991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 991.1 Targa deal...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020 | 05:40 PM
jasonl88
Intermediate

Default Thoughts on this 991.1 Targa deal...

So I've been looking for a CPO 991.1 base coupe for a while now but finding it hard to locate one with options I want. I originally wanted to spend around 60-65K for the car. Well a 991.1 Targa 4s popped up and I am seriously considering it. It's a launch car so heavily optioned including sport chrono and PSE which are options I really wanted. It's a CPO with 50K miles. Dealer put new tires and a new seal around targa roof. They are asking 77K, so more then I wanted to spend but I feel like it's a good deal for a targa. I love the targa's but really did not think they would be in my price range and are rare so never really considered them. I also will have to buy sight unseen and will have about $1500 in shipping. I've had a buddy look at the car and he says it looks to be in good shape with no obvious problems. I don't think they will budge on price. Just nervous before pulling the trigger so thought I would get some other perspectives. This will be my first Porsche and my daily driver.

https://www.porschewestwood.com/used...BB2A98ES133225

Last edited by jasonl88; 07-09-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 07-08-2020 | 05:58 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Never been a Targa guy BUT Targa cars usually hold their value better than some other trims. (similar mileage).
miles are pretty high for that asking price. Please remember that CPo is just for 2 yrs, if you want coverage and are hoping to keep this for longer then warranty options are very limited and very expensive at that mileage.

also I dont think you can consider PSE or SC as "heavily optioned".. PCCB or S-PASM with PDCC, bermiester , 18 way seats are usually items that fall in te heavily optioned list of goodies..

Old 07-08-2020 | 06:07 PM
jasonl88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Never been a Targa guy BUT Targa cars usually hold their value better than some other trims. (similar mileage).
miles are pretty high for that asking price. Please remember that CPo is just for 2 yrs, if you want coverage and are hoping to keep this for longer then warranty options are very limited and very expensive at that mileage.

also I dont think you can consider PSE or SC as "heavily optioned".. PCCB or S-PASM with PDCC, bermiester , 18 way seats are usually items that fall in te heavily optioned list of goodies..
Dealer mentioned they do have extended warranty options beyond the 2 years but did not talk price. I'm sure it's not cheap. And yes, I agree with you on the options....this car does not have those. I guess with it being a Targa 4S it pushed MSRP up with standard options.
Old 07-08-2020 | 06:35 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonl88
Dealer mentioned they do have extended warranty options beyond the 2 years but did not talk price. I'm sure it's not cheap. And yes, I agree with you on the options....this car does not have those. I guess with it being a Targa 4S it pushed MSRP up with standard options.

yes Targas push prices all the way up to and past turbo etc

I wouldn't concentrate on MSRP and what a deal this may be Vs what it cost new.. that's a slippery slope.. most importantly, is Targa something you always wanted? It adds significant amount of weight to the top of car and the car does feel slightly differently than a C2S etc
Also, high mileage means within 2-3 yrs you could be pushing 75K-80k miles.. look up prices on those cars, are you OK taking that depreciation. The prices take a bigger hit once you hit 70-80k miles.. you could easily be down $20K in next 2 yrs easily.. especially when this is you Daily driver
Get what you really want, lowest miles you can afford and most important (to you) options you can manage , that would be my 2 cents

As for dealer extended warranty, there are only 2/3 extended warranties worth dealing with.. especially in this current and ongoing climate when underwriting companies (who may be hemorrhaging money in other businesses) may go under.. Zurich, Allstate, Carmax and Fidelity are a few good ones.
The following users liked this post:
greggcoff (07-13-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 07:06 PM
jasonl88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by desmotesta
yes Targas push prices all the way up to and past turbo etc

I wouldn't concentrate on MSRP and what a deal this may be Vs what it cost new.. that's a slippery slope.. most importantly, is Targa something you always wanted? It adds significant amount of weight to the top of car and the car does feel slightly differently than a C2S etc
Also, high mileage means within 2-3 yrs you could be pushing 75K-80k miles.. look up prices on those cars, are you OK taking that depreciation. The prices take a bigger hit once you hit 70-80k miles.. you could easily be down $20K in next 2 yrs easily.. especially when this is you Daily driver
Get what you really want, lowest miles you can afford and most important (to you) options you can manage , that would be my 2 cents

As for dealer extended warranty, there are only 2/3 extended warranties worth dealing with.. especially in this current and ongoing climate when underwriting companies (who may be hemorrhaging money in other businesses) may go under.. Zurich, Allstate, Carmax and Fidelity are a few good ones.
I would love a Targa but just assumed they would be out of my price range since most are $90K+. You make good points on the mileage. I have noticed how prices chang significantly based on mileage so it's something to think about. Would not take me long to get to 70,000 miles on this car.
Old 07-08-2020 | 09:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonl88
Search thread on "Targa" here are read them and you will get a feel for what Targas owners say and what non-Targa owner say. I have heard way more Targa owners say they love their cars where some other model owners are always saying they would love to have this or that, but not Targa owners! The little bit if extra weight up high will not be noticed by many and the cool top makes up for it anyway, and there are a couple Targa owners track their cars and they state they perform very well so again, listen to what the owners say.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
goldduster (07-09-2020), macanakey (07-13-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 10:03 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

I love mine! It really is special and a great, great car. You have to decide for yourself- the only potential negative is the mileage. Is it your daily driver? If so, I would have to think. If not, and you are going to put 3,000 - 5,000 miles a year on it, I would jump on it as long it has what you see as your must have options, CPO is comforting and the asking price seems very fair. Maybe you can get a few grand off and put it aside if you need to for past CPO repairs as self funding.

I hope you find what you need, but just realize that this will not be around for a long time at that price. Also, as mentioned above, the prices do not fall as much as some other models. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2020 | 10:22 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

I am in the same situation looking at a high mileage 4S manual. About 50k also. Still have not pulled the trigger.

Here are the thoughts going through my head

How long am I going to keep it? If forever or a long time then mileage does not matter. If going to get a new car in 2 years it's a negative

How much am I going to drive it? Is it going to be my DD - or at least 10-15k per year? If you don't drive it you don't get the depreciation but then again you are not driving it so why have it?

At that price(which is one of the lowest targas I have seen) if it is colored and optioned as you like and you are going to keep for a while and drive it then go for it. A car is more than deprecation.
Old 07-08-2020 | 11:20 PM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

That’s an incredible deal for a 4S as long as you don’t mind the high mileage. Targas absolutely hold their value better than any other 911 outside of the GT cars. As you said, most 4Ss are trading in the $90k’s. However, it is way over your original budget. If the Targa is the car you really always wanted and the additional cost isn’t a big deal, then it might be a good buy for you. If it’s really stretching what you wanted to spend, you might want to step back, exercise some restraint, and refocus on your original goal. I know what you’re going through, I keep getting drawn off on tangents on my latest, few month long search. Best of luck!
Old 07-08-2020 | 11:21 PM
jasonl88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I am in the same situation looking at a high mileage 4S manual. About 50k also. Still have not pulled the trigger.

Here are the thoughts going through my head

How long am I going to keep it? If forever or a long time then mileage does not matter. If going to get a new car in 2 years it's a negative

How much am I going to drive it? Is it going to be my DD - or at least 10-15k per year? If you don't drive it you don't get the depreciation but then again you are not driving it so why have it?

At that price(which is one of the lowest targas I have seen) if it is colored and optioned as you like and you are going to keep for a while and drive it then go for it. A car is more than deprecation.
It would be my DD and I expect to put around 10K miles a year on the car. I'm coming form a Jeep Wrangler so the open air aspect appeals to me (not a cab guy though). I think it's the best looking 991 as well. Has all the options I want, but exterior color is black metallic which looks great, but would not be my first choice. Black can be a pain to maintain as a DD. Dealer said it was the lowest price Targa in the U.S. (I haven't seen one lower) and I'm sure it won't last long. But I also want to make sure I'm making the right decision, especially since it's more then I was wanting to spend. I do think it's a lot more car for the money. Part of my dilemma is I'm not sure how long I would keep the car. I would like to think it will be long term, but this will be an experiment to DD a 911 with 3 kids and a dog (wife does have a SUV). Going to sleep on it.
Old 07-08-2020 | 11:30 PM
dd356
Racer

Is that common to have a dealer offer a Cpo on a car with 50k miles? I haven't seen many like that.
Old 07-08-2020 | 11:35 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dd356
Is that common to have a dealer offer a Cpo on a car with 50k miles? I haven't seen many like that.
CPO can be up to 12 or 13 years if the car qualifies.
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:33 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dd356
My 2011 4S (Which I traded for the Targa) had over 70K miles and was sold as CPO by the dealer.
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:51 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

If you can afford it go for it. You won’t regret the targa one bit.
Old 07-09-2020 | 07:20 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I just bought a 2019 Targa 4S with under 1500 miles. I was not even considering the color combination that this one has but considering it has the options I wanted 18 ways, sport package (which includes rear wheel steering sport exhaust etc), Premium plus, and other options. I wrote this on Ferrarichat, I have come full circle, almost 5 decades ago I drove my first Porsche a white targa, ever since that day I've owned at least one Porsche, but never another Targa, so Porsche #45 (car # 485) will be another targa. I will not comment on the deal since I was looking at 2017's (I already have a 991.1 C4S)on, but you would have to probably spend another 40K to get a 991.2 car. I have bought a lot of cars, and I always believe a good deal is merely a state of mind, what is a good deal to me, might not be to you. For me 30k off sticker for a car that had what I wanted (and more) was a good deal. If that car is a good deal in your mind than go for it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 991.1 Targa deal...