Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Brake Pad recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020 | 01:27 PM
Irish996
Rennlist Member

Default 991.2 Brake Pad recommendation.

Hi guys, whats currently the favourite pad for fast road use and a few track days for the base 991.2?

Front and back need changing.

Should I look at stainless lines whilst I’m at it?

Hope to eventually upgrade whole system but budget says just do pads for now.
Old 07-08-2020 | 08:01 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

I always liked EBC Red Stuff so I bought front end of last year but somehow they never released rear pads (every website always shows out of stock even though they have spec/part# already for a while) so I'm holding on installation as I want to do both pads same time.
So far, I really couldn't find any low dust, decent bite pads for 991 yet..
Someone recommended HPS 5.0 but I wasn't able to find both front/rear pads anywhere either.
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:38 AM
dkfx
Advanced

I'm a huge fan of Carbotech stuff, been using them on the track for years. Tried their 'daily' pad on my m5 years ago, they were nice but are expensive. I will say they last FOREVER. My track pads (996 turbo) are probably 10-15 track days and 5 years of street duty and JUST NOW need to be replaced. pads were $250 a set I believe.
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:05 PM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Ferodo DS2500. They are great for what you specifically described (i.e. Street, 1-3 track days a year). I've run them on my Evora, and 4C and they deliver improved street perf. and are great on the track as well. I will eventually run them on my Carrera T as soon as I burn through the OEM stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by F1SML8R:
AdamSanta85 (07-09-2020), mc3456 (07-11-2020), rchaas (07-13-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:25 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1SML8R
Ferodo DS2500. They are great for what you specifically described (i.e. Street, 1-3 track days a year). I've run them on my Evora, and 4C and they deliver improved street perf. and are great on the track as well. I will eventually run them on my Carrera T as soon as I burn through the OEM stuff.
FCP Euro sells them too, so you can theoretically just buy one set and get them replaced for free going forward.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (04-18-2022)
Old 07-09-2020 | 12:25 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Ferodo D2500 or Endless MX72. If you go Endless get them from Japan as they are MUCH cheaper than buying from the US. Just sucks both sets will run you around $600 for F&R.

https://www.nengun.com/endless/brake-pads-mx72
Old 07-10-2020 | 05:11 PM
enzotcat
Pro

I'll put a plug in for the OEM pads. Honestly, they're more than capable. I've got a 991.2 Carrera S 7MT. I've done about 8-10 track days on them in the last 12 months. The pads are still at 70%, and the rotors are just fine. For reference I'm in the PCA "white" run groups so, while not an expert, I'm not circulating at a very slow pace either. I don't experience brake fade, and I don't have steel braided lines. The only downside is fairly significant dust. That said, if the other recommendations are cheaper than OEM, well ...
phx991 (09-03-2020)
Old 07-11-2020 | 08:11 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I'll put a plug in for the OEM pads. Honestly, they're more than capable. I've got a 991.2 Carrera S 7MT. I've done about 8-10 track days on them in the last 12 months. The pads are still at 70%, and the rotors are just fine. For reference I'm in the PCA "white" run groups so, while not an expert, I'm not circulating at a very slow pace either. I don't experience brake fade, and I don't have steel braided lines. The only downside is fairly significant dust. That said, if the other recommendations are cheaper than OEM, well ...
Honestly You are slow. Very slow. The only thing slower than you is your car. Let me give you an example. I wore out all four corners at the same time OEM pads. I decided to up grade the fronts, but because the rear were on back order, I put brand new OEM pads in the rear. 3 x 20 minute sessions and the brand new OEM pads were on bare metal. That's what I think of OEM pads. No one who tracks and is fast would recommend OEM pads. Honestly, they are rubbish.

Pagid RSL 29 were good but squealed like a city council bus.

D2500 are very similar to FM1000 (Supplied pad for Brembo BBK.) Silent and a good beginner pad.

If you want the Unicorn pad, its Endless ME20. Good from 0-800C. Perfect all rounder. If you want silent on the street, match with MX72+ in rear. If you want advanced track performance, than run ME20 front and Rear.

If you are going to track more than once per month, don't waste money. Get a BBK. It will be cheaper in the long run and they come with braided lines. Also change to SRF.

Taking half measures, leads to more speed. More speed leads to the need to take proper measures. Skip the waste of money. My OEM Porsche calipers turned Brown. So I now have Brembo GTS BBK 380mm front and rear.
Even the fronts on these are have discoloured and they are bare metal.
XLR82XS (04-18-2022)
Old 07-11-2020 | 08:42 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Honestly You are slow. Very slow. The only thing slower than you is your car. Let me give you an example. I wore out all four corners at the same time OEM pads. I decided to up grade the fronts, but because the rear were on back order, I put brand new OEM pads in the rear. 3 x 20 minute sessions and the brand new OEM pads were on bare metal. That's what I think of OEM pads. No one who tracks and is fast would recommend OEM pads. Honestly, they are rubbish.

Pagid RSL 29 were good but squealed like a city council bus.

D2500 are very similar to FM1000 (Supplied pad for Brembo BBK.) Silent and a good beginner pad.

If you want the Unicorn pad, its Endless ME20. Good from 0-800C. Perfect all rounder. If you want silent on the street, match with MX72+ in rear. If you want advanced track performance, than run ME20 front and Rear.

If you are going to track more than once per month, don't waste money. Get a BBK. It will be cheaper in the long run and they come with braided lines. Also change to SRF.

Taking half measures, leads to more speed. More speed leads to the need to take proper measures. Skip the waste of money. My OEM Porsche calipers turned Brown. So I now have Brembo GTS BBK 380mm front and rear.
Even the fronts on these are have discoloured and they are bare metal.

Honestly, you’re behaving like an *******. But then with an apparent ego like yours I really wouldn’t expect much more. As to whether or not I’m fast, you’ve got no idea whatsoever about my abilities. I’ve got no idea about your apparent abilities, or lack thereof, but I’m simply going to assert that you’re braking far too much, which is why you’re wearing out your pads. I base this on no evidence, but it’s equally valid.

All that aside, you also failed to take into account the OPs statement of “one or two track days and spirited street driving”. You absolutely do not need anything other than the OEM pads for that.
The following 3 users liked this post by enzotcat:
911T4ME (05-02-2022), foolio (02-16-2023), matthewlesko (03-28-2023)
Old 07-11-2020 | 08:45 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Honestly, you’re behaving like an *******. But then with an apparent ego like yours I really wouldn’t expect much more. As to whether or not I’m fast, you’ve got no idea whatsoever about my abilities. I’ve got no idea about your apparent abilities, or lack thereof, but I’m simply going to assert that you’re braking far too much, which is why you’re wearing out your pads. I base this on no evidence, but it’s equally valid.

All that aside, you also failed to take into account the OPs statement of “one or two track days and spirited street driving”. You absolutely do not need anything other than the OEM pads for that.
Also, FWIW, I completely destroyed both a set of pads and 4 rotors in a Civic Type R in 4 20 minute sessions. I had to replace them completely. Those OEM pads are bad. The 911s, not so much.
Old 07-11-2020 | 08:55 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

🤣. I was partially joking about being slow. But still, anyone recommending OEM pads for tracking is still slow in my opinion.

The point you are missing is, look further ahead. Someone starts the journey of a couple of track days . They like it, they do more. They get a taste for it, they do more and want more and expect more. Its human nature.

My advice was, skip some steps, same some money.

Don’t listen to the purists that Porsche have designed something perfect that is up to the task. It has many shortfalls. Everything can be improved upon .

PS. I wasn’t braking too much, the car was.
I started with full traction on, because Porsche said it wouldn’t interfere. Maybe not with slow guys, but it was interfering. I went to half off and it was much better for awhile. Now i am full traction control off and it is pure.

Like anything, there are steps and stages.

Sorry for treading in your little ego. 🤣
XLR82XS (04-18-2022)
Old 07-12-2020 | 02:32 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Irish996
Hi guys, whats currently the favourite pad for fast road use and a few track days for the base 991.2?

Front and back need changing.

Should I look at stainless lines whilst I’m at it?

Hope to eventually upgrade whole system but budget says just do pads for now.
I really like the OEM pads, good wear, pretty quiet and decent track performance for the occasional track day.

The Ferodo DS2500’s are the next step but will be noisier and more brake dust but have a higher temperature range.

After that its a full track pad, I have used Ferodo DS1.11 and Pagid RS-29’s. Both wear well but the DS1.11’s seem to be a bit better feel on track where the RS-29’s wear better.

I often recommend that dual purpose cars utelize a street and track pad which are changed before and after events. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a true street and track pad, its one or the other.

I have also used Carbotech, G-loc, Hawk, Brembo, Raybestos....... What you need to know is that you compare temperature ranges but not Mu. If you want to know what temperature you should shoot for use temperature indicating paint on your rotor vanes and pad edges. I prefer Endurance pads as the extra cost often pays dividends on rotor wear and longevity but they do lack initial bite. For mid and rear engine cars I lean toward a pad with low to medium initial bite and good modulation which really helps trail brake rotation. So the good news is nearly every manufacturer has a great options you just need to learn how to choose the best!
Old 04-18-2022 | 02:26 PM
Gregmendez
Advanced

How about a recommendation for low dust pads for aggressive street driving, and little to no track time?
Old 04-18-2022 | 02:37 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gregmendez
How about a recommendation for low dust pads for aggressive street driving, and little to no track time?
Hawk Ceramics have done fine for me on other cars, considering them for my 911, so I’d like to hear if anyone has experience with them. Typically I’ve seen them as slightly better than a lot of stock pads but with less dust, but like other posts here have said I would consider swapping to a track specific pad for HDPE and then swap back to street pad. I’ve found the stock Carrera brakes adequate in the canyons, even after repeated hard stops trying to get some fade. I’ll be flushing brake fluid soon to try and improve brake pedal feel, as it seems a bit soft, but the stock brakes do stop fine, almost like Porsche engineers actually know how to design a car or something.
Old 04-18-2022 | 05:46 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

I went with EBC Yellowstuff Pads on 991.2 S with sport package ( They are track pads that can be used on the street ).
No squeal whatsoever on the street,
I also went with Sebro rotors.... (Rennlist Forum Track Rats Favorite Rotor Company)
Tires are pilot sport cup 2's
Two things to note - the Yellow backing turned BROWN after the track day (most likely due to heat)
lots of break dust, Normal with Track Pads.

Last edited by snake eyes; 04-20-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Brake Pad recommendation.