Sponsored by:

Looking into a 2016 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy
So long as you do not have a trade, it's a relatively clean process. In short, the car you buy is put onto a transport and is delivered to you. You are then responsible for all required paperwork, out-of-state inspections, and taxes (as applicable) to register the vehicle in your home state. Out of state purchases do carry a higher risk, buy from a reputable dealer and have a local PPI done. If you're nervous, you can simply expand your search to cities within reasonable driving distance from your home. You can still inspect the vehicle yourself and complete the paperwork in person.

In the case of Carmax though, the stress is largely removed. If you go to their website, they have something called a "transfer fee" listed against some of their cars. That's the price you pay to have the vehicle brought to your city for a test drive and possible purchase. If you choose NOT to buy the vehicle, you pay the fee and walk away. The fee ranges from $2K (super far away from your home) to free (within 250 miles or something like that). Some cars cannot be transferred because they don't have the title in hand yet.

Further, in the case of Carmax, you can trade in your current vehicle locally and receive the tax credit (again as applicable, based on state) for that trade against the new car. General rule of thumb on Carmax: trade in values are fair if you have a vehicle which they're going to re-sell themselves. Trade-in values are low if they're going to wholesale out the vehicle. Trade in a 2018 Honda Pilot and you'll get a fair value. Trade in a 1999 Mercedes S-Class and you'll get lowballed.
Thanks for the information. So are you paying taxes/title/fees for the transaction and then again to transfer the car to the state I live in?

I went to Carmax so long ago to sell my Cayenne and decided to keep it. LOL
Old 07-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Not a Carrera but my first Porsche was a 2008 Boxster S ((RS60 Spyder) that I bought with 60K on the clock. No issues at all. Tight as a new car, no squeaks, rattles at all. Fast as hell with “just” 300 hp. Most of these cars are extremely well cared for and maintained.

Make sure you have fresh tires even if the tread is good on older ones.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:55 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by barrios35
Thanks for the information. So are you paying taxes/title/fees for the transaction and then again to transfer the car to the state I live in?

I went to Carmax so long ago to sell my Cayenne and decided to keep it. LOL
To be candid, I haven't done this for a while. The last time I purchased a vehicle from California (for example), they waived state sales tax so long as the car was put onto a transporter and shipped directly out of state. You probably need to check on the specifics; this was a while ago. But, state tax in your home state IS your responsibility to take care of. Any competent Porsche dealership in that state can probably answer your questions accurately.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Originally Posted by TamiyaGuy
To be candid, I haven't done this for a while. The last time I purchased a vehicle from California (for example), they waived state sales tax so long as the car was put onto a transporter and shipped directly out of state. You probably need to check on the specifics; this was a while ago. But, state tax in your home state IS your responsibility to take care of. Any competent Porsche dealership in that state can probably answer your questions accurately.
Thanks. You have been helpful. Yeah, going to reach tomorrow for more information.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:37 AM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

barrios35, I’m near you and have dealt with the process many times. Buying from out of state is not that difficult. Done it a number of times and sometimes even with a trade. The tax and registration are only due in Illinois after your car gets here. Some states (California for sure) are a slight hassle with rules about getting it out right away and no temp tags but with most states, dealership will get you a temp tag (or drive away) registration so that you can drive the car (10 - 30 days) before you register in Illinois. Fairly easy trip to Sec of State (or currency exchange) to handle registration and paying the IL sales tax. Some dealerships use a service to handle out of state registrations and tax.

Most dealerships can help arrange shipping. You can negotiate this when purchasing car. I’ve personally had dealers pay and arrange for shipping, split shipping costs with me but did all the leg work and some that required me to find, arrange and pay for shipping. Never had an issue on the shipping.

The hardest part about out-of-town buying is getting comfortable with condition of the car. Finding someone to do PPI (pre purchase inspection) is good way, fly to see the car is another. Once or twice I’ve asked around about a dealership/salesman and also received detailed walk around video of car. If you ask nicely, you can sometimes find someone on Rennlist to put eyes on a car. good luck!
Old 07-27-2020, 11:32 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Originally Posted by OTM
barrios35, I’m near you and have dealt with the process many times. Buying from out of state is not that difficult. Done it a number of times and sometimes even with a trade. The tax and registration are only due in Illinois after your car gets here. Some states (California for sure) are a slight hassle with rules about getting it out right away and no temp tags but with most states, dealership will get you a temp tag (or drive away) registration so that you can drive the car (10 - 30 days) before you register in Illinois. Fairly easy trip to Sec of State (or currency exchange) to handle registration and paying the IL sales tax. Some dealerships use a service to handle out of state registrations and tax.

Most dealerships can help arrange shipping. You can negotiate this when purchasing car. I’ve personally had dealers pay and arrange for shipping, split shipping costs with me but did all the leg work and some that required me to find, arrange and pay for shipping. Never had an issue on the shipping.

The hardest part about out-of-town buying is getting comfortable with condition of the car. Finding someone to do PPI (pre purchase inspection) is good way, fly to see the car is another. Once or twice I’ve asked around about a dealership/salesman and also received detailed walk around video of car. If you ask nicely, you can sometimes find someone on Rennlist to put eyes on a car. good luck!
Thank you for information. Yeah, this community is best.

Quick Reply: Looking into a 2016 Carrera