Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche driving experience. Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

I'd be very interested to try out the 992. Guy on YouTube (Auto Amateur) has a friend with a red 992 with the aerokit he featured on his show not too long ago. First one in the U.S. and I love how it looks. The interior is another matter. Can't stand the handheld razor or the video screen gauges though. Taycan is worse, imo.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:14 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Well, neither of us have any track experience. So we're really open to anything that will be informative and fun. And since we'll be making a mini-vacation of it, it would be nice if there were fun areas to explore as well.
I think if you go in with that attitude, you'll have fun. I will say that if the COVID restrictions mean there is no instructor, then it's maybe not quite as good (if you're looking for ways to improve as a driver) but I have done the AMG track days (free with purchase of an AMG at Laguna Seca, etc - Porsche should consider doing something similar) and those are lead/follow, so if they can do it as well as AMG can, it'll still be fun.

At the very least, you'll walk out with a smile on your face and you'll start to understand the capabilities of these cars even more.
The following users liked this post:
SConn (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 317 Posts

I'd be very interested to try out the 992. Guy on YouTube (Auto Amateur) has a friend with a red 992 with the aerokit he featured on his show not too long ago. First one in the U.S. and I love how it looks. The interior is another matter. Can't stand the handheld razor or the video screen gauges though. Taycan is worse, imo.
I actually did a PECLA day with the 992s earlier this year. I don't mind the interior styling but none of that matters on the track anyhow. More to your point - I DD a 991.1 and I've done a few track days with 991.2s and I gotta say the performance of the 992S was VERY impressive. You don't really feel the additional weight IMO but the front end feel is fantastic and the brakes are incredible. My car had RWS which was new for me and definitely helped make for even better "lap times" but it took some getting used to for sure.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 288 Posts

Would you all agree November is a good time to go?
If you do ATL go mid October and hit up the Petit LeMans IMSA season finale. 10 hours/1000mi endurance race. You will be glad you did.
The following 2 users liked this post by Catharpin:
darylbowden (06-03-2020), SConn (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:07 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

I really do appreciate all the great feedback guys! Thank you!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:39 PM
jonas hex
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by darylbowden
Done the PECLA experience a few times. All three times I did mid vs rear module (that's what they tend to sell to corporate parties it seems). Which tells you that i didn't pay for them, my vendors did (thanks Salesforce!).

I wouldn't pay for it myself but it is still a fun way to kill a couple hours but if you're already someone with a lot of racing or track experience, you'll probably be a little frustrated. The launch control module is dumb, nothing is less exciting than launching a car in a straight line by yourself. Skidpad is kinda fun but after a few goes around is again pretty simple and gets old. For me, the actual "track" (the regular racetrack part, not the slick track, etc) and getting lap times lower and lower is what is fun. If you have a good instructor they will let you do whichever of the modules you want for as long as you want and they do give good instruction. BUT there are no "lap times" (you can't actually time them) and you will run into traffic (VERY SLOW traffic) almost every lap. So it's fun in terms of just getting some track time in and learning the characteristics of each car, but you're not gonna go 100% (more like max 75%) and you will likely be the only one going near that fast so be prepared to be waiting for people to pull over a lot.
interestingly, you can say that you were lucky with the payments or it was a gift
Old 11-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,130 Likes on 675 Posts

Old 11-10-2020, 04:38 PM
jackporsche09
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a gift certificate to the Porsche experience total value $600 willing to let it go for a fair price no expiration good at any of their 3 tracks

Last edited by jackporsche09; 11-10-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PM Sent

PM Sent please contact me very interested.

Originally Posted by jackporsche09
I have a gift certificate to the Porsche experience total value $600 willing to let it go for a fair price no expiration good at any of their 3 tracks

Quick Reply: Porsche driving experience. Anyone done it?