Sponsored by:

Exhaust Advice Needed - Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I am happy with my T exhaust as well.

The pops and bangs do get a little tiring but a flip of the switch later and they are gone with a different driving mode. A tune can also dial that in.

Different exhaust seems to lead to a lot more turbo noise at low rpm and around town. This is one potential downside or upside depending on how you look at it.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:10 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinthickey
So I'm about 6 months into my 2019 Carrera T ownership and LOVING it. But if I'm being picky, I'm struggling with the exhaust note. It has PSE obviously, but in normal mode, it sounds a bit muted. In sport mode, its got he manufactured pops which sound cool for a couple minutes of driving but I find them a bit annoying and fake after a while. I just want to bring things up a slight notch, without sacrifice of any HP/torque and also be able to put back to stock easily. I also don't want to spend $6k for some crazy full exhaust.

So 2 questions:
1. Should I just shut up and enjoy the drive?
2. Should I make an adjustment, and if so, what should I do?

Prior to this, I've had a handful of 997s, and have had fister exhausts on them and found that exhaust note to be well, perfect.
For reference, I live within 10 minute driving distance of Fabspeed, Soul Performance and AWE.
Thank you so much for your suggestions, even if they are just to enjoy it "as is"

Kevin
Turbo's act as mufflers. A turbo charged car is always going to be quieter than an N/A car. The Porsche flat six with turbos is especially quiet.

I would highly suggest going with a system that deletes the muffler along with switching to HJS hi flow cats. The four options are the Shark Works, Soul, Fabsoeed and Speedtech. I have the Speedtech with HJS catsand love it. I actually wish it was louder. I could not imagine getting an aftermarket exhaust system with mufflers, because the muffler delete is not that loud. I think you would be disappointed going with a system with a muffler.

This is what I have on my T:
http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_042.htm

Here is the Shark Werks:
https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...-s-gts-SHAX506

Soul:
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...-back-exhaust/

Fabspeed:
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991...pipe-pse-only/

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2020, 03:30 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
I actually wish it was louder.
Add these:
https://www.vektorperformance.com/sh...ormance-header

I haven't seen the SpeedTech exhaust before. Looks interesting.
The following users liked this post:
Tay101 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Add these:
https://www.vektorperformance.com/sh...ormance-header

I haven't seen the SpeedTech exhaust before. Looks interesting.
Yes! I think adding those headers is the next step.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:19 PM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Vektor Perf. Headers are a must. Only equal length readily available and the quality is over the top.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:34 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 196 Posts

I’m glad I found this thread. I love my new-to-me T, but the sound is asthmatic most of the time. Once in a while I hit the perfect Goldilocks zone of RPM, engine load, speed, and boost and it sounds great, but it’s rare.

My overarching T mod philosophy is to add lightness wherever I can, so removing the muffler sounds like a win-win. I’m now debating which of the aforementioned turbo-back setups to go with. I will be going with high flow cats because that’s the right thing to do. I’ve listened to all the video clips but doubt that they’re accurate representations given the various microphones used, digital compression, etc.

The SpeedTech, Fabspeed, and Shark Werks are all cross-pipes while the Soul is straight turbo-back.

Can anyone who has experienced the cross-pipes and the straight-pipes described the difference? More turbo sound, more rumble, more drama is really what I’m looking for.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
Turbo's act as mufflers. A turbo charged car is always going to be quieter than an N/A car. The Porsche flat six with turbos is especially quiet.
^ Only sort of true.

You need a ride in a Ruf CTR, which sounds like a 3.0-liter RSR. Told a friend, who didn't believe me. A few weeks later, riding through SF, he looks over and exclaims, "Dude, this thing sounds like an RSR!" I fought the urge to say the obvious, and just smiled. There are other examples, from a garden Fiat 500 Abarth to a Ferrari F40.

So there are ways to make turbo cars louder and, more importantly, sound great. The latter is more difficult than the former, however…
Old 01-31-2021, 09:33 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Only sort of true.

You need a ride in a Ruf CTR, which sounds like a 3.0-liter RSR. Told a friend, who didn't believe me. A few weeks later, riding through SF, he looks over and exclaims, "Dude, this thing sounds like an RSR!" I fought the urge to say the obvious, and just smiled. There are other examples, from a garden Fiat 500 Abarth to a Ferrari F40.

So there are ways to make turbo cars louder and, more importantly, sound great. The latter is more difficult than the former, however…
Yup.... External wastegate dump is basically just straight exhaust before the gasses go through the turbine. Very very loud. I was lucky enough to see the RUF Yellowbird at the Petersen auto museum and noticed the external dump setup on it.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:00 PM
sdsc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Man
I’m glad I found this thread. I love my new-to-me T, but the sound is asthmatic most of the time. Once in a while I hit the perfect Goldilocks zone of RPM, engine load, speed, and boost and it sounds great, but it’s rare.

My overarching T mod philosophy is to add lightness wherever I can, so removing the muffler sounds like a win-win. I’m now debating which of the aforementioned turbo-back setups to go with. I will be going with high flow cats because that’s the right thing to do. I’ve listened to all the video clips but doubt that they’re accurate representations given the various microphones used, digital compression, etc.

The SpeedTech, Fabspeed, and Shark Werks are all cross-pipes while the Soul is straight turbo-back.

Can anyone who has experienced the cross-pipes and the straight-pipes described the difference? More turbo sound, more rumble, more drama is really what I’m looking for.
Stock PSE is also a straight pipe, no merge. Sharkwerks may look like a cross design, but the flow does not cross paths.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:06 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C2s

I started my journey with Soul sport cats and BMC filter.... loved the sounds with my PSE.

Got Cobb involved and things got interesting at the track and in the road... loved the sounds and the power.

Then went on to get Kline headers and changed soul sport cats to bypass pipes... HOLY COW!!!!!!!

In sports mode the sounds are intoxicating....

My only issue is the darn CEL... but gonna throw on some soul spacers some time in the next week or so...
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by sdsc
Stock PSE is also a straight pipe, no merge. Sharkwerks may look like a cross design, but the flow does not cross paths.
Interesting—you’re spot on. They cross but they don’t intersect.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice Needed - Carrera T