Sponsored by:

My parked Car was totaled by a distracted driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Sorry about the situation you are in.

Reach out to Rennlister SR5959. He recently went through this and did an excellent job advocating his own claim.

You'll be fine. You'll be made whole. Stay professional. Stay persistent. Stay calm.
The following 7 users liked this post by LexVan:
Cristophosphorus (05-16-2020), FlyJacket (05-17-2020), GT3FZS (05-16-2020), jimmiejam (09-11-2021), sr5959 (05-13-2020), The Ox (05-13-2020), TRM (05-14-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,552 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Sorry for your troubles.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

What a shame! Lovely color and will be hard to replace. Reminds me of Amaranth red but this is darker and richer.
These cars in these colors are rare so this is a big loss. To me, the financial part is just one aspect of it which I hope will get resolved in your favor.
Not meant as a criticism but from the posted pictures, the road looks fairly narrow so a distracted driver in a big SUV is bound to plow into something. If it had been a cyclist, he would be dead for sure.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:37 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Patience will be your best ally in this case.
Just know that the system is designed to minimize their losses, not yours.
But you have a lot favorable facts in your court, so be methodical, patient and document everything.
You may have to make some extra calls, but I have a feeling that you'll be fine in the end.
Keep us posted..
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (05-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:47 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sorry about the situation you are in.

Reach out to Rennlister SR5959. He recently went through this and did an excellent job advocating his own claim.

You'll be fine. You'll be made whole. Stay professional. Stay persistent. Stay calm.
Thanks Lex!

OP, I think you should eventually get much more than you paid back from the insurers. I don’t think advertised prices for 991’s have dropped much. I don’t know about actual sale prices in this climate but you should be able to find plenty of comparable examples for sale at around what you paid if not more.

My 991 was totaled about 7 months ago (as in your case other driver’s fault), and I eventually got a fair payout, but it took some work. Do not accept any offer unless it’s higher than what you paid, plus taxes, just be firm (but polite) with them when they call to make you the offer. Reference to the L word if they’re not being reasonable also helps even if you don’t actually engage a lawyer. I did not get shipping paid for on mine, and they claimed CPO doesn’t count for anything, but in the end their offer was fair.

Please feel free to DM me if you need more info. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:57 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

@desmotesta That sucks. What a beautiful car! I hope things work out for you. Not a lawyer but will be following your thread to see how it goes. Hope everything works out for you. Man.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Keep in mind that your settlement needs to include the increased rates you will be paying for insurance due to the accident. I recently went through your situation and learned this too late. The Insurance lobby has secured the following:

1. The approval to charge higher rates for ANY automible accident regardless of fault within 5 years.
2. If you call and ask if an issue is covered under your homeowners policy and even if they reject the claim as not covered they can charge you higher rates. This change may only be for a home however be careful what you say to them.
I called every major insurance company trying to get a better deal. Hartford, progressive, allstate geico all were congruent with the above statements. I've posted this in a previous thread. I provide this info for the op. If anyone thinks this info is inaccurate please fact check before reply. If you are an insurance person and work for a company that does not have this evil practice then pm me. I have lots of stuff to insure. at least for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by TimboCarrera:
Scott O'Connor (09-13-2021), TurboS_GG (05-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Keep in mind that your settlement needs to include the increased rates you will be paying for insurance due to the accident. I recently went through your situation and learned this too late. The Insurance lobby has secured the following:

1. The approval to charge higher rates for ANY automible accident regardless of fault within 5 years.
2. If you call and ask if an issue is covered under your homeowners policy and even if they reject the claim as not covered they can charge you higher rates. This change may only be for a home however be careful what you say to them.
I called every major insurance company trying to get a better deal. Hartford, progressive, allstate geico all were congruent with the above statements. I've posted this in a previous thread. I provide this info for the op. If anyone thinks this info is inaccurate please fact check before reply. If you are an insurance person and work for a company that does not have this evil practice then pm me. I have lots of stuff to insure. at least for now.
It's all dependent on how its reported to Nexuslexus or other third parties. If you need to dispute this with them OP has more than enough info to show the car was parked and he was 0% at fault. I agree this can be argued but I doubt hed get anything for that.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:20 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

This whole situation is now their problem. It’s their move. Wait them out
Old 05-13-2020, 09:29 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

I would wait for their initial offer, it may surprise you. If not, then I would find a good attorney.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:34 PM
ru_stupid2
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I must say, I have had better days

Took me 6 months to find my Low mile Ruby Red Metallic 991.1S and just 90 days later it was totaled by a distracted driver. Car was parked in front of my house and he ran into it doing over 35 MPH* and without even applying his brakes

Now comes the Fun part. The driver accepted 100% blame, was cited and provided his insurance info.

I filed a claim with my insurance so they can handle most of the claim for me and since they assured me (on a recorded line) that my premiums or 17 yr old relationship with them will not be affected by this.

Fast forward to 2 days later and both the adjusters from my company and offender's insurance company are making statements that lead me to one conclusion. No Way they can offer me anything close to what I paid for this 25K mile CPO beauty
I havnt been offered a number yet but things arent positive.

My question to those who have been through this.. Should I hire an attorney?
Have any of you been through this?
Can you share some insight and best practices when dealing with them?

Can you recommend an attorney or law firm? (I understand they may not practice in my state of NC)
I am told i should look for a property damage lawyer as there was no personal injury involved.

That's the worst feeling for sure and sorry for your loss. I hope you have a satisfactory conclusion.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:04 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry to see this. Hope for the best, and get a lot with the totaling of it. It will never be the same, so push to total.
GT3FZS (05-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Sorry for your loss. That’s a great car and they should sort you out. Know what you want and stick to it. This forum is a wealth of information so keep us posted.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Is there a legal basis to sue the other driver for losses above and beyond the agreed value of the damaged or destroyed car? Finding a desirable, unusual special car takes time and money (and will take more time and money to find a replacement). And during that time, the owner is deprived of something important.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 PM
7 treasures
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure what State you are in.
I am in CA and I have been an attorney for over 20 years.
When I started working, it was for an insurance defense firm. That work really sucked.
The money is in personal injury.
There is no wiggle room in car property damages. They use Kelley Blue book and that's it.
I do not know any attorneys who would handle a property only case.
So sorry. This totally sucks.
If I were in that situation, I would have the car repaired but find someone to do the job for less than the quote.
Then I would try to sell it. Someone would eventually buy it.
But, as noted previously, the economy is bad.
TurboS_GG (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: My parked Car was totaled by a distracted driver