematic even with the addition of the 3rd radiator. If you really want an improvement removing large sweeps from the HS Rebound and HS Compression from the OEM damper table.

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD
Fritz does 3 20 minute sessions on the track to a tank of water and we are going to make it last twice as long on the final kit.
The kit looks great, I look forward to seeing the final and sharing with our customers! One recommendation is that our testing on the GT2RS shows that higher flow rates are desired. In fact following a GT2-RS Clubsport is so extreme you will see a lot of water exiting the bumper in the straights from the sprayer. Our goal number as 3-5 GPH using a 1.5 gallon auxiliary reservoir tied into the OEM washer tank providing a 30min session.
IRunalot (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023 | 01:46 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Thank you so much for the objective feedback I think I will go with exactly what you have outlined. I was going to change to the Tial intercoolers but if they do not make difference in IATs on track they will not be needed.

Did you test the sustained power output with headers? I was also told these cause the turbos to spool slower due to lower exhaust gas manifold pressures. Unless the engine is built I was told to leave the stock exhaust manifold.
This is the best recent test I've seen, where the Vektor headers were installed on a car with an existing Protune. Then, a new tune was created which got even more performance. I think a lot of people are hung up on the older 996/997 Turbo header design which was actually tubular and pretty decent. So the aftermarket options were not a significant improvement over stock. But the 991.2 generation manifold is horrendously designed. The aftermarket options are much better flowing and quicker spooling.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1198...l#post18912802

Last edited by spdracerut; 12-27-2023 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
4 Point 0 (12-27-2023), IRunalot (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023 | 01:52 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Thank you for that feedback, I still feel the headers will perform better in track than a dyno.

looks like I’ll be ordering the Vektor headers as originally planned.

Last edited by IRunalot; 12-27-2023 at 02:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRunalot:
4 Point 0 (12-27-2023), Tier1Terrier (07-02-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera Aftermarket Intercooler Poor Performance On Track