Sponsored by:

Lift for maintenance and storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM
911NOLA
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lift for maintenance and storage

I am looking to purchase a lift that can be used for maintenance and storage. Is this realistic, especially when it comes to doing work from the sides that require wheels to be off of the car? I am concerned that even with a jack bridge to get the wheels off the surface that it may be cumbersome to work around the wheel area with the platform being in the way. I am also considering a four post and a Quickjack instead of the jack bridge, but I like the idea of having the car at "eye level" (its not as easy as it once was to work at floor level). I've even found myself wondering if a Quickjack, instead of the jack bridge, could be used with a four post lift. Please fire away with any thoughts or experience finding the best solution. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Pin It
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently installed a four post for storage and occasional maintenance work. I plan to use the quick jacks (had for a few years) when the wheels need to come off. I went with a Challenger Lift and the arms of bridge jack were not wide enough to lift any of my vehicles. The QJ fits nicely and I believe there are a few YouTube videos on using QJ's with a four post.

Sure wish I had this setup last year when doing a clutch job on the 944.

I would not be comfortable with storing a vehicle long-term on a two post lift, even with the posts securely anchored into the floor.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:33 PM
eicweiss
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a picture of what I believe you want to do. It's an Advantage Lift with the optional pneumatic/hydraulic jack. Works perfectly for me. Wheels are off the ramps and rocker panels are still very accessible. Door operator has since been changed to a side winder and lift has been moved forward for door clearance.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:31 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I have a bendpak-not recommended to bolt in unless you have a completely flat surface with no slope as the posts are designed to move a bit while operating. I can’t fit the bridge jack as my top car is too low. I use a pair of 4x6 pieces of wood instead (4x12 platform) and use that with jack stands.

Last edited by polobai; 07-07-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift for maintenance and storage