Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help deciding next mod for 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020 | 02:05 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Another curve ball option, you can go the same route as mdr911. He has a targa street car that he did his first ever track day in. I think he did a 2:18 at Buttonwillow cw13 config. He later got a 718 GTS to be the dedicated track car leaving the targa as the street car. He's gotten much much faster with experience and was around 2:03 in the Cayman last I chatted with him.
I have thought about a second car, but I just don't have the space at my current house. I think part of the reason a lot of us have 911's is because it can be a dual purpose car. Part of the challenge for me right now is finding the right balance and not swinging it too far in the direction of dedicated track car.
The following users liked this post:
CT_Peter (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:04 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Doing the center radiator is a great idea! We did one not too long ago. Also installed Rennline Grille Screens on the front and GIAC tuned!

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
marinb (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 03:40 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Norge911
2. GT3 lower control arms in front. Try 2.4 camber in front, zero toe, 1.9 camber in rear and .2 toe. This is a nice compromise for street and DE.
I thought I read that OEM 991 GT3 LCAs don't fit, and that you'd have to use 997 GT3 or 996 GT3 LCAs? Or go with an Elephant Racing or Tarett LCA Kit.
Old 06-30-2020 | 04:21 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marinb
I thought I read that OEM 991 GT3 LCAs don't fit, and that you'd have to use 997 GT3 or 996 GT3 LCAs? Or go with an Elephant Racing or Tarett LCA Kit.
they fit and TPC just posted mods they were doing to a 4S. Again, for small increment changes, DSC, wider tires, lower control arm, then maybe sway bars.
all these changes are good without compromising daily driving comfort.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1201...monoballs.html
marinb (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 04:31 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I won't chime in on what you next best mod is.... there is a lot of cool stuff out there.

But I will present our latest video, that will get you a lot of info on our product IF you were ever interested, but also educate you on Lithium in case you want to go that route in the future. Yes it long but it gets fairly in depth.

marinb (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 04:37 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

When my battery dies in 3 years, I will definitely go with Antigravity.
Old 06-30-2020 | 05:13 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

I have a Targa GTS that I track and daily. I also have an 04 911 cab I inherited that I started down the hole with too. I debate about putting a full cage and hard top in and leaving my GTS alone. It’s real expensive modding and maintaining two 911s but as to your topic. I bought the anti gravity battery this winter and it is a good battery, no complaints. It is not going to give you any noticeable gains anywhere alone. It will of course help to add up over time in removing weight which over time will make a difference as you keep shedding. Easy and painless mod. I wish I could find 350 more lbs to remove though. I debated on the GT2 seats, but did a Sparco seat that I swap in before going to track with a BKAuto harness bar and a 6 point harness. Also have a fire extinguisher mounted under pass seat. I just ordered the soul cats and waiting for them to come. My next thing after that will probably be LCAs and maybe a sleeve kit from KW Has or Elephant at the same time. For me I think it would give me a noticeable difference as I destroy the shoulder of my cup 2 tires and have some understeer that I would like to try and dial out. With PDCC there is not much I can do for that except what I just listed or possibly full coilovers which I have no plans to do. I think DSC sounds promising but all the reviews talk about how much better it rides on the street which is of no interest to me so that is further back on list. A tune I imagine will boost your times, but it is not high on my list either. I hit a plateau at Barber with a 1:41 that I cant seem to budge under. Forked out the money for Porsche Masters program at Barber next week to learn something from Pros. Maybe something in that is helpful...
Old 06-30-2020 | 05:23 PM
polobai
Drifting

I have the center radiator as well-for me living close to the center of the sun (South Florida)-I like to have the extra cooling capacity and it will also help if I can ever make it to the track.
Old 06-30-2020 | 06:14 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I think DSC sounds promising but all the reviews talk about how much better it rides on the street which is of no interest to me so that is further back on list.
Exactly why I haven't done it yet.

It sounds like you're in a similar boat as I am, haha.

Based on this thread, now I'm thinking center radiator and LCAs first. Just doing the LCAs will get me a step in the right direction before committing to a full suspension setup. Also, I will likely do the Antigravity battery at some point soon just to keep down the path of shedding weight.
Old 06-30-2020 | 07:03 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

The DSC controller comes into its own on the track. Yes it makes the street better but the harder your pushing the car the more you’ll appreciate the DSC controller. I would do 3rd radiator, DSC and screens first. Then the other handling upgrades. Then additional brake cooling (you’ve already done the Giro disc upgrade). Then power.

my 2 cents
marinb (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 07:43 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Doing the center radiator is a great idea! We did one not too long ago. Also installed Rennline Grille Screens on the front and GIAC tuned!

Did you cut the horizontal black bars out of the side radiator holes in bumper?

polobai (09-21-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 08:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I will take this in another direction. Assume you will perform all of the listed mod. What is the out the door cost for parts and labor? Will you compromise your warranty?

Do you really want a GT3 or GT3 RS?
Old 06-30-2020 | 08:40 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
I will take this in another direction. Assume you will perform all of the listed mod. What is the out the door cost for parts and labor? Will you compromise your warranty?
Good question. I probably will end up doing most of them over time, just because it's hard to stop the modding bug. I do think about warranty a bit, so that's also part of why tune is last on the list. Cost is not so much a factor just because I DIY most things, so it's really just parts (and if I sell the car, maybe I can get part of those costs back re-selling the parts).

Originally Posted by Jack F
Do you really want a GT3 or GT3 RS?
I do like the GTS a lot, and a manual is a must. But I definitely do love the 991.2 GT3 and Touring. However, because of space, I really need a dual duty car with rear seats that I can use for the kids too. Otherwise, a GT3 + Fun Daily would be a good replacement combo for the GTS.
Old 06-30-2020 | 08:44 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marinb
However, because of space, I really need a dual duty car with rear seats that I can use for the kids too.
Right there with you on the back seats and kids. Wife makes sure to point this out everytime I bring up GT3 and I have no rebuttal.
Old 06-30-2020 | 08:59 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Right there with you on the back seats and kids. Wife makes sure to point this out everytime I bring up GT3 and I have no rebuttal.
If there is a 4 seater 992 GT3 Touring, it will be very hard to resist, even though I really prefer the exterior and interior of the 991.2.

Quick Reply: help deciding next mod for 991.2 GTS