Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from KW HAS to Bilstein B16?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020 | 05:37 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Default from KW HAS to Bilstein B16?

Ive had the KW HAS kit on my car for a about 6 months and absolutely love the stance and look. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the ride. It is way too bouncy. I can say that the DSC made a bit of a difference but it still doest ride like a Porsche should. Though its not a huge problem as I don't daily it I would like to replace the kit to a more proper set up which will look and drive better than stock. Reading up on options I believe the Bilstein B16 is a good choice but looking for people with hands on experience for feedback. Anyone gone from KW to B16?
Old 04-28-2020 | 01:36 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Can anyone provide feedback on the B16 kit at all?
Old 04-28-2020 | 03:32 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eysa
Can anyone provide feedback on the B16 kit at all?
I went from TechArt Lowered SPASM car to B16's and DSC V2. It's a great upgrade, I am super happy with the setup. Not as hardcore as a linear spring coilover setup like a tractive, but a nice compromise of street and track.

I had 50K+ on my original suspension so I am sure that made a difference for me as my original parts probably had some wear on them. I like that that I was able to keep the factory PASM functionality.

Also I got a ripping deal on mine, so that was a big part as well.
Old 04-28-2020 | 08:41 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Went from SPASM to B16's with DSC V2, also very happy. Not too stiff in normal mode but def firm. Love it in the twisties. At some point I would like to get aftermarket upper mounts such as the Tarret/Rennline or Elephant.

One thing to note is that with the PDCC adapters (if needed) ride height lowering in front is limited to around stock GT3 height, 27.25".
Old 04-28-2020 | 11:55 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

How low are your cars and how does it ride compared to stock? also, by going with B16 does that mean i lose the factory SPASM?
Old 04-28-2020 | 12:08 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

How low are your cars and how does it ride compared to stock? also, by going with B16 does that mean i lose the factory SPASM?
I am at about 27" front 27 1/8 rear. Aligment -1.7 front, toe 0, -2 rear toe nearly 0 (slightly in).

It rides firmer than stock, as the spring rates are a good bit higher. More GT3 like.

What do you mean lose factory SPASM? If you mean ability to control them electronically, no, they are plug-n-play with the OE system. Bilstein makes the OE system. You can use a DSC if you want, or not. I am running the GT3 Touring map on DSC which seems to work well.

Based on the spring rates you currently have, I imagine they won't feel much stiffer, but hopefully less "bouncy" due to the increased shock damping/quality.

Spring Rates
  • KW HAS: 44nm/100nm
  • GT3: 45nm/120nm
  • Bilstein B16 Damptronic full coilovers: 50nm/110nm
Old 04-28-2020 | 12:24 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I am at about 27" front 27 1/8 rear. Aligment -1.7 front, toe 0, -2 rear toe nearly 0 (slightly in).

It rides firmer than stock, as the spring rates are a good bit higher. More GT3 like.

What do you mean lose factory SPASM? If you mean ability to control them electronically, no, they are plug-n-play with the OE system. Bilstein makes the OE system. You can use a DSC if you want, or not. I am running the GT3 Touring map on DSC which seems to work well.

Based on the spring rates you currently have, I imagine they won't feel much stiffer, but hopefully less "bouncy" due to the increased shock damping/quality.

Spring Rates
  • KW HAS: 44nm/100nm
  • GT3: 45nm/120nm
  • Bilstein B16 Damptronic full coilovers: 50nm/110nm
I too am running the GT3 map on the DSC which helped quite a bit but the bounciness is just unbearable for me. I may try raising the rear just a tad and see if it makes any difference. My concern is I go through the trouble and expense of the B16 and am right back where I started. If I could get rid of the bounce i'd be beyond content. Since there is really no chance of me driving a GTS with the B16 do you think driving a GT3 will give me a close enough feel to it?
Old 04-28-2020 | 12:33 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Since there is really no chance of me driving a GTS with the B16 do you think driving a GT3 will give me a close enough feel to it?
Not sure. I would imagine GT3 will still feel a little harsher...
Old 04-28-2020 | 04:27 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Not sure. I would imagine GT3 will still feel a little harsher...
The GT3 has more monoballs, and completely different control arms etc. Also to note that the B16 share the inverted strut design similar to the GT cars so you should get some front end stiffness. But I Tom from TPC states that the internals are essentially identical between our stock and B16 Bilsteins.

You might want to mess around with your DSC settings, I am sure you can increase the damping to your liking to make it feel less boaty. But remember, especially on normal streets, stiffer/less compliant doesn't always mean better or faster.

Have you been in a 720S or any MagRide car? They don't feel as "stiff" as a GT car, but at the limit, the compliance allows me to drive a lot faster, especially through bump corners.

The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 04:27 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

I may try raising the rear just a tad and see if it makes any difference.
The KW instructions state a suggested height or minimum limit. If you are under that, the spring will have less preload and could be bouncier than it would at its "correct" height. Worth a shot and will only cost you an alignment if you like the new height.

Page 4
http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWHFS-h25371045.pdf
Joec500 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 06:01 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I went from TechArt Lowered SPASM car to B16's and DSC V2. It's a great upgrade, I am super happy with the setup. Not as hardcore as a linear spring coilover setup like a tractive, but a nice compromise of street and track.

I had 50K+ on my original suspension so I am sure that made a difference for me as my original parts probably had some wear on them. I like that that I was able to keep the factory PASM functionality.

Also I got a ripping deal on mine, so that was a big part as well.
@Joec500 bro, PM me who did your install and how much. I'm itching to do an upgrade on my car when were done with Shelter in Place. Full Coilover is one of the things on my mind.
Old 04-28-2020 | 06:03 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
@Joec500 bro, PM me who did your install and how much. I'm itching to do an upgrade on my car when were done with Shelter in Place. Full Coilover is one of the things on my mind.
I'd like to know as well i'm also in SF bay
Old 04-28-2020 | 09:32 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koven
I'd like to know as well i'm also in SF bay
Alexshop in Fremont did my install, I purchased the coilovers from an individual brand new at a price I would rather not say to **** all you guys off LOL. So that deal won't really be around. But I think they are go for $2500ish

If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider ditching the electronic dampers for Ohlin Road and Tracks. I didn't know they have a kit for PDCC cars or else I probably would have gone that route.

Old 04-28-2020 | 09:34 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Alexshop in Fremont did my install, I purchased the coilovers from an individual brand new at a price I would rather not say to **** all you guys off LOL. So that deal won't really be around. But I think they are go for $2500ish

If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider ditching the electronic dampers for Ohlin Road and Tracks. I didn't know they have a kit for PDCC cars or else I probably would have gone that route.
i've been wanting to go there for some work, ive heard good things, ive been taking mine to br racing since it's closer, also a great shop
Old 04-28-2020 | 09:50 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

B16 here.
Initial impressions were horrible after the installation. Bouncy, harsh and noisy.

After setup, corner balance and alignment at @SupremePower it made the world of difference. I cant impress hard enough how important getting the corner weights balanced was to eliminating the bounciness and porpoising of the car. Used the GT3 .2 RS ride height and alignment numbers to start. Understanding that the steering geometry is not identical to the Carrera's, it was a good place to start all other things considered.

The integration with PASM is important to me. Soft on the daily commute, and sporty when you want it to be.

Really happy with the quality and performance.
*** get a proper corner balance ***

Last edited by 3DMetal; 04-28-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: words.
SupremePower (04-29-2020)

Quick Reply: from KW HAS to Bilstein B16?