991.2 Performance Upgrade - Softronic

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020 | 10:55 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuisMa
I understand all of that. I just want to have data in my hands (from other users would be even better) as to which is the superior tune for the 991.2 S/4S, yours or APR. I’ve read plenty of user feedback and company responses from APR, however as much as I’ve searched through this forum, and in the rest of the internet, can’t seem to find much info on yours in regards to the aforementioned platform . And the scarce info I’ve found on yours is conflictive. For example, your website lists the following peak power numbers for the 991.2 S:
  • 2017+ Carrera S and GTS with 3.0 liter DFI engine
3.0 DFI S

Base BHP 420
Base TQ 368
Tuned BHP 560
Tuned TQ 571

And you list those same exact numbers for Tuned GTS. However Soul PP lists the following numbers under their Softronic tune:
  • 2017+ Carrera S and GTS with 3.0 liter DFI engine
3.0 DFI S

Base BHP 420
Base TQ 368
Tuned BHP 512
Tuned TQ 498

I just want some clarity, so that I’m able to make an educated choice on where to spend my hard earned dollars. Thanks for your attention.
The answer is simple.. They have the wrong figures listed for 93 Octane and need to correct them.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Last edited by Softronic; 06-16-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: text
Old 06-16-2020 | 01:25 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by Softronic
The answer is simple.. They have the wrong figures listed for 93 Octane and need to correct them.

Best,
Scott
Scott, I am beginning to believe that you are feeding baloney sandwiches.

Your'e website shows the same power increase figures for the 420HP Carrera S as the 450HP Carrera GTS. The two cars have entirely different turbo systems and most certainly do not have the same power potential.
Old 06-16-2020 | 05:55 AM
Jesse_911T
Advanced

Hey guys, I'll jump in here as a Softronic customer. First off you make some good points about numbers on the site, maybe there's an error there. I actually think those numbers seem high for the S. I'll also note that APR doesn't even have a tune for the S yet, and just came out with one for the GTS like less than a month ago. Nothing wrong with APR, I was very interested in them and even talked with Tyler some. My main personal choice of Softronic over APR was ability to tune myself at home and yrs experience....Softronic=30yrs+, APR=1.5yrs.

Initially I was also concerned about Dyno or actual data but figured tune is tune and if it performs how I want then I'm happy. That's exactly what I am now.

My car has BMC Filter and Soul Cat Bypass. It's a Manual 2019 911T. Here's my real world experience from the track this past weekend. I was at a private event at Big Willow (fastest road in the west).

On the front straight I came into the corner and did point by's to a few cars you would expect to be much faster and they were not able to catch me on a pull up to 130mph. Most were very surprised and sparked some good conversations. Here are the cars that could not catch me but held pretty similar pulls.
991.2 GTS - I was clearly faster.
991.2 GT3 Manual
991.1 GT3 PDK
2019 C8 Corvette

Also I had several times with a WOT shift into 4th gear going 80-90 where I broke the tires loose and traction kicked in. Insane torque after the tune.

I'd be interested to try the APR tune since there's a lot of debate out here on it, but I'm not buying it just for comparison sake. Anyone have one on a T here in Socal, let's meet up for a swap.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jesse_911T:
GT3FZS (06-16-2020), mikesT (06-16-2020), Trapperj (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020 | 11:08 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jesse_911T
Hey guys, I'll jump in here as a Softronic customer. First off you make some good points about numbers on the site, maybe there's an error there. I actually think those numbers seem high for the S. I'll also note that APR doesn't even have a tune for the S yet, and just came out with one for the GTS like less than a month ago. Nothing wrong with APR, I was very interested in them and even talked with Tyler some. My main personal choice of Softronic over APR was ability to tune myself at home and yrs experience....Softronic=30yrs+, APR=1.5yrs.

Initially I was also concerned about Dyno or actual data but figured tune is tune and if it performs how I want then I'm happy. That's exactly what I am now.

My car has BMC Filter and Soul Cat Bypass. It's a Manual 2019 911T. Here's my real world experience from the track this past weekend. I was at a private event at Big Willow (fastest road in the west).

On the front straight I came into the corner and did point by's to a few cars you would expect to be much faster and they were not able to catch me on a pull up to 130mph. Most were very surprised and sparked some good conversations. Here are the cars that could not catch me but held pretty similar pulls.
991.2 GTS - I was clearly faster.
991.2 GT3 Manual
991.1 GT3 PDK
2019 C8 Corvette

Also I had several times with a WOT shift into 4th gear going 80-90 where I broke the tires loose and traction kicked in. Insane torque after the tune.

I'd be interested to try the APR tune since there's a lot of debate out here on it, but I'm not buying it just for comparison sake. Anyone have one on a T here in Socal, let's meet up for a swap.
A 991.2 GT3 manual will dyno at "455-460whp" (At Dundon's). C8 would be similar.
Do you time your laps and have any peak speeds crossing the finish line?
Old 06-16-2020 | 02:26 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
A 991.2 GT3 manual will dyno at "455-460whp" (At Dundon's). C8 would be similar.
That is similar power of a Base .2 with a 93 Oct tune. E85 he'd have the cars by 30-50whp. While APR says down pipes dont give any power, he is catless and I feel in my butt dyno they help ever so slightly. I would bet he'd have the GT3 on tq by a lot but would be similar tq as the C8.

Still I think draggy data would be the best indicator on a cars 'street' performance.
Old 06-16-2020 | 03:20 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Originally Posted by fsmich
He's in your neck of the woods, perhaps he would like to use your Dragy to grab some GPS data.
Old 06-16-2020 | 05:02 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
He's in your neck of the woods, perhaps he would like to use your Dragy to grab some GPS data.
Yes, Jessie_911T you're welcome to borrow my dragy if you want to check performance.
If you don't want to drive to Tustin, there is always Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-16-2020 | 07:22 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

FWIW traction will not break loose at 80-90MPH with a WOT shift into fourth. More than likely the DME closed the throttle plate and pulled back timing for tuning protection.
Old 06-16-2020 | 11:45 PM
Jesse_911T
Advanced

Lot's of responses here today. Been a busy day for me. A few comments back. I'm in CA so I'm running 91 octane unfortunately. But so were the other cars. I'm guessing (no data) that with tune and cat delete I'm just under 500hp and close to 500ftlb Tq. 991.2 GT3 is 493hp so that's pretty close but I'm much higher in the Torque and can get it across rev range. Not saying my T is better than a GT3 or anything..I'd trade in a heartbeat, but that's the estimation and why I'm likely faster or same in straight line pull. The .2 GTS is 450hp and 405ftlb. Since I'm faster it would put me above those numbers being on same platform and same engine.

@fsmich I'm in San Clemente so not too far from Tustin. Could borrow the Dragy but I'll be out of town the next week. Maybe connect in July. Since my tune is set up to stay at OEM boost levels in Normal mode, I could do a run in Normal and one in Sport+ with Launch control and Tune impact.

@cheshi143 Have you taken a 911 to the track on P4S or P0 tires? I'm not saying I broke tires loose on a cold street in straight drag at 90. FWIW my *** cheeks clenching can assure you the tires broke loose almost every lap in 2 locations on 3 for 4 shift on this track. When the tires get hot track temp and track is hot, car is running hard and you are pitching the car slightly on corner exit it's not that crazy to break traction. The car shifted on clutch release and traction light kicked on. Not trying to gloat, just making a point that the torque is pretty insane. Not something you can fully enjoy on the road.
Old 06-17-2020 | 12:12 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello All,
Softronic has corrected the 991.2S power gains as they had been incorrectly shown. When we ran the figures for the Base 3.0ltr engine the turbo characteristics for the S had mistakenly been inserted as the GTS turbo profile as well . While the S has a larger turbo than the base T that increase has been corrected . Sorry for the confusion.

Best,
Scott
Old 06-18-2020 | 01:28 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Scott for the clarification on the HP and TQ figures.
I am meeting up with Bob MacFarlane in July to gets a "demo ride" in his 911T with the Softronic tune and Soul Sport Cats.
Will help me lock in my decision on a tune, and go forward with the install. I did have the Soul Cats installed at Sewickley Porsche in May, very pleased.

Old 12-22-2020 | 12:12 AM
jeffucd
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3FZS
Thanks, Scott for the clarification on the HP and TQ figures.
I am meeting up with Bob MacFarlane in July to gets a "demo ride" in his 911T with the Softronic tune and Soul Sport Cats.
Will help me lock in my decision on a tune, and go forward with the install. I did have the Soul Cats installed at Sewickley Porsche in May, very pleased.
After a lot of reading on RL I also decided to get a Softronic tune. Any updates from those that have tried it since the summer?
Old 12-22-2020 | 08:03 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Macfarlane
In the search to improve performance of my 2018 Carrera T I contacted the service manager from my local Porsche dealer (Sewickley Porsche). I went to them since they build and service many Porsches that are routinely driven/raced on various tracks in and around the Pittsburgh and Mid-Atlantic area. With their input and input from local Porsche car club members I decided to try Softronic's DME(ECU) performance upgrade. I contacted Scott from Softronic and immediate realized after talking with him for 5 minutes that he is an expert in reading and modifying Porsche codes to improve performance and still maintain vehicle reliability. He informed me that he has been working on improving the performance of Porsches (daily drivers and race cars) for over 30 years (I don't any other Tuner that can make that claim).

I received the MyGenius device within 2 days from the date ordered. The devise is used to download the original stock file and upload the modified file to the car. This requires the user to update the MyGenius software to a laptop/computer, load the car's original file onto the MyGenius device, and then email the file back to Softronic. Two days after I received the modified file from Softronic I immediately uploaded the file to my car. The entire process very easy if you have basic computer skills. It took approximately 45 - 60 minutes to complete the entire process from start to end. I also did not have to go to the dealer or any other 3rd party installation facility to install the file. Note: if taking your car back to the Porsche dealer for warranty motor/transmission work or if an updated flash is required by Porsche I would recommend that you reinstall the original Porsche file if your warranty is still in effect. The dealer should not be able to see any changes to the file since it was the original file that Porsche installed in the car in the first place. Again I am again unaware of any other tuner that does this.

The improved performance was amazing as the horsepower (hp) went from 370 to 485 (increase of 115 hp) and torque (tq) went from 331 to 498 (increase of 167 lbs.). Where else can you obtain this increase in the amount of hp/tq for $1595. I was so impressed with the performance that I also purchased the DME/ECU performance upgrade for my Cayenne Diesel. Same results - major increase in hp and tq. Fun factor with driving a large and heavy SUV has just doubled.

Highly recommend Softronic an easy way to upgrade performance and you can do it yourself. Contact Scott at Softronic if you have any questions regarding his product.
This question is for Scott @ Softronic.

I BOLDED a section above specifically to find out if that statement is correct. My understanding is the the ECU keeps count of the times it's memory has been flashed and if this number differs from what Porsche has in the DB for that SNd ECU, the car will be flagged by Porsche (not the dealer) as moddified; which can lead to them denying any warranty related failures (and yes I'm aware of the MO act).

I'm curious to know the answer, as I have been waiting for my factory warranty to elapse before upgrading, and may do it sooner, if I can do so without jeopardizing the warranty.

TIA.

Larry

Quick Reply: 991.2 Performance Upgrade - Softronic