Sponsored by:

Sensor ready status for smog check

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 PM
btchin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sensor ready status for smog check

I recently went in for a smog check, was told my sensors weren’t in ready status, and was told to complete a drive cycle. I hooked up my durametric and found it does not show ready status. Durametric support said ready status does not show on their devices for any 991s, and they don’t know if any way to check ready status other than with porsche factory tools.

does anyone know if this is true, or is there a way I can check ready status prior to going back in again for smog?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

yes, pretty much most inexpensive handheld ODBII code readers do. Just went through this on my cayenne diesel. Had to run a DPF clear and tool over 500 miles!!!! I have an older harbor freight model that is a rebadged Autel... works fine for basic code reading and readiness.

Amazon Amazon

OK to be fair I've not used one on a 991, but I have on a 981, new Macan, 997, new VW, etc. These are standard ODB codes.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

My Autel has works fine on the 991.2
Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the "sensors not ready" issue for vehicle inspection in 2017. I was told to drive the car a bit, and come back in a week. Well, I ended-up taking the car back, and once again the response was sensors not ready! Told again, keep driving the car and come back. What do you think happened? Yep, I went back and got the same issue! Look at what my carfax says.... Took five visits and darn near 1,000 miles before they could complete the smog! No one at the dealership Service Dept could explain to me what was keeping the car sensors from going into a "ready" state! Weird, huh? Subsequent years no such issues at all....

Meanwhile, all that driving (more than normal for me with this GTS!) and everything was perfect, no indication of any issues, no warning lights, nothing! Will probably raise some questions from prospective buyers I am sure!
Old 05-20-2020, 02:40 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

I found this link which seems to have some Porsche-specified drive patterns that can be used to ensure the loop closes and puts it into a ready state.

https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...BDII-Not-Ready
Old 05-20-2020, 03:13 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I found this link which seems to have some Porsche-specified drive patterns that can be used to ensure the loop closes and puts it into a ready state.

https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...BDII-Not-Ready
Thank you for posting that -- quite interesting. Also that the article was specific report from a '15 GTS, which is what I had this very issue with! Surprising however, is that my service team at the dealer didn't explain it in this way. Sure, they did say the OBDII check failed to be "ready" and that a drive cycle was necessary -- but they only offered that either a) I leave my car with them for 2-3 days so they could drive the car until it went into ready state, or b) that I go home, drive it for a few days, then come back. 4 times this went on. While the article on smogtips.com paints a picture of "just do these four things" and the cycle loop closes -- That obviously wasn't the case here, rather, it took nearly 1k miles of driving (off all types, all conditions that numerous times over should have check the cycle boxes) before the loop closed in my case. Very odd but learned something new today!!!!
Thanks @darylbowden !
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Thank you for posting that -- quite interesting. Also that the article was specific report from a '15 GTS, which is what I had this very issue with! Surprising however, is that my service team at the dealer didn't explain it in this way. Sure, they did say the OBDII check failed to be "ready" and that a drive cycle was necessary -- but they only offered that either a) I leave my car with them for 2-3 days so they could drive the car until it went into ready state, or b) that I go home, drive it for a few days, then come back. 4 times this went on. While the article on smogtips.com paints a picture of "just do these four things" and the cycle loop closes -- That obviously wasn't the case here, rather, it took nearly 1k miles of driving (off all types, all conditions that numerous times over should have check the cycle boxes) before the loop closed in my case. Very odd but learned something new today!!!!
Thanks @darylbowden !
I was told that the porsche drive cycle wasnt like what that link says. That is exactly what BMW drive cycle is, When I had my battery replaced I followed that and all monitors were set and ready in about an hour or maybe 15-20 miles of driving. Prior to I drove for a week to only get plugged in and told monitors arent ready yet. The thing is, BMW has this in their documentation I couldnt find anything like this that porsche has that tells you 'this is how you set sensor readiness state'
Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
I was told that the porsche drive cycle wasnt like what that link says. That is exactly what BMW drive cycle is, When I had my battery replaced I followed that and all monitors were set and ready in about an hour or maybe 15-20 miles of driving. Prior to I drove for a week to only get plugged in and told monitors arent ready yet. The thing is, BMW has this in their documentation I couldnt find anything like this that porsche has that tells you 'this is how you set sensor readiness state'
FWIW, I found this in the 996 RL forum here which is very similar to the other link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13818633

I don't have any direct experience myself but it looks like 996 and 997 folks have had success with it. YMM (literally) V.
The following users liked this post:
Alansglide (05-29-2021)
Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 PM
btchin
Intermediate

mine is also a 2015 GTS. does anyone know of an OBD II reader that will definitely show ready status for 991.1s? it would be nice to know its ready rather than to have to make multiple trips. also, anyone know why would durametric not show ready status if it's possible with other readers?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Durametric should do it, look under Ready Status
( from durametric manual)

Under engine module find Ready
Ready Status
Ready status, or “readiness,” is an indication by the car’s on-board diagnostics (OBD) of the status of several emissions monitors. Required on all USA cars since 1996, the readiness monitors check the emission control system and its components. If the emission control system is not “ready,” the car cannot legitimately meet emissions test standards. Several factors can cause a vehicle’s ready status to be “not ready.” Some factors include: • Recent fault code clearance • Recent battery disconnect • A pending problem with the emission control system To meet readiness conditions, you must drive the car through a specific drive cycle. The drive cycle varies by make and model and includes driving through a range of conditions, engine speeds, and loads. Check your service manual and local emissions requirements for details.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 PM
btchin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arter
Durametric should do it, look under Ready Status
( from durametric manual)

Under engine module find Ready
Ready Status
Ready status, or “readiness,” is an indication by the car’s on-board diagnostics (OBD) of the status of several emissions monitors. Required on all USA cars since 1996, the readiness monitors check the emission control system and its components. If the emission control system is not “ready,” the car cannot legitimately meet emissions test standards. Several factors can cause a vehicle’s ready status to be “not ready.” Some factors include: • Recent fault code clearance • Recent battery disconnect • A pending problem with the emission control system To meet readiness conditions, you must drive the car through a specific drive cycle. The drive cycle varies by make and model and includes driving through a range of conditions, engine speeds, and loads. Check your service manual and local emissions requirements for details.
When I saw ready status does not appear for my car using the durametric, I contacted durametric support, who told me that whether ready status appears on the durametric is car dependent, and ready status is NOT supported on durametric for any 991 models.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:22 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by btchin
When I saw ready status does not appear for my car using the durametric, I contacted durametric support, who told me that whether ready status appears on the durametric is car dependent, and ready status is NOT supported on durametric for any 991 models.
okay, did not tru it on mine. Buy a cheap autel for $30 to check. It will tell you which modules are ready so you dont waste time.
I had to do this after my dealer did a software update on my Audi and I had a smog check due.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Does your car have a tune?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 PM
btchin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
Does your car have a tune?
no
Old 06-11-2020, 03:19 AM
btchin
Intermediate

So I’ve now driven over 500 miles and completed numerous drive cycles and still can’t get EGR sensor into ready status (all other sensors are in ready status). There are no fault codes. Wondering if replacing my battery might make a difference as it is a little over 5 years old, although voltmeter is reading over 14.4 V.

anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sensor ready status for smog check