Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:41 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts

just to close the loop on this issue for anyone that finds it through the search:. My dealer burped it (that was the words they used). The official diagnostics says perform coolant bleed procedure per Porsche doc # xxxxxx

Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
just to close the loop on this issue for anyone that finds it through the search:. My dealer burped it (that was the words they used). The official diagnostics says perform coolant bleed procedure per Porsche doc # xxxxxx

Thanks for the reassurance.
I took the car out tonight after it sat for a week and had the issue again where the water temp spiked to the top of the gauge, same as before within 3 miles of home. I noted the oil temp hadn't even started to climb yet. I pulled over and shut it off. I could hear the front radiator fans running and the water temp dropped to about 210 quite quickly. I restarted the car and headed off again, but had the same issue within another mile, so I pulled over and let it cool for a few more minutes. This time the water temp came down to 194 and sat steady. The oil temp creeped up towards normal operating temps. I restarted and headed back home and the temps stayed dead steady, with no further issues. I guess there was another air bubble in the system although I am a little worried the water pump may not be running. That is a common BMW issue with electric water pumps. My dilemma is I am 270 miles from home at our lake cottage and was planning on driving home on Sunday. I haven't had any issues since the initial post in this thread, probably 2500 miles. The temp today was in the low 60s / high 50s, so the coolant level is probably lower than it has been since I bought the car (the tire pressures were down 7psi from when I parked it last week due to temps)

Any thoughts? Would you drive it home?

Last edited by Josh(PA); 09-12-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:15 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Well the water pump is driven by the belt so it is probably turning (if you look under the bumper when it is running it is the lowest pulley that you can see in the middle).
Check to see if the water pump is leaking again while you are there.
You can check the fluid level in the cap under the rear hood and add there ( but that is often low and usually only takes a cup of water to top off).
If you have a serious fluid loss you would get a guage warning.

I would try to drive it home,but it to a dealer to checkout. Does seem like a valve or a sensor might have stuck.
You have driven it long enough that air bubbles should be long gone
unless the fluid is very low..

Last edited by arter; 09-12-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Well the water pump is driven by the belt so it is probably turning (if you look under the bumper when it is running it is the lowest pulley that you can see in the middle).
Check to see if the water pump is leaking again while you are there.
You can check the fluid level in the cap under the rear hood and add there ( but that is often low and usually only takes a cup of water to top off).
If you have a serious fluid loss you would get a guage warning.

I would try to drive it home,but it to a dealer to checkout. Does seem like a valve or a sensor might have stuck.
You have driven it long enough that air bubbles should be long gone
unless the fluid is very low..
thanks for the info. I had assumed the 991.2 cars had an electric water pump, it is reassuring that they are still belt driven.

I checked the coolant level this am and it was at min, so I added a little less than a cup of distilled water to bring it up. I'll drive it a few times this weekend and if all goes well I'll take it home and get it checked out next week to be sure.

EDIT: I was informed on another message board that the gauge will spike if your coolant level is low. I hadn't heard of that before, can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Josh(PA); 09-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:13 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

had pump replaced month ago warranty, dealer bled it with some fancy machine,,drove 1 hr home, checked in morning, no leaks but had to add 2 cups coolant,,all is good so far, about 500 miles
Old 11-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

This issue has happened two additional times on my car over the last month (including Saturday). Both times, very similar failure mode and the same as the original 'pre-burp' failure: First drive of the day, within 4 miles of my starting point, water temp climbs very rapidly to 250+ with red warning on multi-function screen, oil temp still near or below 150F. I pull over, pop the engine bay and get it cooled off. From there it behaves fine.

I took it to the dealer today and they shared that Porsche has identified a follow up issue with water pump replacements on 991.2 cars where the coolant winds up in the vacuum lines and travels to the 'valve block'. Fix is to replace the lines and the valve i believe (i'll post more in a couple days when I get the car back). My service advisor stated that Porsche has just recently made these steps part of the water pump replacement procedure going forward.

Last edited by Josh(PA); 11-11-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

This issue has happened two additional times on my car over the last month (including Saturday). Both times, very similar failure mode and the same as the original 'pre-burp' failure: First drive of the day, within 4 miles of my starting point, water temp climbs very rapidly to 250+ with red warning on multi-function screen, oil temp still near or below 150F. I pull over, pop the engine bay and get it cooled off. From there it behaves fine.

I took it to the dealer today and they shared that Porsche has identified a follow up issue with water pump replacements on 991.2 cars where the coolant winds up in the vacuum lines and travels to the 'valve block'. Fix is to replace the lines and the valve i believe (i'll post more in a couple days when I get the car back). My service advisor stated that Porsche has just recently made these steps part of the water pump replacement procedure going forward.

What's interesting is that your fans never kicked in. When my water temp shoots up past 210F, fans kick it. At 250F, it sounds like a jumbo jet about to take off; the first time it happened (still happening intermittently), I literally thought an 18 wheeler was around me in a populated town and put my windows down. Then I looked down on my dashboard and sure enough, water temp rising to 250F- 260F and immediately pulled over to cool down.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

The last two overheats included the front fans running like crazy. The interesting thing is the temps dropped just as fast as they increased when I pulled over, opened the engine hatch and shut it down.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:46 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

The last two overheats included the front fans running like crazy.
I see. How about the rears? My rears were going off like crazy too.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

The last two overheats included the front fans running like crazy. The interesting thing is the temps dropped just as fast as they increased when I pulled over, opened the engine hatch and shut it down.
Yeah, Mine dropped quickly too. Went from 250+ F to 190's in a few minutes.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:46 AM
bukit
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe TSB 122-Z6Y2F-03 addresses this issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30113-9999.pdf
Old 12-24-2020, 10:51 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

so if we had dealer put on another "manufacturing defect" pump under warranty this is going to keep on happening
Old 12-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Haven't looked at this thread in a while - you had exactly the same problem I did (see further up). Glad it is resolved!
Old 12-24-2020, 04:13 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

is it resolved?if they put the same pump,valve block, etc, is it going to happen again/
Old 12-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barncobob
is it resolved?if they put the same pump,valve block, etc, is it going to happen again/
my car is tucked away for the winter now, but I drove it a good bit after the valve block service and all was well. I hope it stays that way in spring.

Quick Reply: Overheat Issue