Upgrading from a 981 to a 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 AM
caymanlife
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from a 981 to a 991.2

Hey all,

I've decided its time to make the jump from my 981 to a 991.2 s. Had a few questions that I was hoping you guys can help me out with.

1. C2S vs C4S. I live in sunny California so don't need to worry about snow, but I really like the look of the c4s with the light bar. How much of a difference is it in terms of handling in good conditions.

2. Options: Are there any must have options? So far for me, my must haves are:
- Sports chrono, sports exhaust, PASM, premium package w/14-way seats. Sunroof would be amazing but not a deal breaker. Looking for one w/PDK

3. Used vs CPO:
I would definitely feel safer with CPO, but is it ok to go with used? What kind of common repairs (and costs) would I run into, if any and are there any red flags I should look out for when searching for a used 991.2.

4. Mileage. I know the lower the better, but whats a "good" mileage on a used 991.2

5. Price. I know it varies between used and CPO but whats a good price range for a 991.2 C2S? Prefer cars bought from/driven in California only.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated as well. Pretty excited for this big upgrade!
Old 06-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

C4 is very planted and stale. If you like to break the rear loose, then C2.
SPASM is very nice and very compliant at least on the 991.2 GTS. 18 way seats need to be considered.
I would not buy a NON CPO 911. Maybe used and Fidelity warranty.
Cars need to be driven so 3 miles/ year would be good since the previous owner would have had the opportunity to shake the car down.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM
infinitest
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

I've driven a GTS and 4 GTS back-to-back on a windy mountain road. My thoughts:

- Regular GTS front end felt a bit light
- Regular GTS steering felt a bit lighter
- Regular GTS felt like the rear would swing out more readily if that's what you're into

The 4 GTS felt better to me. More weight up front helps balance the car, more weight up front helps with steering weight and feel, and the AWD really helps you claw your way out of corners. I can get on the gas much sooner in the 4 GTS than the regular GTS and as a result I was much faster through corners with it.

There's an added bonus of extra traction when it rains and if you decide to go up to Tahoe and it lightly snows. Not sure what your price range is, but I'm in the South Bay and am selling my C4 GTS: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1194697

Last edited by infinitest; 06-01-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from a 981 to a 991.2