Sponsored by:

2017 991s VS 4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020 | 08:54 AM
Shekhar
6th Gear

Default 2017 991s VS 4s

Hi,
I live in Indiana, looking at buying a used 991.2 for using around the year except in snow. Would a 4S serve me better than an S? Thanks for comments/ suggestions.
Old 06-26-2020 | 10:12 AM
Sal635
Instructor

This is highly personal. I like having the 4. It isn't significantly heavier and it is rear wheel biased. It is a ton of fun to drive and I love the added traction. What I recommend is to drive both and see what speaks to you more.; With the engine being over the rear wheel you will have good traction even with a 2. I also recommend you drive the 991.1 and the 991.2. They are quite different and you may find one speaks to you more than the other. Also worht considering, unles you get a GTS the only way to get a widebody on the 991 Carerra is with a 4. The 2wd will be narrow bodied.

Lastly, the interior makes a huge difference on these cars. Try and find one with full leather or if you get a GTS, the GTS package. It makes a HUGE difference in the place you will spend the most time... inside the car!

Good luck!

PS: The 991 got bigger than the 997 but it is lighter. Don't let anyone tell you the car is big and bloated. It's the better car and in my opinion the best modern 911!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sal635:
Catharpin (06-26-2020), rockrdude (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020 | 12:34 PM
Franz Hayek
Intermediate

I too have a 4S. I live in suburban Chicago and drive my car year-round. I don't purposely take it out after a big snow, but I drive it in the rain, sleet, etc. A friend with several 911's suggested the handling and traction might be better for a first time 911 owner when compared to a "S". He said the S might be more squirrelly, perhaps less sure-footedness My car seems bombproof, holds a line through a turn as if on rails and inspires confidence.

A test drive should help with your decision making process.

Best,
Old 06-26-2020 | 01:27 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

You would really need to drive it and see if it works for you. I personally don't like the front end feel of a 4 (or 4S), especially at speed, they just push more than I like. Some others think the front end feel is much better.

The only other thing to consider is the widebody aspect. If you like the wider rear hips, the 4S will be more attractive to you. If you prefer the narrow bodies, the S will be.

A C2S is very capable in all conditions as well (well aside from snow, I've never tried to drive one in the snow yet), so while there is probably some upside to the AWD nature of it, I wouldn't buy one solely for that purpose.

Like most things, it's all down to personal preference.
Old 06-26-2020 | 01:51 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shekhar
Hi,
I live in Indiana, looking at buying a used 991.2 for using around the year except in snow. Would a 4S serve me better than an S? Thanks for comments/ suggestions.
If you plan to drive it all year round, then yes IMO a 4S would serve you better. I drive my 4S all year in NH and use 19 inch winter tires. Still not that ideal when the road is snow-covered because of the wide 295 rears. In sleet or icy conditions, it is a real handful and the back end comes out easily. Clearance is also an issue.
Old 06-26-2020 | 04:19 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

If you plan to winter drive it, go for the 4S, otherwise don't.
Old 06-26-2020 | 04:34 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

A common misperception that the 4 Wheel Drive in a Porsche is for winter driving. It's not. I mean, sure you can do that with it, but you'll have to put on snows in the winter. Winter tires will make a 2-WD 911 perfectly adequate as well in the white stuff. You will high side out from the low undercarriage at a certain snow depth anyways.

What the 4WD is really made for - is powering out of corners like God's Own Slingshot. I kid you not. Having owned both models there is nothing that comes out of a fast corner with a huge fun factor than an all-wheel drive car. Put a set of Pilot Cups on one and go to the track, then take your friends for hot laps, you will both be giggling ridiculously because you won't believe the traction and exit speed. In particular, I recommend VIR in the section they call the Roller Coaster down to Hog Pen - HUGE FUN. The All-Wheel drive 911's just fly through there, while the 2WD ones are all chirping tires, oversteering and making a big fuss - the Carrera 4's are just flat out gone through that segment and down the main straight..
Old 06-26-2020 | 04:44 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
A common misperception that the 4 Wheel Drive in a Porsche is for winter driving. It's not. I mean, sure you can do that with it, but you'll have to put on snows in the winter. Winter tires will make a 2-WD 911 perfectly adequate as well in the white stuff. You will high side out from the low undercarriage at a certain snow depth anyways.

What the 4WD is really made for - is powering out of corners like God's Own Slingshot. I kid you not. Having owned both models there is nothing that comes out of a fast corner with a huge fun factor than an all-wheel drive car. Put a set of Pilot Cups on one and go to the track, then take your friends for hot laps, you will both be giggling ridiculously because you won't believe the traction and exit speed. In particular, I recommend VIR in the section they call the Roller Coaster down to Hog Pen - HUGE FUN. The All-Wheel drive 911's just fly through there, while the 2WD ones are all chirping tires, oversteering and making a big fuss - the Carrera 4's are just flat out gone down the main straight..
911 are great cornering cars to begin with and none of the GT cars are AWD. So take that for what it's worth. It really comes down to winter driving, they are worth the price for daily winter driving.
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (01-25-2024)
Old 06-27-2020 | 02:14 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

I’ve had a 991.1 2S and now have a 991.2 4S. I purchased them at the Exchange where my sales guy drives a 991 2S all year round, he just puts on winter tires. I bought the 4S because I like the wide body and I had not owned one (owned a turbo but that’s a different animal). I have not tracked for 4S but I agree with the comments about getting on the power early in the 4S. I have not experienced the understeer (push) mentioned but I have not pushed the car to that level. I have driven 4’s in the past and did not like them because you could feel the weight in the front. The 991.2 has enough HP and torque that it’s not as obvious imo. I love mine; in fact if I could not have both I’d sell my GT3 Touring and keep the 4S. Fortunately I can have both...
Old 06-28-2020 | 09:42 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I love my 991.1 C4S but Audi Quattro it is not.

I've had the C4S in snow a handful of times and it's quite confident but it's very rear biassed so keep that in mind.

I've had multiple Audi Quattro cars and there is no other for ****ty weather including some deep snow.

Quick Reply: 2017 991s VS 4s