Sponsored by:

991.1 Tail Lights Falling Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024 | 07:32 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadsession
I don’t think it’s related to tightening of the light to the car
I just had the same thing happen, driver side rear tail light hanging out, the red plastic screw hole has broken off. How do you repair this with out buying a new light. My car has the ducktail not sure how to get to the top of the screws?
Old 07-22-2024 | 07:54 PM
VII7
Racer

Just came here to say one of mine fell out about a month ago.
As stated it breaks from a screw that is not used when removing the taillight for service, it's just poorly designed.
Two part epoxied mine to the mounting bracket.
Old 07-22-2024 | 08:30 PM
Msgm1
Instructor

Originally Posted by VII7
Just came here to say one of mine fell out about a month ago.
As stated it breaks from a screw that is not used when removing the taillight for service, it's just poorly designed.
Two part epoxied mine to the mounting bracket.
Ah thx! and screwed it back in?
Old 07-22-2024 | 11:46 PM
VII7
Racer

Yes the bracket is not damaged it will screw back in normally, the part that breaks is from the bracket to the taillight.
Old Yesterday | 01:57 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dany Kim
There is not much to write up if you actually see and find what the problem is. I believe taking out the taillights part can be found here in rennlist. So, take out your taillight and if the additional metal pieces are in place, no action is required. If not,

unscrew no.5 in the diagram. If your black supporting bracket (The whole piece including item no.2) completely comes off from the red taillight housing, you might loose your taillight one day down the road. This item no.5 holds the bracket and the taillight housing together and the screw-hole on the taillight housing side is too fragile (Blue circled area).

(Photo taken by rennlist member BLK991CAB)

Now to prevent taillights from falling out, you can add double-sided adhesive tape or glue on the yellow area. You can also apply few more surface on the side to be sure. When the two parts are strongly attached together, screw no.5 back and put the taillights back on. That’s it!

I hope this helps-
I just did this today. From my experience, both screw 5 and screw 2 must be removed to access the housing. Step 1: raise wing, step 2: remove plastic cover, step 3: unscrew bolts 2 and 5, step 4: remove/clean housing with IPA, step 5: clean light, especially grooves, with toothbrush and IPA, step 6: use epoxy (for plastics) to connect housing and light, step 7: use tape to prevent shifting while epoxy sets, step 8: reassemble. I believe that this fix will be permanent. 20 minutes to remove and clean light and housing, 1 hour for epoxy to cure, 5 minutes to reassemble.

Left taillight removed

Used this to attach light to housing

Epoxy setting up - light and housing

Macro view

Broken screw hole

Broken part inside housing.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Tail Lights Falling Out