Sponsored by:

NEED Coding Help for 991.2 in Ohio/Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 PM
ari.jay.comet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Coding Help for 991.2 in Ohio/Midwest

Just picked up a 991.2 C4S as a CPO, and would like to SWAP the location of my Front Axle Lift and my Spoiler Deploy buttons. I’m finding that my work and other locations require the axle lift, and pressing it requires taking my eyes off the road for too far/long. It’d be easier of the lift button was the TOP button.

I’ve read a few how-to on this such as the one by @plenum (although photo links are broken on that site/blog page). Process to swap button locations seems relatively straight forward to disassemble and move around — I’d be willing to try and tackle that myself. Problem is: CODING after. When I reached out to my primary (nearest) Porsche service center, they didn’t seem too keen on the idea. I’ve not yet called the further location (~45m away).

But if anyone in or near Ohio (Cleveland) or greater Midwest has suggestions for a good dealer or indie shop that can do the coding needed to tell the car the buttons were swapped locations that’d be really really helpful — I assume there is no DIY way without a PIWIS? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I am pretty sure the button functionality is based on the switch itself and not location. Why dont you try just moving the location of the buttons. I dont think you need piwis.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:02 PM
ari.jay.comet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I am pretty sure the button functionality is based on the switch itself and not location. Why dont you try just moving the location of the buttons. I dont think you need piwis.
According to this post, that does not appear to be the case:
https://plenums.blogspot.com/2015/03...le-switch.html

It talks about how the module is a single circuit board. So the CAN BUS needs to know what buttons are installed and at which locations. That said, I’d think the coding itself will just involve swapping some Hex or similar at two diff spots. I can’t see it being hard to do— but my dealer is likely to charge me way more while they “learn” on my dime. Hence finding a PIWIS experienced user might be helpful.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:59 AM
ari.jay.comet
Intermediate

@plenum you are only a 6 hour drive from me -- do you have a local Porsche dealership or indie shop that has PIWIS and experience with the coding? I'm not even kidding it may be needed. None of my local shops seem to want to help me with this. Ohio sucks!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree, Ari... I use the FAL daily and I find it really odd that Porsche decided a relatively useless spoiler button was better suited to be on top. I would mod this as well, if it was easy enough.

Quick Reply: NEED Coding Help for 991.2 in Ohio/Midwest